Skip navigation

How to spruce up your dash lights for 2 quid.

Back to the top
did mine today…what a difference :o…thing is though,i`m gonna take em out again cos I`ve now hit on the idea of removing the green strip and putting an amber piece in it`s place so that it matches the vdos`…only thought of it after `id refitted it all though so it`s a job for another day now.

Back to the top
Had ago tonight but the soldering is really hard, small joins and tight spaces. Any tips?

Back to the top
Don't stick the strip in until it's soldered,  and take the little connectors out of the bulb holders- they have a tab on them to push in with a screwdriver. Makes them a gazillion times easier to solder, and you don't get done in by the fumes of melted plastic… 

Cabfan- you know the clear plastic folder divider things? They supposedly work well for a colour change. 

I need to sort out the colour of all the bulbs in my dash. Not a massive priority but having a white led on the radio, Green on the instruments and incandescent yellow on the vdo's is a bit annoying, plus the vdo's are quite dim too! Maybe leds here too. 

Oh and another lighting tip-
Get an led festoon bulb for the interior lighting. I got a 9 smd one, it's really bright, a lot better than the standard one. Think it was about £5. Slight blue tinge, but that's my only complaint.

Back to the top
ta for the tip on the folder `thingy`…yeh the vdos` are a bit dim but I`ve got some leds for them but they are  still gonna be amber due to them having shrouds in there..as for the radio/cd player I can change all the colours ie can have loads of colour combos…so it`s set on green display but amber keys so all goes quite well really but would rather have all amber too be honest..the only thing which may be awkward is the switch illuminations,oh and do you have any links for anything that I could use to change the mfa too?

Back to the top
4130 Products - Changing the color of the gauge cluster lights.

It's for a mk2, but principle is the same. 

If you meant the mfa light,  I'd just put an led one in there. 

Back to the top
On your pic before the one with the bulbs working, have you split open the part where you have fitted the strip? Minedoesnt look like that?

Back to the top
Yeah. It should do, theres two clips, one on either side. Post some pics.

Back to the top
well heres` a pic of mine done…don`t think about doing it…..just do it. you`ll then wonder how you could see the clocks before :o

Back to the top
Cant put it off any longer just bought some strips its too good an idea not to.

Back to the top
I've bought the LED strip too.  I am hoping to do the fitting in the next week or so.  Has anyone replaced any of the other lights on the dash with LEDs?  I am thinking of doing something around the heater levers.  Any ideas?

Butleraw '83 Schwarz Black GTI

Back to the top
I was thinking the same! I have bought a strip to do that and the ash tray. I'll post some pics when (if)  I do it. 

Back to the top

r_chez_08 said

I was thinking the same! I have bought a strip to do that and the ash tray. I'll post some pics when (if)  I do it. 

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Back to the top
i just did this on my clocks! the dimmer switch had failed so i shorted the link with a bit of wire and then added the LED's. however i did use different LEDs as i didn't see this link existed!! the LED's i used had the wires already soldered to them and then all i did was trap the wires under the bulb for the clock, so if i wanted to change it all back it is easily reversible :)

Back to the top
That's brilliant  :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top

r_chez_08 said

Hi,
I noticed that on my car, the dash lights hardly did anything. I was considering removing the green filter and lining the light box with tin foil,  but then I decided on LED's.  

I thought that I would resurrect this post - I would like to do the same as my dash lights are so faint. But does this require removing the whole dash? I looked at the instructions, but I am scared that I would screw it up and wouldn't be able to put everything back together. Plus, I don't have tons of space (not to mention, that I am very new to all of this and the repairs that I have done myself always seem to take 3x longer than they should).

Don't even get me started about trying to replace my brake light sensor. I can't figure out a way to even fully see it, let alone access it and take it out (hint, hint, help lol).

'91 VW Clipper Cabby, 5 speed, 1.8 (Weber with manual choke). I have no idea what I'm doing, so please show mercy.

2857C4E6-41B8-46FE-84E5-8275A978BAFA.jpegw300 790E3798-CF8E-4797-8FF6-DDA39B680915.jpeg

Back to the top
I done mine about 5 yrs ago but didn't  put strip in I just added normal 12v leds like on link which thought was best solutionat time
Screenshot_20201230-192306_eBay.jpg

Back to the top
I went with the lit dials sold by moman.pl
I have 16V Mk2 160mph clocks in my Mk1, he does them for Mk1 clocks as well.
You need to remove the clocks to fit, not the complete dash though.

600819AD-92B3-46B2-8B6F-BF088495437A.jpeg A433B568-FDEA-471E-9267-2E62743AE1B8.jpeg 6B9FDA72-6D82-43C3-88A8-DE91680148E0.jpeg

Click Search to see what he does.
 https://moman.pl/en/search?controller=search&s=Golf+mk1

I also bought fluorescent paint for the needles and UV Leds to make them glow at night!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I am after! I will take a look 

'91 VW Clipper Cabby, 5 speed, 1.8 (Weber with manual choke). I have no idea what I'm doing, so please show mercy.

2857C4E6-41B8-46FE-84E5-8275A978BAFA.jpegw300 790E3798-CF8E-4797-8FF6-DDA39B680915.jpeg

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

Sweet. I have the same same clocks as you. What colour are your switches, also blue?

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
Yes, all blue, I opened them up and replaced the bulbs with blue leds - bloody fiddly!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.