Skip navigation

mod/upgrade regrets on ya mk1

Back to the top

what have you messed up

Mine would be a mod I didn't make. The sunroof.  :P

Back to the top
Not made the mods myself but my Clipper came with original invoice that had £500 for dealer fit central looking and £500 for electric windows (might have been £500 for both but still mega dollars for 1987….) The central lockings never worked in the 6 years i've had it, the solenoid in the boot is disconnected. The lecky windows still work, or just about do after I lubricated the mechanisms, but on drivers side appear to wind up too far and the glass doesn't quite sit right on the seal…. why do people have to do these things to stuff that already worked fine  :P

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
non standard colour, being re-done original...

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top

benandemu said

In no particular order…

G60 nothelle tuned and 203bhp - awful, truly awful. Ruined a good car.

16v conversion - KR lump that needed constant persuasion from the gear box.

16v conversion on twin 45's - sounded fantastic and looked great on the gear change over-run if you were behind it when it shot flames out of the back! But, really not that great to live with.

rear discs - made me lock up and spin rather than stop me! Yes, I know, and I fixed the bias settings.

Corrado interior - what was I thinking?

respraying in non factory colour - pointless

wide arches - looked unbalanced

rolled arches - wanted to put the GTI arches back on, but no lip left to attach!

BBS wheels built as 9's - looked ridiculous

rollcage in a road car - not sure why I thought I'd need one

autocavan stainless exhaust - made the car sound like a biplane from the beginning of the last century

16v clocks - I was hopeful to achieve the 160mph indicated at the end of them, but in reality they would never see much past 120mph. At that point you're pretty much aware of your speed, especially in a mk1.

Thats made me think twice about the mods i want to do, had planned on rear disks, big exhaust, possible non standard colour …..

Back to the top
i have loads of chrome bits n bobs and wary of using them now expecially the mirrors as i need to drill the doors. just been reading a thread about the chrome mirrors and peeps not too keen on them.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.