Skip navigation

How do you tell the differnece from a 90 PS engine to a 112 PS engine ?

Back to the top
Oh not good - Have you tried Euro car parts?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Oh not good - Have you tried Euro car parts?

I did indeed… simliar kind of problem.

For someone with limited knowledge the multitude of variants for one part is over whelming : (

1990 - Cabriolet GTI 1.8 (DX)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

Thank you…

I wish this was easier. For example, today I went and picked up a rotor arm for my 1991 cabriolet (GTI) They gave me a BERU EVL 085 … but … looking at the website, I should have got a EVL 096 as my engine code is: DX 143 983

More confusion, the part I have today looks just like the one on my car, does that mean my part was wrong from the start??  :P

Back to the top
Forgot to add…

I got a dizzy cap with part number BERU VK360 which according to that site is the correct one but then i should have a bosh rotor arm :'(

Back to the top
the 2 rotor arms 085 and 096 are compatible, its just 096 has a rev limiter built in. some mk1 will have the limiter in the pump relay instead.  if you have no limiter in either this means you'll just be careful not to over-rev the engine is all, theres no power up at the limiter anyway so there is no reason to rev that hard.

with the cap it'll either fit or it wont I think?

Back to the top

rubjonny said

the 2 rotor arms 085 and 096 are compatible, its just 096 has a rev limiter built in. some mk1 will have the limiter in the pump relay instead.  if you have no limiter in either this means you'll just be careful not to over-rev the engine is all, theres no power up at the limiter anyway so there is no reason to rev that hard.

with the cap it'll either fit or it wont I think?

Thank you : )

To replace these parts do you simply unplug the leads and plug them back in the same place on the new cap? Is the rotor arm easy to replace?

I will give it a go and see if the part is wrong, guessing it just won't fire or start if I've got it wrong??

Back to the top
yup you got it!

Back to the top

rubjonny said

yup you got it!

Cheers for the help, may nip out now and sort it : )

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

rubjonny said

yup you got it!

Cheers for the help, may nip out now and sort it : )

Ok,

Just been out and replaced both parts (That was easy enough)… Think my problem though is still there.

This car is amazing, once it's running! However, it does not like to start very well.

Key in > Engine turns > and turns > and turns > and turns…. You get the picture  :|  I'm finding myself now having to pump the accelarator once or twice to get it started. I was going to replace leads and plugs next to see if that helps??

Back to the top
is this only on  a cold start, or warm start, or both?

Back to the top

rubjonny said

is this only on  a cold start, or warm start, or both?

Hey,

Seems to be just on the cold start… I bought a "Coolant Temperature Sensor" and replaced earlier on this evening.

Back to the top
Try unplugging the electrical connection to the 5th injector and then try to start the car from cold, if it starts better you have leaking injectors, they leak petrol when the engine is off and when you start the the car the 5th injector adds more fuel and the car is flooded hence its hard to start. Try this for a few days to see what happens.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Try unplugging the electrical connection to the 5th injector and then try to start the car from cold, if it starts better you have leaking injectors, they leak petrol when the engine is off and when you start the the car the 5th injector adds more fuel and the car is flooded hence its hard to start. Try this for a few days to see what happens.

Good to hear from you again mate : ) Coming to my aid again !

Which one is the 5th injector  :(  ?

Back to the top
If you stand at the front of the engine it's on the left hand side near the suspension strut, its got a braded fuel line and a blue electrical connection pluged into it, press the metal clip in to remove the electrical connection and tie it out of the way of the manifold. The 5th injector only runs for 10 secs or so on start up so it won't affect driving if its unplugged.

looks like this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-MK2-SCIROCCO-AUDI-8V-16V-K-JET-5TH-COLD-START-INJECTOR-/390485892566?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5aeac5ddd6

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

If you stand at the front of the engine it's on the left hand side near the suspension strut, its got a braded fuel line and a blue electrical connection pluged into it, press the metal clip in to remove the electrical connection and tie it out of the way of the manifold. The 5th injector only runs for 10 secs or so on start up so it won't affect driving if its unplugged.

looks like this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-MK2-SCIROCCO-AUDI-8V-16V-K-JET-5TH-COLD-START-INJECTOR-/390485892566?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5aeac5ddd6

Cheers Mark,
Haven't got round to looking as yet as I've had some things to tend to I'm afraid. Hope to have a look on Monday as I'm going away for the weekend.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.