Skip navigation

LSD group buy. **Register your interest here by 31st May**

Back to the top
Steer well clear of the obx diffs I had one in my mk1 r32 VWM box cost about 200 quid cheaper than a quaife one by the time i payed postage and tax managed 250/300 miles then chucked its internals in to the box the result ended up costing 2k to replace all the damaged parts and casing in the end not to mention the ball ache to go with it

Back to the top
Thanks for the info mate.

It seems the OBX diffs might not be as good as originally thought so perhaps those interested would be more interested in other makes?

What are peoples thoughts on this?

I think the popular makes are

Quaife - well known make/trusted
OBX - cheapest and very mixed reviews
Wavetrac - popular in the USA and regarded as tough
Peloquin - Good reputation but quite expensive.

I guess it all comes down to £££ at the end of the day and what people are expecting to pay.

Discuss………..

Back to the top

ashtray said

Steer well clear of the obx diffs I had one in my mk1 r32 VWM box cost about 200 quid cheaper than a quaife one by the time i payed postage and tax managed 250/300 miles then chucked its internals in to the box the result ended up costing 2k to replace all the damaged parts and casing in the end not to mention the ball ache to go with it

As I thought, cheers mate I for one won't be going near anything OBX.  :thumbs:

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
Never heard a bad word said against quaife to be fair I think there worth a bit of extra cash for the peace of mind unless you can afford to get a drenth one like I did theses are awesome but mega bucks 

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Thanks for the info mate.

It seems the OBX diffs might not be as good as originally thought so perhaps those interested would be more interested in other makes?

What are peoples thoughts on this?

I think the popular makes are

Quaife - well known make/trusted
OBX - cheapest and very mixed reviews
Wavetrac - popular in the USA and regarded as tough
Peloquin - Good reputation but quite expensive.

I guess it all comes down to £££ at the end of the day and what people are expecting to pay.

Discuss………..

Have heard good things about Quaife, not touching OBX now, have read good things about Wavetrac, Peloquin again I have read some horror stories about them exploding. I would rather go for Quaife or Wavetraq, the warranty in the diff is irrelevant as if it goes bang it's going to destroy the box plus more too, I would rather pay a bit more and get quality.

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
OK Joe no worries mate. Let's see what others think. I think the Wavetracs from my initial enquiries are coming out around the £750 mark. peloquin are a bit cheaper and around the same sort of money as Quaife but Quaifes need more money on a fitting kit whereas Peloquins come with it.

I am happy to go with the masses really. Post up your thoughts those that are interested and Pete and I will do our best.

Back to the top
How much are we looking for the standard GTI 1.8 MFA box 020 ?

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top

volkswarren said

Not being funny but if you've got enough torque to need an LSD you're probably going to destroy your 'box in fairly short order, so go for an O2A instead for the investment

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top

volkswarren said

Depends on which diff you are interested in mate and what your budget is. Myself and Pete are in the process of obtaining prices from various sources here and in the USA for Quaife,Wavetrac,OBX and Peloquin diffs. Their prices vary immensly.

Back to the top
For the o2a box you can get the diff replacement bolts from Vw as there riveted in from factory and have to be drilled to remove diff
 I had a bonus once as I brought a box for 50 quid and had it stripped to put in a LSD but it already had one in happy days

Back to the top

ashtray said

For the o2a box you can get the diff replacement bolts from Vw as there riveted in from factory and have to be drilled to remove diff
 I had a bonus once as I brought a box for 50 quid and had it stripped to put in a LSD but it already had one in happy days

Some people have all the luck  :P  :P  :lol:  ;)

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

volkswarren said

Depends on which diff you are interested in mate and what your budget is. Myself and Pete are in the process of obtaining prices from various sources here and in the USA for Quaife,Wavetrac,OBX and Peloquin diffs. Their prices vary immensly.

I'm planing on a 1.8t but it will only be an agu 150 bhp, from what I can see they kick around 165- 170 when the cat is off n there in a mk1, as for blowing the box up, fitting a LSD is removing the weak link in these boxes so I can't see that being an issue.

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
I run an OBX diff in a Quaife 6spd 02a Dog box.
It works, it's been no problem but it needs to be fitted correctly.  It's basically a direct copy of the Quiafe and works like a Quaife.

There's far too many people fitting diffs without correct pre-loading which eventually go bang. I've come across it a few times where the diff bearings have given up and taken out both diff and final drive. The big give away is spalling and pitting from impact damage, along with rollers floating around in the oil lol

With an OBX a quick stripdown and clean is a must. What does fail is the belleville washers in the centre of the diff. They are really brittle, but can be changed for Quaife items for about £12-15. The main bolts holding it together are fine, but it has been mentioned in other threads on the net that these should be changed.  They are 12.9's but still for the sake of a fiver I'd change them out.

I have personally tested the OBX internals with a Mitutoyo hardness tester and it was basically the same as the Quaife within a few rockwell (I used to work as calibration tech. and had access to testing equipment) I myself had doubts but for the price had to try it, and I was in the position to test the quality first hand.

