Skip navigation

Porsche 944 Turbo

Back to the top
love porsches, loving the red 944

Back to the top
Sold it yesterday, said goodbye to it here, parked on the new owners drive

Gutted to see it go,  :(

I'm sure I'll have another before long though, such a great car to own and drive  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
How come you sold her mate?  :(  :(

Back to the top
Needed to free up some cash  :(

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Such a shame Andy, she's a lovely motor :(  I'm sure you'll get another when the time permits though :)

Back to the top
I will indeed. May help me get focus back on the MK1 though, although time's been the issue the last few months, not lack of interest.

This weekend is the first I've had pretty much free since May!! Have an overgrown garden to tackle though so MK1 wont get a look-in just yet

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I have an overgrown garden too mate :lol:  I wonder how many car enthusiasts gardens are overgrown O_o

Back to the top
Most of them!  :lol:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
So it finally happened? You'll miss it I bet. At least have something else awesome to thou :cool:

Back to the top
Yeah and see it around town as only lives a few miles from me now!  O_o  Will have another some day I'm sure.

Loving the MK2 though ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Hi
Would also love to own a s2 or turbo, what's the fuel consumption when the scenery starts to blur also think the S2 would be cheaper to maintain & possibly work on but correct me if im wrong.
ta
baz

Back to the top
Hi Baz

Fuel consumption is pretty similar between the S2 and turbo most of the time, S2 was 25-30 and turbo 20-25 - lower figures based on when giving it some stick although I could push nearer 30 mpg in the turbo on a long run.

Running costs will be pretty much identical on both to be fair. The main difference will be if you get a turbo and get teh tuning bug - then you need deep pockets!  :lol:

If you're buying one for a weekend/fun car then it's turbo all the way. The S2 is an epically good car - I've never been in anything to match it for it's all round ability but it's so silky smooth it's a little dull - very quick - but no real rush.  That's why I sold mine after about 3 months!! It would make a great daily driver though.

The turbo however was smiles all the way! The boost gives you major grin factor.

This all said, all 944's are great cars, best chassis of any car I've owned and even the 16v version of a mate of mine keeps up with my old turbo - they all deliver, just in different ways.

I will be buying another before long!

Shout if you need any advice on them, PCGB and TIPEC forums are worth stopping by too  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I've also been lucky enough to own the two and like hairyarse said the mpg on both is very similar but the turbo just gives you the extra fun factor so you tend to use your right foot a little more just for the experience of feeling the torque as the turbo keeps pushing you further back in your seat. The S2 was very smooth and I did enjoy the effortless way it performed. I always thought mine was similar to drive to a mk1 except for it being rear wheel drive. Would have another S2 or Turbo tomorrow but need to wait until my kids are a little older as I have three mk1's that don't have seats or three point seatbelts in the back so only sensible toys for me for now.

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Hi Baz

Fuel consumption is pretty similar between the S2 and turbo most of the time, S2 was 25-30 and turbo 20-25 - lower figures based on when giving it some stick although I could push nearer 30 mpg in the turbo on a long run.

Running costs will be pretty much identical on both to be fair. The main difference will be if you get a turbo and get teh tuning bug - then you need deep pockets!  :lol:

If you're buying one for a weekend/fun car then it's turbo all the way. The S2 is an epically good car - I've never been in anything to match it for it's all round ability but it's so silky smooth it's a little dull - very quick - but no real rush.  That's why I sold mine after about 3 months!! It would make a great daily driver though.

The turbo however was smiles all the way! The boost gives you major grin factor.

This all said, all 944's are great cars, best chassis of any car I've owned and even the 16v version of a mate of mine keeps up with my old turbo - they all deliver, just in different ways.

I will be buying another before long!

Shout if you need any advice on them, PCGB and TIPEC forums are worth stopping by too  :thumbs:

many thanks for the detailed reply
No tuning for me, standard & reliable is for me the turbo does sound like a proper weapon & that's what i want but how slow is it before 4000 revs i like my low down torque as well so don't have to scream it to make good fun progress

Back to the top
I had one of the early 220bhp turbo's, I think they're supposed to have a bit less lag than the later 250bhp model. From about 3000 rpm it's ok, any less and it's not so rapid, I suppose it's a bit like a diesel, it will bog down if you pull away in the wrong gear or too few revs.

You quickly get used to it and it's never an issue really.

Alonzo mentions akin to MK1 driving experience - I also owned an early 'square dash' model. It was 1983 and that shares some components with MK1 Golfs such as suspension wishbones and ball joints and that did remind me a lot of my GTI. That had a really nice power delivery with the N/A 2.5. They really are all great cars, just all a little different and in my opinion and absolute bargain to buy if you find a good one, sadly some part prices are high - but not all and Porsche can sometimes be the best pricing

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.