Skip navigation

Mk1 GTI Blue G60 Conversion

Back to the top
Finished off fitting the o/s outer sill today,

Here are some pics of the progress.

Outer sill tacked into place

Door was then fitted to check the position and gaps then was fully welded.

Then a light coat of primer to stop the bare metal going rusty.

Next job is to fit a new front panel and new wings, so I made a start by removing the front panel. There are a couple of repairs that I need to do on the inner wings then hopefully I can get the new panels fitted next weekend  :)

As it stands!

Back to the top
Coming along nicely dude.  :cool:

Back to the top
Nice work Jimi, nice to get a bit completed isn't it!

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Coming along nicely dude.  :cool:

Melteddrummer said

Nice work Jimi, nice to get a bit completed isn't it!

Cheers, yeah definately good to get bits done, still a fair bit of welding to do :thumbs:  

Back to the top
Just read it through, good welding skills & fabrication. It all takes time but in the end another one will be saved, well done.

Back to the top

Cero said

Just read it through, good welding skills & fabrication. It all takes time but in the end another one will be saved, well done.

Thanks mate, they are certainly becoming rare little cars, and not often do you see them on the roads.

Back to the top
Small update.

I have been doing some repairs to the front inner wings.

Area marked to be cut out complete with previous repairs.

And cut out.

Repair section fabricated.

Welded into place.

Next up, drivers side inner wing.

Area to be repaired.

Cut out.

Repair piece made.

And welded into place!

Thought I would have a quick tidy under the car, this is a pic of some of the metal which has been removed and replaced on the car!

Next I removed the roll over jig from the front of the car and set it on axle stands and blocks ready for fitting the new front panel!

Back to the top
Excellent work again Jimi!, handy having a saw mill for all your blocks and stuff!

Did that 1/4 wheel well arrive yet?

Back to the top
Cheers Andy :thumbs:

Yes, recieved the 1/4 of wheel well, thanks for that!

Back to the top
Cool, no worries. :cool:

Back to the top
Jimi what grade of grit did you use to blast your shell ?

Back to the top

Cero said

Jimi what grade of grit did you use to blast your shell ?

I'm not sure, a local guy did the blasting for me, as soon as I source another drivers door and tailgate I will be getting him to blast them so will ask him then :thumbs:

Back to the top
Nice welding there Jimi. Going to be great when finished mate.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Wow you've got some skills there chief! I love reading project threads where gurus like you say here's the rot, now cut out, repair panel made, and fully welded in!!!!  

Great thread, keep the updates & cracking work flowing!

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Nice welding there Jimi. Going to be great when finished mate.  :thumbs:

Hope so mate  :) 

Back to the top

bouchay said

Wow you've got some skills there chief! I love reading project threads where gurus like you say here's the rot, now cut out, repair panel made, and fully welded in!!!!  

Great thread, keep the updates & cracking work flowing!

Thanks buddy :thumbs: , with patience and willingness i'm sure anybody could have a go!

Back to the top
Did a little more on the car yesterday.
I got the front panel fitted.

Firstly I offered it up and clamped it into place then marked up where to drill for the spot welds The panel was then removed and drilled then put back back on and tacked into place. Next I fitted the bonnet and new wings to check the fitment and adjust the gaps etc.

Grill was fitted as well to be sure it would all line up correctly.

The panels required minor adjustments and after a few hours I was pretty pleased with how they lined up.

So back off with the bonnet and wings so that the front panel could be fully welded, then a light coat of primer was added to the welds.

Back to the top
Looks good Jimi, nice job mate. Don't forget any awkward welds you get when it's back on the jig.

Looking good mate!!

Andy.

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Looks good Jimi, nice job mate. Don't forget any awkward welds you get when it's back on the jig.

Looking good mate!!

Andy.

Cheers Andy, there are a couple of welds I have left until its back on the roll over jig. :thumbs:

Back to the top
Very nice Jimi. Great work dude.  :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.