Skip navigation

Mk1 GTI Blue G60 Conversion

Back to the top
Hi everyone!

Here is my mk1 gti project. Always wanted one of these!
car was bought as a runner. I have stripped it down, spent many hours with a heat gun and scraper to remove all the stonechip guard from underneath so that it was ready for sandblasting.
Anyway car is back and the project can begin to move forwards. Felt aprehensive about getting it back and seeing what I have to work with!

So here she is! Any comments welcome.

now for the bits that need attention

Both inner wings and floor pan where they meet needs repairing. Both have suffered from the sunroof drain tubes falling inside.

spare wheel well has has a previous repair.

windscreen frame and A pillar!

another previous repair that needs sorting.

looking forward to get cracking!

Back to the top
Welcome aboard!

Looks like you've got some work to do, but with the space you got, the spit and the sandblasting it should make life a lot easier!  :cool:

Look forward to your updates

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looking good mate. I'm nearly at the same stage as you, can't wait to get stuck in!

Keep the updates coming and good luck with the rest of it!!

Andy.

Back to the top
Jealous of the space!! Can't wait to get I to mine either, is it staying Lhasa by any chance  :wub:

Back to the top
looks good mate, i'll be watching this project. :) :thumbs:

Back to the top
It has certainly gone in all the common places, good thing is you can now see what you are working with and a massive good luck from me

Ill be watching this one!

1983 Mk1 Golf Gti 1.8 - Black
1999 Toyota Hi-Lux - White
2008 British Bulldog age 1 - Red & White
2009 Range Rover Sport - Black
2012 Mitsubishi Canter Tipper - Orange

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Welcome aboard!

Looks like you've got some work to do, but with the space you got, the spit and the sandblasting it should make life a lot easier!  :cool:

Look forward to your updates

Thanks, it is nice to have the space. I keep reminding myself that there are ones that have been in worse condition that have been restored on here. Lol

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Looking good mate. I'm nearly at the same stage as you, can't wait to get stuck in!

Keep the updates coming and good luck with the rest of it!!

Andy.

Thanks, it will be good to start moving forwards on the project.

Back to the top

Brad. said

Jealous of the space!! Can't wait to get I to mine either, is it staying Lhasa by any chance  :wub:

As much as i like Lhasa green, now it has been blasted i think i will change the colour, probably still keep it green, just maybe a different shade!

Back to the top

Swallowtail_uk said

looks good mate, i'll be watching this project. :) :thumbs:

Cheers!

Back to the top

bigbadchris said

It has certainly gone in all the common places, good thing is you can now see what you are working with and a massive good luck from me

Ill be watching this one!

Just goes to show you never really know what you are dealing with until you remove the stonechip guard and get it blasted as all sorts of sins can be covered with paint and underseal! Cant wait to get stuck in on the bodywork!

Back to the top
Good luck matey
im going to be starting my Lhasa green project soon,still using it as my daily for the time being though,I'll be keeping an eye on this one,got any pics of how it was before?
 :thumbs:

Back to the top

Jimievo said

Brad. said

As much as i like Lhasa green, now it has been blasted i think i will change the colour, probably still keep it green, just maybe a different shade!
keep it lhasa mate,its a nice green and being standard it will make the car worth more when you sell it!

Back to the top
Nice work space mate. Usual MK1 issues there so nothing that can't be sorted out. You look like you're well on the way. Best of luck.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Looks like a good start, doesn't look to rusty! wish I had mine shotblast now seeing this. Good luck with the rest of it!

Back to the top

sphmk1 said

Good luck matey
im going to be starting my Lhasa green project soon,still using it as my daily for the time being though,I'll be keeping an eye on this one,got any pics of how it was before?
 :thumbs:

Here is a couple of pics when I bought it in september. It was an unfinished G60 project. I moved the intercooler and pipe work and fitted a mocal 13 row oil cooler, fitted a mk4 gear shift tower and mated it to the corrado gear box, bled the brakes and ran it up the road to make sure engine and gearbox were fine, and pleased to say they were. Then began the strip down!

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Nice work space mate. Usual MK1 issues there so nothing that can't be sorted out. You look like you're well on the way. Best of luck.  :thumbs:

Thanks! Plan to make a start on saturday! Small holes first! Haha

Back to the top

Jimievo said

smudger1980 said

Thanks! Plan to make a start on saturday! Small holes first! Haha

I could crack a joke but I won't  :lol:  ;)

Back to the top
As long as it doesnt involve jimmy saville  :lol:

Back to the top
Had a couple of hours spare today so thought I would have a first attempt at some bodywork  :)

Next tackled a small hole in the A pillar.

Quite pleased with the results, will gain confidence on the smaller areas and work my way up to the more tricky bits!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.