Skip navigation

Garfield, my Mk1 Project

Back to the top

Cheap Mk1 i just couldn't say no to.

Top repair work there! Doesn't need to look pretty for the mot, can do that later!

Must have felt good getting the mot!
Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Top repair work there! Doesn't need to look pretty for the mot, can do that later!

Must have felt good getting the mot!
Matt

Felt amazing for about 5 mins until the first break down. Thought I had fixed it but it did it again today, think I'm going to have to flush the fuel tank out :/ so I'm back on the motorbike today :(

Back to the top
Congrats on the pass  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
More updates

I've been having oil light problems mixed with a little bit of mayonnaise in the rocker cover. Basically the oil light does various different dim glows up to bright flashing light and everythig in between which mixed with the mayonnaise i thought might be head gasket problems but the head gasket was done in 2009 when the GTi head was put on so i have ruled that on as i think the mayonnaise might be because of short journeys after the engine has stood for so long. The oil in the sump is all fine…

I replaced both oil pressure switches to be on the safe side anyway and thought i would do an engine oil flush.

This is where the fun stuff started, i decided while i was dropping the oil i would fit a different sump because mine hits the floor and i want more lows. So i bought a new on from gsf and decided to make a shallow sumo with oil baffles to stop any oil surge.

New sump with tape marking the cut out

Cut

Welded

2.5mm thick skid pan welded on

Baffles welded in

Painted and fitted

Can anyone suggest what my oil light problem could be?

I have norrowed it down to electrical fault somewhere as the oil flush doesnt seem to of helped, maybe instrument binnacle fault? Help me!

Back to the top
Exhaust scrape protection

Went for some more lows this afternoon although i could only go about 10mm until my driveshaft clearance looked a bit like this

And then removed front bumper

just got to work out where i want the numberplate now

Back to the top
Mounted the numberplate and have resprayed the checkered bonnet in matt black to match the rest of the car. Also mounted the indicators behind the grill as they were obviously in the front bumper before. You can still see the checkered pattern on the bonnet but i quite like it now it is all black at least. The red front panel makes it different as well, which i like.

It has never had a headlining in it since i've had it so B&Q sorted that one out, budget and looks rad (i think so anyway)

Back to the top
Love the headlining man, just brilliant!! :lol:

Back to the top
:lol: it's novel I'll give you that mate. Never seen one of those before. :)

Back to the top
Thought i would post a bit about what i've been up to

New air filter, much better sound and noticeable performance gain

The time came to fit a new clutch, my old one was slipping more and more and the biting point was up around my ears.

Old and new

Now this is where I need your help! After fitting the new clutch pressure plate and friction disc the biting point was much better but after a couple of days the biting point got higher and higher.

I recently took the car down to cornwall and on the way I put my foot hard down in 5th to power up a hill on the dual carriageway at maybe 70ish and the clutch just slipped so I had to back off the power.

Does anyone know what my problem may be? I didnt replace the release bearing when I did the clutch. Could that be my problem. It seemed fine for a couple of days but it now seems to have gone back to how it was.

The biting point is very high, why would this be with a brand new clutch?

Any help much appreciated!

Here's a picture with my old beetle in the background looking a lot higher than when I owned it!

And one from our trip to cornwall

Back to the top
 :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Thought I would update this, as its that time of year again.. MOT…

Just going to let pictures do the talking

Bent the driveshaft

Fixed

Drivers sill

Rear panel and chassis leg repair

Back to the top
Rust rust rust

Back to the top

Seat runner back in

Work on the fuel tank when it goes dark

Hole to be sealed…

Filler neck surprisingly solid, painted it tonight

That's where i am at tonight, hopefully got a couple of dry days coming up so will make some good progress. What i would give for a workshop!

Back to the top
Good quality work there bud ;) Some of it is bringing back memories - not all good!  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Rad little project mate, love the headlining :) local boy as well, I'm also from Devon :)

Back to the top
Great work on this :thumbs:, nice to see another being saved!

Back to the top
Todays work…

Made a start on the rear beam

Back to the top
Great looking repairs going on here  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Love this, keep up the great work

Back to the top
That hole in the fuel tank's a bit alarming, wonder how much fuel you've lost over the years through that!

1983 White cabriolet GTi
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.