Skip navigation

Mk1 GTI Blue G60 Conversion

Back to the top
Hey jimi, I know it might be a bit late or if your bothered or not but I got a link off someone for a Rear Arch Tub and whilst looking I found the full Spare Wheel Well, here's the link

http://www.typ-17.de/product_info.php/info/p13327_Reserveradmulde--passend-fuer-Golf-I-und-Golf-I-Cabrio.html

I just thought you could pass on the one I sold you, to help fund it ;)

Andy.

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Hey jimi, I know it might be a bit late or if your bothered or not but I got a link off someone for a Rear Arch Tub and whilst looking I found the full Spare Wheel Well, here's the link

http://www.typ-17.de/product_info.php/info/p13327_Reserveradmulde--passend-fuer-Golf-I-und-Golf-I-Cabrio.html

I just thought you could pass on the one I sold you, to help fund it ;)

Andy.

Thanks for the link mate, also an interesting website. I think my tub is in fairly good condition with just the one area that needs repairing, so your piece should do it. If it is any worse on closer inspection I may replace the complete tub :thumbs:

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Very nice Jimi. Great work dude.  :thumbs:

Thanks Smudger :)  

Back to the top
Decided to set about repairing the spare wheel well tonight.

So upside down on the roll over jig for futher inspection!

Next I cut some of the rear valance away to gain enough access. Im gonna be putting a new rear end on anyhow.

Area cut out!

Cleaned the under seal from the spare piece of wheel well which I got from Melteddrummer, cheers Andy  :thumbs:

Then cut repair piece to suit.

Welded into place and primered  :)

Back to the top
Nice repair Jim, looks tidy ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
That's a good fit Jimi, nice work as usual :cool: I was thinking of coming up with a different design for where the rear valance meets the well, as it's a magnet for rot. Still undecided which way to go with it though:dry:

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Nice repair Jim, looks tidy ;)

Cheers, once all the welding is done I will going over all my welds with a small grinder to smooth them off better  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

That's a good fit Jimi, nice work as usual :cool: I was thinking of coming up with a different design for where the rear valance meets the well, as it's a magnet for rot. Still undecided which way to go with it though:dry:

Cheers Andy, true what you say, they all go in this area!

Back to the top
I was thinking maybe go from the top of the well to the bottom of the valance instead of the other way round. This way if it rots, it will only be a small repair at the bottom of the valance, if you know what I mean?

Back to the top
Guys you need to make sure the bottom of the valance is secured otherwise it'll flap as air passes below the car.

Back to the top
Small update, repaired a small hole in the spare wheel well and welded up 2 small pin holes.

The decided to make sum repairs along the edge of the scuttle panel, this is the only place where it has gone.

Some pics of the areas to be repaired.

One of the problem areas cut out!

New pieces welded in a sanded!

Finished and primered.

I then started to remove the rear panel and have a fair bit on there with rot etc  :|

Back to the top
Good job again mate, looking good! ;)

Jimi, is that surface rust starting to form on the scuttle panel? or is it dust from the saw mill or something?

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Good job again mate, looking good! ;)

Jimi, is that surface rust starting to form on the scuttle panel? or is it dust from the saw mill or something?

Cheers Andy, yes its light surface rust, only on the front end. Its from when I picked the car up from the blasters in january on an open trailer and it got sprayed with salty water from the roads. I will need to go over the areas with a fine wire brush wheel before it goes for paint, but it does come off easily. :thumbs:

Back to the top
Cool man. What's next on the list?

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Cool man. What's next on the list?

Rear end now, need to get a new rear panel and new lower corners ordered and get cracking on with that.  :)

Back to the top
Very nice welding work mate going on here. Credit to you. Looks brilliant.  :cool:

Back to the top
Had a few more hours on the car today decided to repair my drivers door which was a little rotton. I bought a bottom door repair section from vw heritage but on arrival it was the passenger side which arrived and it is the only one they sell. As the profiles are different at the front and the back of the door I was unable to use it and thought it would be easier to make a piece from scratch than modify the repair panel.

Pic showing the damage

Area cut out

Repair piece made

Tacked into place

Fully welded then primered

I have now removed the rear panel so was able to get at the lower rear corners these had been previously repaired by welding new ones over old so I cut off the overlay to find this.

Then the original part was cut out and also a small hole in inner arch to be repaired

Small patch welded in

Then lower corner was tacked into position but I wont be welding it fully until the other side is done and I have offered up the rear panel to check fitment. I also welded up the bumper mount hole

Seeing as I had welded up 1 bumper mount hole thought I would do my new wings aswell  :)

Back to the top
Excellent work Jimi, that door repair is spot on mate!! ;)

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Excellent work Jimi, that door repair is spot on mate!! ;)

Cheers Andy, if I could have sourced a door locally I probably would have done as postage is an issue if its from away. At least it keeps costs down by repairing it.  :lol: How is yours coming along?

Back to the top
Coming on ok, just done an update too mate, have a look!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.