Skip navigation

Garfield, my Mk1 Project

Back to the top

Cheap Mk1 i just couldn't say no to.

I though I would create a 'build thread' here to keep everything in one place and so you guys can help me out and give me advise. A little about me, in 19, first golf, I have had 2 beetles and now it's time to dive into the water cooled world of problems ;)Here are a few pictures of my bargain shed

I should mention, it has no MOT and has been off the road for 3 years so the good old tin worm has been doing its thing.

Off side sill

Last edit: by andy6693

Back to the top
Repairs to the sill, I am trying to do all this on a budget so am making all my own repair panels etc.

Started making good, I ended up removing more metal than I had planned but isn't that always the way

Inside finished

Back to the top
Started on the outer sill

Welded

Ground and painted, not the prettiest repair but it is all solid and when its on the floor you will hardly notice it, cost me nothing though so can't grumble

That is where I am at so far, I started on overhauling the brakes today but I don;t get a lot of time and its FREEZING at the moment. Motivate me!

Back to the top
I like it mate, keep the updates coming ;)

Back to the top
Started work on the rear brakes and removing all the brake lines to be replaced, New cylinders, shoes and rebuild kits

And the new brake lines to go on after painting the floorpan

That's all I managed today what with the snow and rain and cold and… any other excuses

Back to the top
Good work mate :thumbs:

Back to the top
Im the old owner! Good work andy.
Glad to see its gone into the right hands!
Check my build thread
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=your-mk1-golfs_2%2Flhd-helios-blue-mk1
Dont think Im going to make that meet on the 27th!
How much were you brake lines and where did you get them from?
Charlie

Back to the top

chaz11bb said

Im the old owner! Good work andy.
Glad to see its gone into the right hands!
Check my build thread
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=your-mk1-golfs_2%2Flhd-helios-blue-mk1
Dont think Im going to make that meet on the 27th!
How much were you brake lines and where did you get them from?
Charlie

Hi Charlie, I'll have a read of your thread. Yeh I'm not going to make it either, motivation isn't high in this cold weather, especially having to do it all on the drive.

Brake lines I got from VW Heritage for £58 the set
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Brake-pipe-set-Mk1-Golf-8-79-7-83-C-Nickel-6pcs-171698500_act_shop.product_pID_55956170_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=1

Although I'm sure I saw some on ebay that were in the £40s for pretty much the same kit.

Andy

Back to the top
Cheers mate. good luck and hope to see the car around soon!

Back to the top
Spent all day on it today in the rain although I don't have a lot to show for it.

Spent the morning removing all the old solid fuel lines that were rather crusty and removed the old brake lines apart from the fronts. I'll attach the front brakes at a later date and make sure they're all good and replace the solid and flexi lines.

This afternoon i spent scraping off any flaking paint or underseal and i'm pleased to say the floorpan won't be needing any more welding for MOT. Painted any bare metal ready for new underseal tomorrow. I'm not going crazy with it under there as it's going to be my daily.

Here's just a quick shot under the gazebo that kept flying away

More tomorrow.

I ended up ordering the little rubber grommets that secure the lines to the pan from the US as i couldn't find them here anywhere. Only cost me about £20 for 10 of them so not too bad, just means waiting for them to arrive.

Back to the top
hey welcome along, good progress made so far :)

whats your plans for the car you doing a complete restoration or you gonna keep the rat look that's going on ??

good luck with the resto mate!

where abouts in south west are you??
Im gonna add you to the south west bit of the forum

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
At the moment I'm keeping the rat look, not sure about the bonnet though. might paint that all black. Full resto may come later but at the moment I am just looking to be on the road and have some fun for little money.

I'm from Paignton, Devon.

Cheers

Andy

Back to the top
So, been busy this weekend and I'm happy with progress

Started Saturday by replacing this boot as it had cracked, bit of a job but all sorted

Complete new fuel lines underneath as the old ones were crusty. Not as straight as they could be but this is no show winner. I will spend some more time straightening them and making sure they are tight against the pan so i don't risk ripping them off.

I then replaced the off side front brake line, solid and flexi as it runs along the bulkhead and it would be easier to do it now before fitting the manifolds.

