Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Re: Lhasa green gti g60 restoration

BradleyB said

Just read this build
Take my hat off to you mate
A lot of hours u must be proud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks mate, i do look back at when I first got it and the state it was in and think i've done alright it's been a challenge for sure and tested my patience to the max!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Lhasa green gti g60 restoration

Finally made some more progress today. I've had to work full time since the lockdown began so i have only had weekends to work on it and even that doesn't always happen. Anyway I have managed to get both doors fully sorted including seals, door cards and all speaker wiring routed through the car including rears. I went for a set of alpine speakers (see pics) in the end as they fit without any cutting or modification. My wheels are currently at the refurbers and are due back to me this week which is exciting as it can finally be a rolling driving car! This also means i can get it over to my mates and he is going to finish the headlining for me and then its the homestraight to finish it, it so close now!  I also had a new I.D plate made by Hugh Coffey at vwgolf1.com as my old plate was beyond restoring, its all in the details

Back to the top

Another milestone achieved over the weekend i finally got it down on its wheels! I could technically drive it now although lack of seats and windscreen might be an issue

Back to the top

Got the rear bumper fitted today, i decided to refurb both bumpers by stripping them down and having the irons blasted and powder coated. The new ones are a rubbish fit so i've been told hence my decision. I also managed to fully fit my passenger door card as the speaker pod/door pocket was broken and its taken me ages to find another, lots of people messaged me saying they have one and then just don't ever reply, very frustrating! Anyway managed to get one from Hugh Coffey at vwgolf1.com as he very kindly thought of me when he got some in and messaged me straight away, what a legend!
I will hopefully get it over to my work this week trailer depending as my boss has offered to help me do the last bits of trim as its not really my thing, then its in with the glass dash and seats and she's done!

Back to the top

Got her over at work atm to finish some of the interior trim, got my new number plates fitted and tailgate glass today. More small steps to completion!

Back to the top
Are the number plates legal?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Re:

Early-1800 said

Think its a year or two out maybe. I know a few people who run them with no issues, i will carry a set of standard plates in the boot just incase.

Back to the top

Olliew94 said

Early-1800 said

Think its a year or two out maybe. I know a few people who run them with no issues, i will carry a set of standard plates in the boot just incase.

Each to their own but appears a bit bizarre to have what looks like a factory spec restoration and stick the wrong plates on it. Also with the police best to treat them like a dog and don't antagonise them. Legal plates in the boot just confirms to them that you know the law and are taking the p155.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Re:

Early-1800 said

Olliew94 said

Early-1800 said

Each to their own but appears a bit bizarre to have what looks like a factory spec restoration and stick the wrong plates on it. Also with the police best to treat them like a dog and don't antagonise them. Legal plates in the boot just confirms to them that you know the law and are taking the p155.
Ok, Thanks for your comment.

Back to the top

Little bit of info for all g60 owners, most pictures i see of g60 engine bays people have the belt tensioner the way i had it (see previous pics). I have since found out after posting my car on a g60 group on facebook that the tensioner was the incorrect way up. I have now rectified this as you can see in the pic below and it has made quite a big difference!

Back to the top

Few more jobs done today. Got the front washer bottle sorted as i was deciding what to do with it as the original no longer fitted due to the charger intake so i opted with a bag type fluid holder and hid it down in the cavity next to the chassis leg as i didn't really want it in the bay. Its a little bit of a faff to fill it but a small funnel with a flexible spout worked a treat. I also got the rear badges fitted with a subtle nod to the g60 motor under the bonnet.

Back to the top

Getting really close now! Headlining done, all glass in, dashboard 80 percent done. Just seats and seat belts to go now really.

Back to the top
loving the original look on outside and G60 power train.

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top

Re:

madone_si said

loving the original look on outside and G60 power train.
Thanks mate

Back to the top

Got the seats cleaned today after 6 years being sat in various lockups and sheds, they were absolutely rank! Really pleased with how they came up just with a lot of elbow grease and some autoglym upholstery shampoo. They definitely aren't perfect, drivers seat has as couple of very small fag burn type holes but nothing major and certainly not enough to bother me to much.

Back to the top

Rear bench in.

Back to the top

Front seats

Back to the top

Treated myself to a blaupunkt SQR 46 with built in dab etc. Got it at trade price through work but still expensive, Very cool bit of kit though, looks really at home in the dash and period correct.

Back to the top
That's a good looking car  :thumbs:

Stereo is the icing on the cake! Looks ace

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.