Skip navigation

LHD Helios Blue Mk1 Tintop Full Restoration With 20vt AGU

Back to the top

chaz11bb said

Not much really. Need to put the exhaust manifold and turbo on and then get the engine in!! 
Oh and put some of my heat protection on the bulkhead 

Not sure what turbo you got but I am having to wrap my steering gaitor to protect it.

Back to the top
you defo want to wrap it if using a k03/k03s turbo as the downpipe so close to gaitor .  what i told smudge use a  plumbers heat mat a fiva of ebay should be ok

Back to the top
Mine is LHD so I may be ok? 

Back to the top

chaz11bb said

should be well out the way

Back to the top
lol dant think off that you be ok lol. just cover it anyway for sake of a fiva

Back to the top

chaz11bb said

:ocf_emoticons__icon_redface:  :ocf_emoticons__icon_redface:  :ocf_emoticons__icon_redface:  :ocf_emoticons__icon_redface:

Back to the top
Yeah probably worth doing it.
Have you got an ebay link for the stuff?
Cheers

Back to the top

Back to the top
Great build thread chaz11bb. Can't help thinking I'd love that old engine if its only done 4k. What did you do/done with it?

Wife, kids, car……not necessarily in that order.

Back to the top

Magic-GTI said

Great build thread chaz11bb. Can't help thinking I'd love that old engine if its only done 4k. What did you do/done with it?

Thanks
I still have the engine if you are interested?
PM me
Charlie

Back to the top

Back to the top
Soooo. I had a snapped exhaust stud which i managed to weld a nut onto and get out. when re-fitting the manifold another snapped at the correct torque!!! arghhhh
Got a big weekend of it and hopefully the engine should be in within the next few days!

Back to the top
Had a few of those mate when fitting turbo and manifold on mine.  :P  :P  :P

Back to the top
Another great day!!! ……. not!
While fitting the engine I managed to bash the sump and crack it.
So the engine is in!!! but i need to replace the sump which looks really difficult with the gearbox on as there are 2 bolts that are really hard to get to!! I reckon a uj will work but that can be tomorrow. Im fed up!!

Back to the top
Ah pants news mate. At least the engine is in. How much roughly will it cost to sort out??

Back to the top
Yeah. 
Sumps are £40 ish but not oem. 
The gaskets look very expensive. Again something like £40
I'll do some shopping. Lots I can do to the car before it can be started! 

Back to the top
Not a total disaster then. I've had a few issues with mine so far and will no doubt have a few more but that's part of the whole process I think.

Go and have a few beers and forget about it.  :)

Back to the top

chaz11bb said

Yeah. 
Sumps are £40 ish but not oem. 
The gaskets look very expensive. Again something like £40
I'll do some shopping. Lots I can do to the car before it can be started! 

When i did mine, I used the VW paste for the sump, was given to me for free but its not that much, alternatives are out there.

Back to the top
get these hex ball keys number 7 for the 2 bolts by gearbox. as if you round them of you doomed( can find cheaper 1s but i suggest a good brand as i snapped 1 from local hardware shop)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Peaces-Draper-Hex-Key-Set-Metric-Ball-End-Conventional-Ends-29595-/400408286886?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item5d3a3196a6

as for sealer gsf 10 quid

put sealer on like this dont go mad as bits will fall of and block oil pick up pipe

or get a shallow sump :thumbs:

Last edit: by peterg60

Back to the top
Cheers mate. I'll get it ordered up tomorrow 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.