Skip navigation

How to start my full resto'??

Back to the top

Help and advice for my first restoration project please :-)

The thought of a full resto is very scary but I think she needs too much work for a sympathetic resto. I certainly need two new front wings, the tailgate has a crack in the paint so I'm guessing it has some filler in it, the passenger door has been scratched and damaged by the previous owner and the inside of both front doors have serious chips along the top edge so need a respray. From what I can tell I think I have a fairly solid shell so fingers crossed, if I do this right, I should have a car that will last another 30 years at least. The engine is ready for a full overhaul so I will be cracking on with that whilst the shell is in the bodyshop. I think the car is solid because the previous owner had owned her for 25 years. However, some of the panels were scratched, dented, had lacquer runs and were in a generally poor condition because the previous owner was 97, partially blind and deaf in one ear! Why he hadn't stopped driving before he did I will never know!
:thumbs:

Goly The Golf, a 1983 5dr 1.3cl having a full resto.
Cherub, a 1985 Mk2 Polo Breadvan.
1995 Rover Mini Sprite (wife's daily)

Back to the top
From experience I would consider leaving the engine until last and concentrate on getting the parts underneath restored and getting the shell rolling again.

You can then start to replace the interior (which there will be a lot of if you consider the glass,seats, dash etc. and get some major lumps out of your way. The safest place for interior and alike is back on the car and out the way.
Inspect your parts as you strip and make a note of what you need to get it back together (rubbers, seat runners, etc. This will speed up the process as there's nothing worse than starting a job you can't finish.

The engine isn't going get any damage sitting in the corner and is probably the easiest job to sort out.

Back to the top
Very true, I had not thought of that. I was just getting excited as I know what I'm doing with engines and I like getting stuck in and dirty ;) 

Goly The Golf, a 1983 5dr 1.3cl having a full resto.
Cherub, a 1985 Mk2 Polo Breadvan.
1995 Rover Mini Sprite (wife's daily)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.