Skip navigation

which brakes to put on my mk1 GTI

Back to the top

i need help on which brakes to use to upgrade my mk1 brakes.

My old 16v mk1 had Audi 80 rear drums, Audi 80 carriers, 256 calipers. 22mm mc and a 9 inch servo and the brakes were brilliant. Really a set up I'd like now but its finding them these days  :P
Some passat ones are the same if the mc is stamped 22 then the chances are its a 9 inch servo.

Back to the top
That's what I'm running apart from the Audi rear drums (mine are standard). Agreed they feel just right.
 I got my 256mm setup inc carriers from the scirocco register last summer (16v 'rocco calipers and carriers). The guy I bought them from had bought them in the US and reckoned they were still available there. Might be worth following up? The calipers are Girling 54 with 'Made in USA' stamped on them.

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top

which brakes to put on my mk1 GTI

This is a very newb question yet apparently I suck at using the search bar because I can't find a dn thing on this.  Do I HAVE to change the rear bearings everytime just to do a brake job?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Back to the top
No...

Back to the top

Re:

abfmk1 said

No…
Thanks!  Turns out the previous owner didn't even put brakes back in the drums..

Back to the top
Surprised there isn't fluid leaking out of the rear brake cylinders if there are no brake shoes in place. Cylinders pop right out (learned from experience!).

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

Re:

paceman said

Surprised there isn't fluid leaking out of the rear brake cylinders if there are no brake shoes in place. Cylinders pop right out (learned from experience!).
There aren't any lines running back to the drums.  I couldn't believe I didn't notice that when I took the tire off. I think I'm just going to leave it be. I drive the car in the neighborhood just about every day and it stops just fine even when heavy braking.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.