Then came the task of mounting the new down pipes to the manifold, its the c clip version and I have read you need a special tool (which i didnt have) but 2 people and half an hour later we got there.

Mounted the GTi mid section of the exhaust and propped the old back box in place (its shot so will be replaced)

Then came the moment, time to start it after mounting the inlet and carb, turned it over without the plugs to get the fuel through and then put the plugs back in a went for it. Made a short video because I can. I'm quite pleased with how it runs although there is a slight problem with how it turns over. Either the styarter is a bit iffy, or the battery isn't man enough. Maybe someone can suggest what battery should be fitted?

MOT soon hopefully, I have the minor thing to sort which is the brake lines :)

Back to the top
Good job mate. I se what you mean about the brake lines. bent as a 9 bob note  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
Hi Andy. You will want to check that the timing is correct. This may be the cause of it turning over strangely. 
I have a timing gun if you need

Back to the top
Sorted my starting issues, stuck a battery i know to be good in and it turns over and fires perfect.

chaz11bb said

Hi Andy. You will want to check that the timing is correct. This may be the cause of it turning over strangely. 
I have a timing gun if you need

I may take you up on this offer as i'm sure the timing will need adjustment anyway.

Back to the top
Right, I've been working hard on the golf recently so it's about time I update.

I have replaced all the solid and flexi brake lines and bled the back brakes. When it came to doing the front I could not for the life of me find the bleed nipples, so I checked the manual. Where they should have been there was nothing, the nipples had been sheered off almost flush with the calliper. I'm not really sure how they will be coming out, way beyond my skills so I've taken both callipers down to a local garage for them to have a go at. If they fail to sort it then I will be looking for some more GTi callipers.

Then I found this on the rear chassis leg when I went to mount the exhaust back box.

So I did this

Then this

To this

This is the chassis leg fixed, I cut all the rot out and made up a repair panel which I havn't got any pictures of but here it is welded, painted, seem sealed and the exhaust hanger welded on

And mounted the GTi back box

Gave the engine a full service while I waited for the paint to dry (It could do with a clean really)

QUESTION: What should be connected to this… There is already one vacuum pipe coming off it and going to the pipe connected between the manifold and brake servo… I think??

Also found this in the boot which I think must of come off it but not sure where the other end connects to?

That's where I'm at so far. Just got the minor issue of brakes to sort and then I think I'm there! :)

Back to the top
I've been on it all day today, although don;t have a lot to show for it.

My brake line rubber mount things came from the US so fitted them.

Fitted the exhaust clamp on the back box join.

Sorted why the speedo wasn't working (just a case of plugging the cable back in)

Topped up my washer jet bottle and re-aligned the jets (check out the positioning of the washer bottle) interesting

Refitted door cards, gave it a wash, changed wiper blades and general things that the MOT man might like.

I then set upon the task of why the horn wasn't working, turns out its because there isn't one fitted. Found the original horn wiring located just behind the battery… Going to fit a klaxon instead because I love 'em!

Friday will see some brakes… Promise!

Back to the top
Your project looks like it is coming on well mate! Keep up the good work :)

Back to the top

andy6693 said

Spent all day on it today in the rain although I don't have a lot to show for it.

Spent the morning removing all the old solid fuel lines that were rather crusty and removed the old brake lines apart from the fronts. I'll attach the front brakes at a later date and make sure they're all good and replace the solid and flexi lines.

This afternoon i spent scraping off any flaking paint or underseal and i'm pleased to say the floorpan won't be needing any more welding for MOT. Painted any bare metal ready for new underseal tomorrow. I'm not going crazy with it under there as it's going to be my daily.

Here's just a quick shot under the gazebo that kept flying away

More tomorrow.

I ended up ordering the little rubber grommets that secure the lines to the pan from the US as i couldn't find them here anywhere. Only cost me about £20 for 10 of them so not too bad, just means waiting for them to arrive.

hello where you buy the grommets mate?can you point me in right direction?keep up the good work

White lhd 83 MK1 golf gti (long project)
 Blue rhd 83 mk1 golf gti (weekend toy)
 Skoda roomster (Daily)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.