Skip navigation

Mk1 GTI Blue G60 Conversion

Back to the top
Nice work ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Spent a few more hours this week tending to the body work  :)

More work on the windscreen!

Roof!

Rear quarter repair.

I have a few small holes to repair on the floor pan then the bigger works can begin, rear panel, front panel and inner and outer sills!

Back to the top
nice work mate, repairs are good and shaped well. :thumbs:

Back to the top

Swallowtail_uk said

nice work mate, repairs are good and shaped well. :thumbs:

Cheers mate! Almost at the point where I need to decide which to do next, rear panel and lower corners both sides or both inner and outer sills  O_o

Back to the top
Recieved some parts from vw heritage so decided to start with the fuel filler panel repair.

Also made another purchase to assist me with my welding…… An auto dimming welding helmet from fleabay!

Old………. And new!

The hand shield is ok for long runs of weld, but when doing spots of welds it is difficult to be precise. The new helmet makes it much easier!

The area was cut out large enough so I could repair the inner wing which was rotten aswell!

Then the repair panel was cut to fit and used as a template to cut the hole in the inner wing repair. 

Welded and painted.

Back to the top
Nice work. Auto-dim helmets are brilliant, so much easier than a hand-held jobby!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
One reason I love my speedglas :)

Good progress matey! 

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Nice work. Auto-dim helmets are brilliant, so much easier than a hand-held jobby!

Brad. said

One reason I love my speedglas :)

Good progress matey! 

Cheers, with the hand held shield, you line the mig gun up with where you want to weld but by the time you hold the shield up to your face the gun has moved slighty and sometimes you miss where you were aiming for.  :P
plus you can pick up those auto dim helmets cheap enough now  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Some good pregress mate. Good skills. Like the helmet.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Awesome repairs mate,mopar do a banging green it's almost black under normal lighting but has stunning green highlights in the sun

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Some good pregress mate. Good skills. Like the helmet.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Cheers mate, still lots to do :thumbs: 

Back to the top

utterly-dubberly said

Awesome repairs mate,mopar do a banging green it's almost black under normal lighting but has stunning green highlights in the sun

Thanks, I will look up the colour, sounds like the old lotus calton colour, imperial green which can look almost black.

Back to the top
On the face of it the car looked pretty good before you set to work on it.  Scary just how much rot can exist on a 'Solid' looking car.

Butleraw '83 Schwarz Black GTI

Back to the top

butleraw said

On the face of it the car looked pretty good before you set to work on it.  Scary just how much rot can exist on a 'Solid' looking car.

Thing is the car had a respray a few years ago, and if you havent had it done yourself it could be hiding all sorts, most probably filler, fiberglass and rot as in my case :lol:. The paintjob would have looked ok for a few years until the rust would start bubbling through again! :(  only one way to do it properly ands thats to cut the rot out and weld in new metal.

Back to the top
Decided my next move would be tackling the n/s outer sill.
It has had a new sill on at some point in its life and had been put on by partly overlapping the original sill.

How does the old saying go? Something like if you can see rust on the outside it is 10 times worse where you cant see?

Anyway sill removed.

Here you can see where sill was overlapped

Rot cut out of front inner sill and tacked up

Floor pan cut out and repaired

Now started on the back area of inner sill

Rot cut out

New piece cut out, folded and tacked in

And fully welded

Next outer sill and car were fettled so new sill could be butt welded in.

Clamped and tacked in place

Door fitted to check gaps!

And fully welded

One down, one to go! 

Back to the top
Really good effort, i hope mines not like this lol

Back to the top
Top skills mate. Progress made.  :)  :)

Back to the top

Pipsical said

Thanks….. I think.  :lol:

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Top skills mate. Progress made.  :)  :)

Cheers mate

Back to the top

Jimievo said

Pipsical said

Thanks….. I think.  :lol:

I meant hope mine isnt rusty like this was, not your work thats looking awesome. I wouldnt dare go this far with a strip down. I'd get bored, the end result will be epic. Keep it up.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.