Skip navigation

LSD group buy. **Register your interest here by 31st May**

Back to the top
Guys and girls (and Massbad)

Following on from page 19 and 20 of my build thread HERE it has become clear that there is an interest in people upograding their gearboxes with an LSD. PeteG60 has been in contact with someone who can obtain various diffs at a resaonable price and can offer advice/bolts/bearings and fitting kits as well as a fitting service as required.

I know many of the 20vt and G60 gang are in the market for one of these to reign in some of their traction issues so I have started this thread.Please register your interest below if you are definately interested in obtaining a diff through this group buy.

At this very early stage I am only looking for a definate show of interest along with your gearbox type and what sort of service you would require. i.e Fitting kit./full fitting.

Please reply by the 31st of May to this thread and I will then take all this info to the supplier and come back with prices for you.

Back to the top
  1. Peteg60 - Diff and full fitting service + kit
  2. Smudger1980 - 02a CBA box - full fitting service + kit.

Back to the top
Since posting about these diffs, I did some reading on OBX, it seems that its not great gear. The manifolds they make are cheap copies of more expensive well designed items and to me a company that makes one product like this will make another. As far as I'm concerned I would rather spend more on a proper item, so I am interested but only if its a decent well known brand such as Quaife etc. There are others that I know are good but I'm not keen on this. As well as this hotgolf puts this perfectly above, the diff doesn't fit perfectly. To me a diff is a precision piece of engineering that should fit perfectly without the need for fettling. I know hotgolf knows his stuff, (he lightened my flywheel on my 1.8T) but I bet he can name other LSD's that are better.

Just my thoughts….

(I don't mean to pi55 on everyones fire here I would just rather we did a GB on something that was of a high quality than save money on tat.)

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
i will get price on all differnt diffs. im liking the new wavetrac diff

Wavetrac® Differential - A torque biasing differential with a difference

ive also heard bad things about the obx diffs. but many use them without problems. it depends on what people are perpared to pay 300 quid or 800 quid just for the diff.

Back to the top

peterg60 said

i will get price on all differnt diffs. im liking the new wavetrac diff

Wavetrac® Differential - A torque biasing differential with a difference

ive also heard bad things about the obx diffs. but many use them without problems. it depends on what people are perpared to pay 300 quid or 800 quid just for the diff.
Cool, as far as what people are prepared to spend, the diff is a major part of the gearbox and directly affects the grip the car has. A cheap one that fails at the wrong time could cost more in damage to your car or worse. I would rather spend money on quality. Aside from that I'm in… :)

Peterg60 - Diff and full fitting service + kit
Smudger1980 - 02a CBA box - full fitting service + kit.
Joe90k - 02J box - Diff and full fitting service + kit

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
will this offer be available for most vag box's as i'll be interested if you could do it for a vr6 o2a box

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top
you do love going about things the wrong way, Group buys are a lot easier to run if you have prices up front for the product you are trying obtain.

find the item you want, find a supplier who is willing to deal with it all, then get prices of being able to ship out 1-5 6-10 etc getting increasing discount on numbers shipped.

Back to the top

JonP said

you do love going about things the wrong way, Group buys are a lot easier to run if you have prices up front for the product you are trying obtain.

find the item you want, find a supplier who is willing to deal with it all, then get prices of being able to ship out 1-5 6-10 etc getting increasing discount on numbers shipped.

It's good to know numbers for negotiation though, lots of people were interested when it was in Smudgers thread. 

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
50% will drop out when the prices get put up or orders need to be placed.

TSR might be worth an approach for Quaife diffs, they do  deals every now and then on them. Or if you can get hold of a peloquin supplier in the states.

Last edit: by JonP

Back to the top
Im in the market for a diff so will be interested.  Ive also heard good things about the wavetrak diff.  So is this group buy for a wavetrak diff?

Back to the top
Peterg60 - Diff and full fitting service + kit
Smudger1980 - 02a CBA box - full fitting service + kit.
Joe90k - 02J box - Diff and full fitting service + kit
Jimbo198966- 02a box - fully fitted +kit

:)

Photobucket

Back to the top
I have a Peloquin one in my 02J and it has been spot on - you definitely know its in there !! Hold that wheel tight :-)

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
As said before this is to gauge interest only at this stage so Pete could go back to the supplier and give numbers and details of what was required and go from there.

I always find it helpful to have numbers to hand so you have a bargaining tool rather than theoretical discounts based on interested parties not yet obtained.

Pete can you find out some prices for the Wavetrac diff which I guess will be far more than the OBX one and post up what is said. We can then offer a choice for people.

Back to the top

Joe90k said

JonP said

It's good to know numbers for negotiation though, lots of people were interested when it was in Smudgers thread. 

:thumbs:

Back to the top
PM sent to you Pete.

I have asked Pete to go back to the supplier and find out if the Wavetrac diff could be obtained. I will post up when he gets back to me :)

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

As said before this is to gauge interest only at this stage so Pete could go back to the supplier and give numbers and details of what was required and go from there.

I always find it helpful to have numbers to hand so you have a bargaining tool rather than theoretical discounts based on interested parties not yet obtained.

Pete can you find out some prices for the Wavetrac diff which I guess will be far more than the OBX one and post up what is said. We can then offer a choice for people.

interest will plummet when people have to hand over cash, specially when it will mount up to near a grand all in. whats a diff on its own £400-500+?

run and seen enough group buys, to see this happen.

don't want to pee on your parade. but people change their minds.

Back to the top
Fully appreciate people change their minds mate which is why I want numbers before Pete gets a price and then assess once people put their money with their mouth is. If there isn't enough interest then so be it but I want to try at this stage and see if there is enough interest to obtain some money off for us all.

:)

Back to the top

dik-van-dub said

will this offer be available for most vag box's as i'll be interested if you could do it for a vr6 o2a box

Should be the same as only the bellhousing is different. Mart's price (hotgolf) will be the same anyway, as will the prices for bearings etc.

He's just finished building my 'box - 02A CDA box (mk3 16v) with VR6 final drive and Peloquin diff. Collecting it at the weekend  :)  :)  :)

Worth mentioning here that if you're having your box rebuilt by Mart then he can do stuff like changing ratios. Lots on cgti about this but putting in 1/2 from a VR6 box or changing final drive are cheap mods. I spent quite a long time with a spreadsheet working out exactly what I wanted for mine (before finding someone else had already done exactly the same using a quaife gear ratio calculator tool!)

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top
Just had to replys bk so I just update as Ithey keep coming. Tsr replyed bk with 5 or more buyers on a quafie diff without fitting kit will be £540. And an extra £100 for fitting kit with Apr bolts. A company in the states just replyed if 5 or more on obx diff it will be £258 quid plus 3£32 quid each for shipping. You will need eBay fitting kit £106. I've emailed about 20 companys last nite for different diffs and prices so will post bk as soon as they come bj to me

Back to the top
Top work Pete. Thanks mate.  :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.