Skip navigation

My MK1 Jetta first project

Back to the top
Seems like ages since i've posted an update - but its actually only been 3 weeks  -abut alot has progressed in thoses 3 weeks :)

Rear breaks: shoes finally fitted after alot of faffing about and wresting with springs lol

Then my new coilover arrived :D Soo pretty in blue as well lol.

Next i had to move the axle stands from the rear axle to the side body jack point - not fun at all!!

but after a few tense moment they were in place!

Now that the sear suspension was free i could get the old struts and springs off…. well try. The thing that i've struggles most with on the project so far is not having the strenght to undo the rusted nuts and bolts - at times like that i wish i had the power of a man lol. However not to be defeated I came up with alternative meathods:
Sitting in the jacked up boot and using my feet… and it worked :D

Old struts and springs out - new coilovers in :D

Before reattaching the top there was still the break pipes and hoses to attend to. Previously held in by tie wraps i though it was going to be easy but ended up having to saw the old hoses off. Having the axle low made it a whole lot easier though.

Nice new break pipes fitted:

Breaks all put back together so could finish the coilovers :D

Yesterday and tuesday i also fitted a new wheel bearing and got the drums back on - nearly loosing my fingers in the process -ahhhh.

Not putting the new exhaust on until the breaks are bled. Got the front jacked up and thought the calipers would be easy - doesnt look to pretty and just got a quote of £150 for reconditioned calipers, disks and pads - bit more than i was expecting :(

All on thrack though. Went to visit the body shop too and Stuart came out to look at the jetta. Hope to get it to him this Tuesday - but i'd wanted to get all the breaks done first. So going to pop the old calipers back on and great the rears bled so can  pop the exhaust on and will just have to do the breaks when its at the body shop next week.

Is getting really close now :DD

Back to the top
Ive sat in the boot of mine a few times trying to get those bolts out lol

Back to the top
Loving the thread and well done for getting stuck in  :thumbs:
Nice meeting you at Haddington also. I hope that your car is in the paint shop now as planned.
If you haven't already fixed your fuel lines I got new metal pipe from Clarik in Rosyth and renewed all of mine. I think they sell stuff on ebay also if Rosyth is too far away from you.

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top
Great work mate lots of nice shiney parts, iv always liked boots, i wouldnt be mounting it on axel stand like that thou:)

Back to the top
How's the paint job coming along Anna? 

Back to the top
Hay Greig, all the doors are off and the quarter windows - going to visit tomorrow hahah will post up some pics :)

Back to the top
Soz just saw your earlier post. Was great to meet you too - my dad keeps telling me to do the jetta likes yours :) we just replaced one little bit of the fuel line and think that should be ok but that's good to know as rosyth isn't far :)

Back to the top
Paint the car the colour that you want it because that way once its done you will be happy and not wishing youd gone with another colour.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Too late, its been tangoed ;-)

Back to the top
It's not tango'd yet Chris - I have to decide by beginning of next week lol.

That's a good point Greig, I'm just slightly concerned the dark orange will look boy racer - like how some scoobys do.

Haha glad its a tried and tested method golf_coupe

Yeah I hated having it on axle stands - want a full on car lift :D

Back to the top
Not far from rosyth? me and chris (dubbuds) are from Falkirk!! Should get along to the local meet ;-)

Back to the top

golf_coupe said

Not far from rosyth? me and chris (dubbuds) are from Falkirk!! Should get along to the local meet ;-)

Guys

Why don't the 2 of you come and meet up with the rest of us at the shows or monthly meets ??

Chris

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

golf_coupe said

Guys

Why don't the 2 of you come and meet up with the rest of us at the shows or monthly meets ??

Chris

Sounds good to me :thumbs:

Looking forward to seeing what colour you decide on this :)

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

golf_coupe said

Guys

Chris

Hear hear, the more the merrier.

Greig

Back to the top
How come you and Duddubs didn't make it to thirlstane castle or the mini show? You going to pop up to Glamis? 
Should be the jetta debue :D be good to get a convoy too - I'm just meet Edinburgh airport.

Back to the top
*near Edin airport

Back to the top
Looking good! Can't wait to see the paint now!

Back to the top
I work up north 3 weeks out of 4 so miss most meets  :( and although I own three mk1s none of them are running lol

Back to the top
Updates:

Took the radiator and cowling out - cowling wasnt too bad but gave it a quick sand down and a fresh coat of primer and paint which made a huge differance. Got the new radiator in too making engine bay nearly complete

After a few more tight bolts at the front I go tthe front suspension removed - again more jigging about witht the jack and axle stands lol

New front coilovers just slipped perfectly into place - the suspension has been the eaiest bit of the whole project so far lol

With the suspnesion all done I wanted to get the rear breaks bled before fitting the exhuast - just to make sure, thinking this would be a 10 minute job - i wish. Faffed on for ages but couldnt get the peddal to go hard. But the front calipers were in such a bad way we eventually determined that once the new caliper were on it would be ok.
With that being the case I wrestled the new exhuast into pace while i waited for the new calipers to arrive.
Again this wasn't to easy, but an hour later, covered in firegum, having had to remove it to shorten a jointing piece it all looked great (all though not all the hangers wanted to play ball.

New calipers arrived and agian i thought this would be a quick and easy job hahah. First task was removing the old disks - well trying to - the had stuck themselves to the hub - not amount of hammering could get them off - infact one sheered in half. Ended up heating them with the welder - no luck and final resort drilling them and using the grinder to cut them off!!!

New ones on nice and easy but calipers and pads were a pain, first of all the calipers seamed slightly different from each other and totally different from the old ones, but they fitted on. Went to fit the pads and they were the square type that needs pins - did they tell me that when i bought them - nope - did they have a fitting kit in stock - nope - so had to use some wood screws as a temporary measure. Also one caliper seamed to have the pads almost loose and the other was so tight had to take it off again and ram the piston back in… feww. But all shiney new and working a treat!

Temporary p-slots on and all 4 wkeels back on the ground for the first time in 6 months :D

Started well with a little help from the booster - again first time running since i bought it to the garage. Reversed it down our very steep drive - good test for the brakes hahaha
there was oil and water poared all over the drive which was very worrying at first but think it was old oil for hweb it got moved without itd rocker cover and there was an airlock in pipes

and its away and i have a gaving hole in the garage now lol.
I visited it at the paint shop today and its coming along great - will post pics tomor as its kinda late now lol

Back to the top
Looking forward to the paint shop pics. :)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.