Skip navigation

Windscreen Wiper Motor Replacement

Back to the top
only thing i can think of that could be different is swept area, polo is different again too! usually if a part is improved vw will replace odler parts, for example the mk2 wiper motort is now listed for the scirocco. (not mk1, assume due to bracket difference)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
MIght take a punt then on a MK3 Golf one. If only Vw would keep the part numbers at least semi understandable  :P

Back to the top
they are understandable if you know what to look for ;)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

they are understandable if you know what to look for ;)

Which I don't being a VW noobie  :'(  :'(  :'(

I can always hassle you Jon via PM though ;)

Back to the top
171 - mk1
191 - mk2
1h0 - mk3
1j0 - mk4
1k0 - mk5

535 - corrado
357 - passat
etc ;)

also, the 3rd digit can change to show handedness, eg:
1h0 = non specific
1h1 - lhd
1h2 - rhd
1h3 - 5door non specific
1h4 - 5 door rhd(?) not seen any parts that are 5 door specific AND rhd specific, so this is a guess :lol:

earlier than mk3 it was slightly different, so
191/171 - lhd or non specific
192/172 - rhd
193/173 - 5door

etc.

the middle numbers refer to position on the car:
1xx - engine
2xx - fuel & exhaust
3xx - gearbox
4xx - front axle
5xx - rear axle
6xx - wheels & brakes
7xx - pedals and controls
8xx - body
9xx - electrics

next 2 digits refer to certain parts of the group:
905 - alternator
919 - engine sensors
955 - front wipers
etc

the last digits are part specific code. letters generally refer to a modification of the part, and 9 times out of 10 different letter = totally different part. sometimes it refers to a supercession, so xxxB can be replacement for xxxA, but not always!

X at the end of a part number refers to an exchange part, so for example 443 615 123 F is a front G60 caliper housing,  443 615 123 FX is the exchange part number for it meaning if you give them one back you gets some moneys in return :)

Back to the top
Top info Jon as ever.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
cheers dude! the above gradually becomes clear if you use ETKA all the time like me :lol:

Back to the top

rubjonny said

cheers dude! the above gradually becomes clear if you use ETKA all the time like me :lol:

How does one obtain a copy of ETKA for home use?

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

entersoundman said

smudger1980 said

entersoundman said

If anyone is interested the mk3 part number is 1J0955119
Does this require any different mods to the MK2 one to make it fit the MK1?
No mods at all, I took it off with the wiring plug from the mk3 and put spade connectors on, bolted to the linkage  and plugged them into the plug on my mk1, leaving off the mount which is not on the mk3 motor as its on the linkage.

Cheers for the info mate. Does this one HERE on eBay seem suitable ? Don't want to get the wrong one. :)

Help appreciated.

Smudger

Yeah that would be fine. Or If you want the most straight forward go for one with the mk3 plug. Have a look at item number 330905670164 comes with wiring and linkage.so could sell linkage on. Cut the wiring after the plug (ie right hand side)and match the wires up to the same colour on the mk1 plug.  :)

'89 Clipper Cabby White Light Mod's
Audi A3 2.0 Tdi Quattro S line Light Mod's

Back to the top
Cheers soundman for the help :) :thumbs:

Back to the top

entersoundman said

Cut the wiring after the plug (ie right hand side)and match the wires up to the same colour on the mk1 plug.  :)

Does anyone know the wire colours for the MK2 or MK3 motor.  I have both motors, don't ask!  When the Mk2 was wired up it kept blowing the 15A fuse.  I just bench tested it out of the car and it runs fine, if i run a wire from the -ve battery terminal to the 53b terminal on the motor and the +ve wire to the 31 or 53 terminals on the motor it runs at the slower and quicker speeds?

I thought i'd read the wiring diagram correctly and wired it up as so:-
  1. 53a (black/grey)
  2. 53b (green/yellow)
  3. 53e (green/black)
  4. 53 (green)
  5. 31 (brown)
Sorry for the thread hijack!

Back to the top
is the swap still pretty straight forward if the mk2 or mk3 motor doesn't have its plug and a bit of wiring from it, or is it best to just get one with the plug and wiring?

'83 formel e

Back to the top
the problem is the pins on the mk2/3 motor are tiny, so tyou really cantr wire it up safely with spades. just pop to a scrappy and cut one off, lots of early 80s to late 90s vw and seat have the plugs you need, just make sure all the pins are there. MK4 for example have the right plug but only 4 pins are used!

vrupper: yep thats what I have in my diagrams, i wonder if the wiring in the car is shorted? I'll try to fig out a wiper plug later and piccy it for you

Back to the top
okay cheers, i'll probably head over scrappy anyway to find a motor with plug and wiring, but would the motor from a 94-99 polo fit as there's a fair few of those in scrappy!

'83 formel e

Back to the top
apparently they do, eartlier in this thread or another one someone said they were using a polo one

Back to the top
oh yeah just seen that, from a 2000 polo, well if there is no mk2/3 golf i'll get a polo one and see if it works

'83 formel e

Back to the top
I am using a '2000 polo motor.  It was a little fiddly to fit.  Instead of the motor being on the right hand side of the spindle like the original, the polo motor fitted to the left.  This meant the motor was spinning the mechanism the wrong way.  The wipers were going down first instead of up.  I ensured that the wiper mechanism started from the left and all was ok.  The plug needed to be cut off and replaced with the original mk1 connection.

Butleraw '83 Schwarz Black GTI

Back to the top
thanks for the info, i don't suppose you know whether it was a typ 6n or 6n2 polo do you? if i cant find a golf one i'm looking to get one out of a typ 6n polo thats all.

'83 formel e

Back to the top
The Polo was quite stripped down, but I think it was a 6n2.

Butleraw '83 Schwarz Black GTI

Back to the top
Found a wiper plug in my stack of old Mk3 Golf wiring loom:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.