It cost me £320 all in delivered including import tax, about £250 less than a quaife.
I use mine with a 200+bhp 16v engine running to 8400rpm and it's been fine. The only noise I hear is from the dog engagement and straight cut gears whinning like a b tch lol

If anyone has any doubts then don't buy one end of. Spend the extra for piece of mind. Quaife are good, fit and forget. They are non-adjustable but once they are in thats it. They do what they say on the tin.

With any LSD apart from the Peloquin you'll need to buy a pair of diff bearings and a set of diff bolts(fitting kit) at the very least. The Peloquin comes with bearings, bolts and a drive gear which is a nice touch. All I will say is that the box needs a complete stripdown to get the diff in(pinion shaft stays as one) so think about this ifyou're having one. It would be false economy not to change the basics whilst it's in bits.

Anyway, just a bit of food for thought.
HG.

Back to the top

volkswarren said

smudger1980 said

volkswarren said

I'm planing on a 1.8t but it will only be an agu 150 bhp, from what I can see they kick around 165- 170 when the cat is off n there in a mk1, as for blowing the box up, fitting a LSD is removing the weak link in these boxes so I can't see that being an issue.

Power estimate might be right mate, but I wouldn't waste your money, my car is running that sort of power, standard AGU with 3.0" decat exhaust. I am getting it mapped but not yet, I am saving for bigger turbo and other bits, rather than get it mapped twice just get it done the once.

The 020 boxes are plentiful and cheap so thats a bonus, plus you can use the original linkage, clutch etc. But as stated above, it won't last with LSD power. Plus why would you spend the money on an LSD for a box that costs a tenth of the price of it. You are also massively limited in the future if you do want to upgrade for more power and on top of that, you don't really need an LSD on a FWD car until you go over 200bhp. Like I said I have that sort of power and I never have any issues with traction or spinning the wheels unless I want to spin them. IMO I don't need an LSD…. yet :DHope that helps :thumbs:

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top

Back to the top

hotgolf said

seems like the problem is with the washers. i belivee if fitted right and better fitting kit it be fine. thanks mart just what i wanted to read. i be the guinea pig when my fully mapped should be in the 320/310  :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Back to the top

hotgolf said

Are the Quaifes machined properly in comparison? Don't like those burrs! That looks like it was machined in 5 minutes!  O_o

As long as it was cleaned up and assembled properly I imagine it would be okay, I'm still not touching it though lol

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top

hotgolf said

I run an OBX diff in a Quaife 6spd 02a Dog box.
It works, it's been no problem but it needs to be fitted correctly.  It's basically a direct copy of the Quiafe and works like a Quaife.

There's far too many people fitting diffs without correct pre-loading which eventually go bang. I've come across it a few times where the diff bearings have given up and taken out both diff and final drive. The big give away is spalling and pitting from impact damage, along with rollers floating around in the oil lol

With an OBX a quick stripdown and clean is a must. What does fail is the belleville washers in the centre of the diff. They are really brittle, but can be changed for Quaife items for about £12-15. The main bolts holding it together are fine, but it has been mentioned in other threads on the net that these should be changed.  They are 12.9's but still for the sake of a fiver I'd change them out.

I have personally tested the OBX internals with a Mitutoyo hardness tester and it was basically the same as the Quaife within a few rockwell (I used to work as calibration tech. and had access to testing equipment) I myself had doubts but for the price had to try it, and I was in the position to test the quality first hand.

It cost me £320 all in delivered including import tax, about £250 less than a quaife.
I use mine with a 200+bhp 16v engine running to 8400rpm and it's been fine. The only noise I hear is from the dog engagement and straight cut gears whinning like a b tch lol

If anyone has any doubts then don't buy one end of. Spend the extra for piece of mind. Quaife are good, fit and forget. They are non-adjustable but once they are in thats it. They do what they say on the tin.

With any LSD apart from the Peloquin you'll need to buy a pair of diff bearings and a set of diff bolts(fitting kit) at the very least. The Peloquin comes with bearings, bolts and a drive gear which is a nice touch. All I will say is that the box needs a complete stripdown to get the diff in(pinion shaft stays as one) so think about this ifyou're having one. It would be false economy not to change the basics whilst it's in bits.

Anyway, just a bit of food for thought.
HG.

Why would put a cheep copy of a quaife lsd
In a  quaife gearbox the gear set costs 3500 quid alone no way I would risk that for 250 quid 

Back to the top
Im going to be running in the region off 500 at 8-9k so im not too bothered about scrimping on something that will help put it down ;) 

Back to the top
I haven't risked it, I bought something, had it tested and fitted it.
I've been around long enough not to just chuck something in without first doing my homework. I've been building boxes for 10yrs+ so I've come across all the big names and have seen what you get for your money.
If I was going to suggest a fit and forget LSD I'd go for the Peloquin. The aftersales is actually better than Quaife when something isn't right, but Quaife are handy being in the UK.

As I said, if you don't trust them, don't fit one. It's your choice which I respect. It's your money lol

Again, I'll say the Quaife are a nice piece of kit. Yes they are machined properly with quality control with all burrs removed. Same as the Peloquins, Wavetrac, Gripper (these don't fit properly either by the way) etc etc
There are too many online users to list.