Skip navigation

mk1 golf on eBay - WARNING

Back to the top

CAT C Damaged -

After a full wasted day (time and money) I got so worked up and decided to warn other mk1 owners.

The sills on this car have been covered with spray paint cans to mask the rot. The doors have had washers between the hinges to space them out because the car is a CAT C damage repair (a very bad repair) something which the eBay seller and the owner Dave do not admit to.

I even showed the arrogant owner the HPI report and he would not accept that it was CAT C in 2001 and still wanted £2000 for it. He thought I was there to get the price knocked down but I offered him to use my phone and money to do a report and he declined. Doubted my knowledge in cars and the mk1's when he himself has not a clue about maintenance and car sales.

His words on the phone "mint and no rust"
I never believe the sellers when they say this because 99% of the time these people do not know what the term "mint" is.

I have been in the trade for a long time and know the rule and how to approach people but this guy is an absolute moron! He now knows its a CAT C so should explain this to the new owner. Do not risk your life, do not waste your time or travel money over this liar!

Buying a cat C or cat D is not that bad as it can be light panel damage due to the age of these mk1's but I thought I’d warn you in case you are bidding on this turd.
It may be a bargain for someone but don't expect money back when you sell it on. The fact that this guy lied to me on many things has really pee'd me off!

I knew it was a CAT C before my travel but it has been badly repaired and if it wasnt for the arrogance of the owner I would not have posted this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150977616279?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Blue:ocf_emoticons__icon_confused:

Last edit: by Blue_MK2

Back to the top
Shame mate that you wasted your time on this one and that people think it's ok to lie about their descriptions and can sleep at night.

Only good thing I suppose is that you didn't buy it and you sound you know what you are looking it when it comes to cars. Someone not so informed about MK1's might buy it as advertised and not notice it is a cat c or not do an HPI check. :(

Oh and the term "mint" is so subjective it is a word I don't personally use in my adverts when I sell things as it is so widely used.

Back to the top
I'm not looking to buy a car bit I just wanted you to know I think you have done the right thing posting on here and I hope you manage to find your perfect Mk1 from an honest seller. 
Good luck with the search. Brit.

Goly The Golf, a 1983 5dr 1.3cl having a full resto.
Cherub, a 1985 Mk2 Polo Breadvan.
1995 Rover Mini Sprite (wife's daily)

Back to the top
Thanks guys I was expecting to get flamed for writing this.
Thought I would warn the nice mk1 owners as I have been looked after by them at a few meets.

If you have a friend bidding then it's worth advising them about this. It's the least I can do.

:)

Back to the top
Is the owner a member on here?

Have a look in the classifieds on here mate there may be one for you. Always best to buy from someone who is a true enthusiast IMO.

Back to the top
Good call sir, from the eBay pics it would certainly seem like a straight enough car to look at, or maybe even bid on!

The owner is now legally obliged (although not forced) to inform the owner now that he's aware - but if he's the type of seller that you describe him as (similar to the genuine-looking seller of my Bora) then he's not likely to…

In honesty, although without looking at the car, I wouldn't really pay £2000 for it, even if it wasn't a reclaim. It just seems a bit tatty, the interior, engine bay and some of the paint finishes give it a shabby feel.

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Top man, My pal was looking at that and he showed me, ive just txt him to ask the owner if its had any work,, going to play dumb and see what the out come is..

Instagram Firemandan1

Back to the top
Thanks loads for posting this i wanted to go and have a look this weekend as its near me but due to not being well i would have rushed up sometime in the week. It may have wasted ur time but not a total waste coz i might not have spotted what u did.

Back to the top
The 'selling for a friend' cobblers always puts me off.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
The eBay pics show it as a decent enough mk1. It just proves you really have to go look at them, inside outside and underneath and do your homework with a hpi check.

Sorry to hear your time was wasted, but at least you still have your money in your pocket!  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
No problem people! Glad this post has helped a bit.

By all means check it out for yourself. Paint is a cheap blow over with over spray everywhere. Not a good job.

Doors have rust in the edges where the inner and outer skins are joint.
Underside of bonnet is rusty and I didnt bother inspecting behind the petrol cap chrome cover up.
Sunroof gutters corroded badly.

I know it's an old car and may still be attractive to someone who wants to strip it out for a rally shell or what ever.
The rest of us - Watch out for these people!

Blue

Back to the top
bad luck Sat, saw your post on facebook about it.

how local was it?

Back to the top
Hello JP hows the mk1?

Corby - about 200 miles round trip from where we were today. If it was from my house then not too bad. :lol:  8-ish miles to the nearest hospital. Confused much? lol long story!

Back to the top
glad you posted that im on ebay looking for one ... lol

Back to the top
Theres always chancers out there isnt there. what a To###r!! I think we should ALL messege him asking if the cars CAT C??:lol: Fill his email up with messeges, hell think his Christmas has come early!!:lol:

Volkswagen Golf LS (1981 X)   Austin Morris Mini HL (1981 X)  Honda Civic Type S CTDi (2009 59)   Mercedes-Benz 208D F & D Motorhome (1990 G)  Audi A2 SE (2001 X) Banner

Back to the top
Come on then let's do it I just asked him lol

Back to the top
I've asked too the more ppl who do the more he'll realise there's a community out there watching each other's back ;)

Back to the top
gud on u waring people this is what we need  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Excellent so good to see someone standup and tell others in the club about ebay perils

Sadly there are all too many untruthful and deceitful traders/sellers on the bay

wrecking it for honest sellers most pics on the bay make cars look pretty

sound advice to view before buying

Have you reported them on ebay there pretty good at removing stuff like this…

Back to the top
5 Stars for you Blue_MK2!

This is just the sort of thing that should be exposed for other true Golf lovers to see!

You might of just saved someone at this Club a small fortune, let alone the time, stress and aggravation.

Good for you Mate!

Mike.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.