Skip navigation

Mike's helios blue 2.0 16vG60

Back to the top

New gearbox in!

Nice work on sorting it out properly. Nice info on the gearboxes to.

I bet it flys!

You have a pm by the way.

Back to the top
Nice one Mike, it's good to see some more info about it. 

What do you think of CFM, as we have been talking about doing a group rolling road day for a while. 

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top

James_W said

Nice one Mike, it's good to see some more info about it. 

What do you think of CFM, as we have been talking about doing a group rolling road day for a while. 

Has to be worthwhile giving them a call-whether it's just for power runs or a bit of tuning too. They definitely know their stuff with the KR engines as they prepare a couple of mk2 race cars

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top
Mike, what fuel pump are you running and did you need to use multiple gaskets again ?

Nice set up  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Cero said

Mike, what fuel pump are you running and did you need to use multiple gaskets again ?

The fuel pump was on the car when I got it - pretty sure it's not a standard mk1 gti item and it looks a lot like the one smudger1980 has on his car. Can get you a pic if you like? It runs with a 3.5bar FPR

Do you mean stacked head gaskets? If so, no - I went for low comp pistons instead during the rebuild as although I've heard of people perfectly happy with them, I'd always be thinking they were a potential weak point

Build thread here

Back to the top
Mike, post the fuel pump pics up please. Is that a Scirocco inlet manifold you're using, if so, 46 or 50mm ?
What made you decide on the G60 versus say a lysholm screw ?

Back to the top
I am using a Bosch 044 fuel pump in a gti cradle with foam if that helps. Cost me just over £100. I will be using a 4bar fpr for my conversion :)

Back to the top

Cero said

Mike, post the fuel pump pics up please. Is that a Scirocco inlet manifold you're using, if so, 46 or 50mm ?

It's a 'rocco manifold - 42mm I think, not 50 anyway.

I didn't really make the decision on G60 versus Lysolm charger as I bought the car with the G60 fitted so I just got it rebuilt.  I've seen a few youtube clips of lysolm charged cars - without the silencer kit on them they sound mental!

Will get a pic and more info on the fuel pump tonight - not been out to the garage in a while but I should find time later, plus I put the car away wet last night after the Berks meet so it needs a run to make sure it's properly dry

Build thread here

Back to the top
Just read through your thread.....thats my dream engine! Do you still have the zender spoiler by chance?

Back to the top

shepp said

Just read through your thread…..thats my dream engine! Do you still have the zender spoiler by chance?
Thanks mate - appreciated. It does go pretty nicely along the back roads.

robbarcas had the spoiler a while back for his project - sorry

Build thread here

Back to the top
What an extremely nice car and even nicer engine in it!  :wub:

Back to the top
A few nice shiny bits arrived from Germany over the last couple of weeks:

Rod change kit for mk1 with 02A By Claus von Essen. Had read a bit about these but couldn't find a decent review (good or bad) from anyone that was running one, so thought I'd give it a try. All looks very nicely made

€105 so about £90 delivered

And these 02A mounts from Epytec

€94 delivered = £84 recommended by hotgolf. About half what they are on sale for over here.

Build thread here

Back to the top

Cero said

Pretty sure my fuel pump is the same as Sumdger's although I couldn't see the number on it without cutting cable ties on the foam protector thing and don't have replacements to hand

Build thread here

Back to the top
Those mounts look spot on Mike, I'll be running an 02A on my 20V T, these will do nicely! Let us know how the rod change kit works out, looks like a nice bit of kit too. :cool:

Back to the top
Mike, does that mean your using the 02A casing with different internals ?

Back to the top

Cero said

Mike, does that mean your using the 02A casing with different internals ?

It's a mk3 16v 'box (CDA) with VR6 final drive and Peloquin diff. The ratios end up being pretty much the same as a VR6 box but the bellhousing on that would be different for the 6 cylinder engine.
It's possible to change ratios in the box while it's being rebuilt, although 1st and 2nd come as a pair so you you have to change them both together if you want to

Build thread here

Back to the top

tidymike said

Cero said

Pretty sure my fuel pump is the same as Sumdger's although I couldn't see the number on it without cutting cable ties on the foam protector thing and don't have replacements to hand
I am using a Bosch 044 pump in my 20v. Plenty powerful enough according to the experts. Fits snugly in the foam and GTI cradle. Pics are in my build thread (link below).

Smudger

Back to the top
Mike, so you're running a cable shift and not hydraulic set up. Are you using the Seat parts for this at the clutch end ? Interested to see different set ups, what works & what doesn't.

Back to the top
Cable clutch, yes - got the Seat actuator parts from one of the Berks group. I don't have the Toledo cable yet but was going to wait until I've got it installed in the car. I'm told it *should* give a smooth and light action with the cable routed around the front of the engine and straight through the firewall but we'll see!

Build thread here

Back to the top
Mike I went for a Seat clutch cable and it was a bit of a pi$$er to fit. Needed to of us to do in the end. Let me know if you need any fitting tips ;)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.