Skip navigation

My MK1 Jetta first project

Back to the top
Stick some pics up if you can for us and perhaps vote on. I agree Mars red does look awesome but I think maroon is also a good choice due to it's rareity.

Back to the top
Great idea, I'll see if I can doc some pics I get the right wheels and trims I'm gona put on it etc

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Stick some pics up if you can for us and perhaps vote on. I agree Mars red does look awesome but I think maroon is also a good choice due to it's rareity.

The maroon shade is known as Gambia Red ;-)

DubPartz

Back to the top

DubPartz said

The maroon shade is known as Gambia Red ;-)

Yeah that one.  :$  :ocf_emoticons__oops:

Back to the top
just read through this and lookin good mate, good luck with it all  :thumbs:

as for colour choice… Gambia Red all the way! (i might be a bit biased though..)  :lol:  did see a jetta in gambia red on stanceworks once though, looked real nice.

are you only choosing between those colours though? for instance i dont think i've ever seen a Manilla or Lido Green mk1 jetta  ;)

'83 formel e

Back to the top
Aw thanks very much! I'm absolutely loving doing it! Didn't get anything done last weekend due to a stomach bug :(  but gona get cracking on sat.

I'm really not sure what to do about colour as dont want to have to take the engine out atm so the bay would be a different colour and then there is the faf on with the inside of the doors. The other colour I'm thinking about - which is my fav colour in the world - not quite lido green but flip-flop metallic orange. I got a scarf in a gift bag which is exactly the colour - I'll post a pic soon! But think orange and no standard orange might be too far out from the cars original styling.

You got any pics of your car?

Back to the top
gambia red you say? ;)

mines went green for a while

but its pretty different again now  :(

Back to the top
Unusual colour Gambia Red. Like it though.

Back to the top
here's my gambia red (my paint is pretty bad and faded a bit though so not the best to show the colour):

and the jetta on stanceworks:
http://www.stanceworks.com/2013/01/the-jettalac-anthony-sundells-bagged-mk1-jetta-sedan/

i think it would look really good, plus it wouldn't matter so much about changing the engine bay

'83 formel e

Back to the top
Looks spot on Ned.  :)

Back to the top

golf_coupe said

gambia red you say? ;)

mines went green for a while

but its pretty different again now  :(

Waw what a differance red - green - was it a great hassle changing the colour completely? WHat sit like now? Do you still have it?

Back to the top
Looking good Ned, i've never seen a golf in gambia red before!

ooh i'm really tempted, but dont know how im going to make the desision. I think that as long as its a good paint job it probably wont really matter what colour it is as should look good. But it now adds to the equations that if im going to change the entire colour should i make it white - as it was a white jetta that i first fell in love with.

Had hope to get on with it abit today but its sooo cold i opted not roll around on the garage floor. Have got the rear badge all masked up for resprayign though and just need to nip to halfords for some new rocker cover bolts. SO not much progress atm, my deadline of 1st of june is fast approaching - especially fitting in the respray so have a horrible feeling it may slip to July 1st :/

Looking for cheap exhaust pipes atm too, then get a nice sporty back box and also due to time and costs going to go for busget coilovers - i know - terrible idea but if i hold out for £££ ones the car wont get done for ages and i can always replace them in a year or two for some fancy ones.

Back to the top
its like this now

so yeah,pretty much still got it lol. Had it 19 years and still never driven it hahaha. Ill finish it this year though………

Back to the top
And the first paint job was great but not as comprehensive as id eventually come to want. Should be acid dipped this year after getting readied for vr6 power and all the little patches done then repainted inside and out so that its a full colour change as if it came from the factory :wub:

Back to the top
Heheh aww that sounds amazing! 19 years though!! What did you do with it for 19 years?? I'm having real trouble finding an exhaust. Want just a straight bit of pipe for middle silencer and then the connector bit to the back box, emailed euro car parts and the denied my car with 1.3 engine even existed lol

Back to the top
My Dads x plate Jetta was Gambia red ;-)

Back to the top

JettyJ said

Heheh aww that sounds amazing! 19 years though!! What did you do with it for 19 years?? I'm having real trouble finding an exhaust. Want just a straight bit of pipe for middle silencer and then the connector bit to the back box, emailed euro car parts and the denied my car with 1.3 engine even existed lol

Build it,strip it,build it,strip it etc etc lol.

ECP are full of it. You just need a 1.3 golf front to middle system though. Id suggest going factory for that then get a custom rear box made

Back to the top
Evening dudes, i've had a very productive and busy Easter day in the garage.
I'd tried cleaning the engine bay before with jizzer but didnt seam to make much difference so but abit more vigor into it and came out really well. Just done half the bay atm as ran out of jizer halfway though. Rust primed the bits in the bay. Made a wee trip to Halfords for some new rocker cover bolts, jizzer and can on spray mars red. Final got the newly painted rocker cover and metal strips back on.

cleaned up bay

Rocker cover in place

I spent a good 40min cleaning up the oil cap. First with wet and dry then finished off with Silvo. Worked alot better than i thought it would but think it could still do with abit further clean or polish

before

After

Then all together:

Need to still clean the other side then rub down the rust primer before masking everything to give it a spray of red.

I also finished the rust primer under the car and gave the rear subframe and antiroll bar its first  coast of matt black. With the back wheels off got at it alot easier.

Got some help and brut force to get the rear drums off. Shoes pretty knackard looking so going to order them and new cylinders this week. Also cleaned the outer drum out and need to get all the rust cleaned off and geth them painted.

Exhaust now sourced as well which is great and bought myself an early birthdas treats of some interior trim bits :D

As for the colour think i may just stick with the mars red for now. The wheels however ….. I was going to get some bbs reps and wait to get the real deal but the real deals look sooo much better i might get some stealies for now - any recomondation which ones??

Back to the top
oh and a pic of the o/f rear drum:

Back to the top
Good going with the jobs :-)

Just think, every time you complete a job, that's 1 of the list BUT then you spot another 2 extra jobs to do, lol :-)

There are too many online users to list.