Skip navigation

Wheel spacer help/advice!

Back to the top

Want to know what the best wheel spacers would be

Hi,
I have some new (to me) exip alloys for my car. The problem is, the fronts have a crazy offset on the front- et44. This means that I need nice fat 30mm spacers in the front to get the tires and wheels (no stretch) flush with the arches, which IMHO looks best.

So since 30mm spacers are PRICY for a nice aluminium set (over 100 quid for 30mm ones- clicky) I was planning on popping over to aluminium warehouse, and getting a nice chunk of aluminium bar- 140mm diameter and 100mm long, for about 30 quid.

I was then going to make some hubcentric spacers on a lathe, but saw that there are two styles available.
No.1, "through bolt" style, where you simply use longer bolts

No.2, spacers that bolt to the car, and you use old bolts (or studs)

But I couldnt do reliable steel inserts on these.

So which should I make? (before you ask, I have access to a lathe and mill, and will do these very accurately)
The first would be easier, and take less time.
Cheers,
Rob

Back to the top
If I was to make myself a set I would go for the longer bolt style, purely on safety grounds.

Back to the top
Thanks. Do you feel that the bolts could strip the threads if I made the other style? 

Back to the top
That is exactly what would concern me.

Back to the top
Cheers, thats what ill do then as I would not like to trust my steel inserts!

Back to the top
My rears are bolted onto the drums with supplied bolts then the normal wheel bolts are used to secure the wheel to the spacer, if evertything is tightened then there is no issue.
At 30mm, then this is the best way I think, one of the lads has been running porsche adapters on his bug for years with the same mounting system.
Long bolts are a pain as you have to try and align everything at once.

Projekt Frustration :

White 1991 Clipper. Lowered over polished zender rims, Single 40 dellorto on lynx manifold, kent cam, full stainless 'zorst / manifold, powerflex bushed and braced. Not the fastest car, but sounds super nice!

Still going after 12 years… never said it was a quick fix! Time is not my friend.

Back to the top
Thanks. Do you feel that there are any other disadvantages to long bolts? I could always use some araldite or silicon to glue the spacer to the wheel or car, not on the mating face, just around the edge, to hold it for assembly.

Back to the top
Long bolts would be my choice for what it's worth despite the lining up when fitting issue.

Back to the top
Lining up is no problem , just screw in one or two pieces of studding to hold everything in position, then remove before the last one or two wheel bolts go in.

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

Lining up is no problem , just screw in one or two pieces of studding to hold everything in position, then remove before the last one or two wheel bolts go in.

Top tip.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Why have you got 5 smiley faces and I only have four, genuine question. :(

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

Because I am special ;)

No just kidding I think it is down to the amount of points/your post count mate. I don't know much more than that about it.

Back to the top
OH RIGHT, my post count did go down somewhat on the change over I think

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

OH RIGHT, my post count did go down somewhat on the change over I think

Outrageous, I don't recall any threads about people loosing theirs.?? I don't think I did either.

How many do you think you lost?

Back to the top
Perhaps I didn't, not 100% sure, dosnt really matter anyway

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

Because he spends all day on here posting  :thumbs:

It doesn't really matter either way with the spacers mate, but drilling 8 holes in each a) takes more time and effort b) takes a minor amount (but still some) integrity out of the metal used. I'm now running adapters on mine 25mm same as the 2nd pair with 5 bolt holes, so 4 will be fine. 

Back to the top
Cheers, think I'll go with the through hole. 

Aluminium is expensive! And heavy :( aluminium warehouse want £18 plus vat plus £13 shipping for a piece of a suitable size for two spacers- that's probably almost £40 for material! 

Looking into other options- could I use sand casted aluminium and machine it, or maybe steel, and paint it? 
I don't want to be unsafe, just don't like spending out unnecessarily. 

Oh and I only have three smileys :( :( :( 

Back to the top
Out of the three I would suggest using steel. Then creating the bolt to hub style spacer, these are much safer IMO. There's just something a bit dodgy about 8 foot long wheel bolts that makes me feel this way lol! I have steel bolt on type spacers in 20 and 25mm guise, they're only £60 a pair from Delta Mics?

Back to the top
Thanks, may just do this. How much approximately would you say they weigh? 

Back to the top

Brad. said

Because he spends all day on here posting  :thumbs:

Cheeky git ;)

I am quite lucky in that my current role at work aloows me a bit of down time throughout the day to come on here :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.