Skip navigation

Starter Motor Woes

Back to the top
Hi,

Just after some help regarding the starter motor on my 1.6 GTi.

Initially it turned out I had two totally dead starters. I've now got a brand new one.

Once fitted you can here it spinning away (improvement already) but its not engaging with the flywheel, doesn't sound like its trying either as its a clean spinning noise. Now I know generally this means a jammed solenoid so I removed it again and bench tested it and its is spinning and throwing the ring gear forward as expected, I'm using the same battery for the test as what's fitted in the car.

So has anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
Dave

Back to the top
When you say ring gear I presume you mean pinnion gear, did you look at the ring gear when you had the starter off, if the starter is still off look in the hole where the starter came out the end of the teeth on the ring gear should look similar to the teeth on the starter, if they are flat, bured or worn away you will need a new starter ring gear. This normally results in a graunching sound when you try to start so I think you might have been very unlucky and the pinion clutch in the new starter may have failed. Unfortunately I cannot think of an easy way to explain a safe way to test that.

Jon

Back to the top
Yea, mean the pinnion gear, wasn't sure on the proper terminology.

My next plan was to remover the starter from the gearbox and then connect the wiring to make sure it's still kicking out the pinnion gearing connected to the car, can't see why it wouldn't be.

I didn't consider the ring gear on the flywheel being at fault, will try to check that when I take the starter out. But since it's just a clean spinning noise I think that should be ok.

Will look into whether there is a way to test the clutch on the starter

Back to the top
Currently sat waiting for the courier to drop off the replacement starter, fingers crossed that sorts it.

I had a look at the ring gear on the flywheel and that loos ok to me, here's an attempt at taking a picture of it;

Back to the top
New starter motor has arrived and it's doing exactly the same  :P

Back to the top
does it turn by hand mate?

Banner

Back to the top
Yea, turns fine mate.

Back to the top
jump the startwer terminal with 12v feed direct from battery to rule out ign switch or faulty red/black wire, see if that helps. also run a jump lead from battery -ve to one of the starter mounting bolts to rule out bad earth

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Ok, will try those tricks. But the fact the starter is turning suggests in my non technical mind the ignition should be ok O_o

I'm tempted to try a new battery as its not showing up all green on my charger now.

Back to the top
switches can pass current but be damaged so full power cannot make it thru ;)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Ahhhhh, that's interesting. Will post back with results later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Back to the top
dave i have a few new ignition switchs if you need one

Banner

Back to the top
Nice one, cheers Matt. You like to keep yourself covered eh!

Only just home so it can wait til the morning now.

Back to the top
if i could come down dude i would but can't drive at the minute doctors orders

Banner

Back to the top
No worries Matt, hope it's nothing serious.

Well, I've only got ANOTHER faulty starter! :P Followed Jonnys advice, switched live and earth ran straight to the battery and it was still just spinning, pulled it back off and it wasn't kicking the pinnion out, was ok before going back on the car  O_o

Matt, have you still got that other starter in your shed I could try?

Back to the top
yea, what was wrong with the first one i gave you?

Banner

Back to the top
Totally dead mate, even straight off the battery.

Back to the top
oh, i have another if any use

Banner

Back to the top
Cheers dude, might well end up taking you up on that offer. Would've got my new replacement one yesterday if it wasn't for the snow.

Back to the top
i'm kicking around tody mate if you want a hand, bit cold tho :(

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.