Skip navigation

Setting up timing, - pics

Back to the top

after new head gasket

Still not got this running 100%.

Think I have a little air leak somewhere.  Changed the idle screw for one I found on an old part and it has made a difference - I can adjust the idle speed now!

Went down to the dealeds for a new idle screw but they don't do them now.

Does anyone know if an 'O' ring from the plumbers merchants will replace the rubber bit?

Back to the top
i bought a big box of random orings and just used the closest size, plumbers merchany one should be fine too its not got to cope with oil or petrol or anything

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Hi guys, hopefully someone can help - I've got an '81 1.5 gls that has just gone back on the road after 11 years.

Its running ok, but a little lumpy and the idle hunts a little.

I went to set the timing with a gun as above posts, and noticed that my flywheel has obviously been replaced at some point as it has an "O" stamped. No problem there.

The problem is that the "O" moves around whilst using the timing gun?!!  It stays in one place (the right of the hole) for a couple of seconds, then disappears completely, then appears on the left of the hole for half a second, then returns to its original location. And so on and so on.

Can anyone shed any light on whats going on?! Its gone right over my head  :lol:

Many Thanks :)

Back to the top
is the idle completely steady while you're trying to set it? with the 1.5 the setup procedure may differ from the ones mentioned in this thread so its best to get yourself a brown haynes to double check.

it may be the dizzy is a bit ropey allowing the ignition advance timing to move about randomly, or as i say the idle coudl be unsteady which never helps

check all over the engine carefully for air leaks, vacuum pipes and the flange under the carb are prime suspects

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.