Skip navigation

Original GTI Suspension (New!)

Back to the top
Ok, it's a long shot!

Has anyone by chance got new and unused suspension for a MK1 GTI lurking in their shed/garage/attic? I can't get it all from VW anymore and whilst I think I can get dampers new, I can't get springs.

I had settled on buying a Spax kit, but have two friends who have just bought Spax for two different makes of car and had issues with the parts, plus a lot of issues with supply and customer service so it's put me off. Therefore trying this angle on it - or something low mileage considered.

Let me know what you've got if it's new/very tidy - I'm after everything, i.e. struts, springs, dampers etc..

Many thanks
Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Andy I got standard stuff just last year off GSF so it's still out there. You could also look at uprated kit from the likes of Bilstein Streetline which I believe comes with all new struts not just inserts.

Back to the top
GSF isn't any good for standard GTI springs.

If you count them there are about seven different spring rates for the A1 platformed cars but GSF only list for a couple. I know Gammy bought some from GSF and his GTI sat like a 4x4!

Bilstein B4 dampers are as close to OEM as you can get for GTI. I think they supplied VW originally

FYI GTI tintop front springs should have 2 blue paint marks and the rears have 3 yellow marks.

I guess the £60 each I paid for rears back in 2008 were probably a good buy now you can't get them.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Thanks for all the info and help guys. It does seem that the springs are the issues as I can get the dampers I think and at worst some reasonable condition struts and have them powder coated.

I just can't have anything too low due to my steep drive - and preference - and I plan to keep the car pretty much standard anyway so OEM set up would be ideal.

Shame you just can't buy it over the counter anymore. I nearly did from VW a few years back but never got around to it!  :P

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks again for the links. Springcoil came back to me today. They estimate only £35 + VAT per spring which I think is great value for them to make one-off springs.

However, they don't have the specs on file. I don't suppose anyone has a clue where I can find the exact specs they'll need?? (I'll start Googling now!!)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Springcoil came back to me today. They estimate only £35 + VAT per spring which I think is great value for them to make one-off springs.

Good researching :thumbs: But for that sort of money you could buy top quality Eibach springs which are as close to OEM quality as you'll get with definite development to suit the GTI :dry:

Back to the top
Fair point. To be honest the more I think of it the more dubious I am about going this route, not a criticism of the spring companies but if I don't give them the right specs then I'm screwed!

I've been going around in circles on what to get, but coming round to the idea of Bilstein B12 kit. This has Eibach springs fitted. Not the cheapest kit but should be good and what came off my MK1 was Bilstein and whilst a little old and tired it rode well

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I had Eibach springs on mine and took them off, too hard in my opinion for road use. Re-fitted standard springs, very much more to my old bones' liking  ;)

Back to the top

Cero said

I had Eibach springs on mine and took them off, too hard in my opinion for road use. Re-fitted standard springs, very much more to my old bones' liking  ;)
I did wonder about that. I've never run them myself but all anyone's ever said about them is that they are the best.

I guess we need some more research to find the standard GTI spring rates and have them posted up here so they never get lost :cool:

Back to the top
Chudd from memory had Eibach springs on Koni shocks on his 20V MK1. The ride was excellent, firm but not crashy or harsh. I guess it's just down to which Eibach springs you use.

Good idea on getting the spring rates - who's brave enough to commit to the numbers though! :)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Good idea on getting the spring rates - who's brave enough to commit to the numbers though! :)

…Thinking about it, I'll email VW - you never know, they may hand over the info?!  :)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Hairyarse said

…Thinking about it, I'll email VW - you never know, they may hand over the info?!  :)

Good idea! :wub: Or to find out the company who originally supplied VW with the springs and ask them?

Back to the top
I've emailed VW UK and Germany so will see what I get back

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Would be interested in finding a suitable set for my GTi as well.

Back to the top

Yomp said

GSF isn't any good for standard GTI springs.

If you count them there are about seven different spring rates for the A1 platformed cars but GSF only list for a couple. I know Gammy bought some from GSF and his GTI sat like a 4x4!

Bilstein B4 dampers are as close to OEM as you can get for GTI. I think they supplied VW originally

FYI GTI tintop front springs should have 2 blue paint marks and the rears have 3 yellow marks.

I guess the £60 each I paid for rears back in 2008 were probably a good buy now you can't get them.

didnt know that bout the spring marks thanks ;)

Back to the top
Andy you tried hertiage Vw im in the same boat as you, brought new dampers a few years back but never got round to buying new springs :(

Back to the top
I was going to buy all from VW a couple of years back but never got around to it - wish I had!
I have contacted VW UK and Germany this week.
Germany were very helpful, however the upshot is they only have the rear springs in stock. The chap I was chatting to confirmed;

Front springs are not to get anymore, it was 171 411 105 G, but rear ones are left in stock:
531 511 105 A, 81,56 € each.

The part number he quotes for the fronts doesn't tally up with VWH web site as they list that as available but not suitable for GTI

He also gave me a link to the archive page, but you can't access info, it just tells you that you can make an appointment to go view them. He did say that they can't send out 'technical plans' however.

VW UK have emailed me back for my VIN number, I'm waiting reply still but can't see that their response will be any better!

I think I'm settled now after a couple of friends both had bad experience with Spax lately - (with product and service) to go for the Bilstein B12 kit - I just hope it's not too low! Should be ok at 35-40mm drop.

I hope that helps?

Cheers
Andy

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Vagcat shows 171411105G for the front springs as well.

I would get the new rears and look out for some second hand fronts. They must be about with the amount of folk that lower their cars.

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

I was going to buy all from VW a couple of years back but never got around to it - wish I had!
I have contacted VW UK and Germany this week.
Germany were very helpful, however the upshot is they only have the rear springs in stock. The chap I was chatting to confirmed;

Front springs are not to get anymore, it was 171 411 105 G, but rear ones are left in stock:
531 511 105 A, 81,56 € each.

The part number he quotes for the fronts doesn't tally up with VWH web site as they list that as available but not suitable for GTI

He also gave me a link to the archive page, but you can't access info, it just tells you that you can make an appointment to go view them. He did say that they can't send out 'technical plans' however.

VW UK have emailed me back for my VIN number, I'm waiting reply still but can't see that their response will be any better!

I think I'm settled now after a couple of friends both had bad experience with Spax lately - (with product and service) to go for the Bilstein B12 kit - I just hope it's not too low! Should be ok at 35-40mm drop.

I hope that helps?

Cheers
Andy

Ahh thats disappointing :(  Thanks for posting up your findings though.

If I ever have the opportunity to get hold of a standard front spring I'm gonna take it down to a spring manufacturer and see if they can assess the spring rate.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.