Skip navigation

Mk1 Caddy 20v conversion started

Back to the top
Ok here go then. New year new project.
I bought my truck a couple of weeks ago and in fact swapped it for my MK2 VR6. on the drive home it became apparent that this particular 1.6d had to go the clutch was really stiff the linkage was pretty hideous as in  you have to go through the reverse gate to get first or sometimes reverse which is fun the syncros have gone on 3rd and 4th and it has a straight through exhaust which advertises how tricky it is to drive.

ok some pics now
DB469F47-9353-4D82-9789-1D2582EC5EB8-2878-000002454EBB65BA.jpg
with my 3 year old build partner
06C7E6D0-E2FB-468C-A134-CF2392DD9A12-2878-0000026038AB2961.jpg
pretty clean bed
9E5FAFF5-826C-4A3B-A808-DC4885AFBC8E-2878-00000260580AFFAE.jpg
3AF7DB3F-270E-450A-8313-8581B827346D-2878-000002601FABEFC7.jpg
9AE4F926-599D-4C0A-880B-9EB0D7F36C28-2878-000002604A750FF0.jpg

The original plan was to vr6 the truck but after some research and some advice I have decided to go 20vt and managed to pick up my donor this week. I went to pick it up on new years day in the truck with a buddy managed to bottom out the truck on a speed bump right outside the donors house and found I had ruptured the diesel line and it was drippin out pretty fast. So i did the deal on the Golf quickly and then put £30 of diesel in the truck which just got me home 20 miles away!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The donor a mk4 golf GTI limped home on 3 cylinders too not a great start. It turned out to be a duff plug so easy fix. The donor was super cheap but had seen the wrong side of a hedge and post but drives really well.  photo time
37A9466E-F7FE-413A-9FA7-B37B7E56A0CC-2878-0000024556C995AE.jpg

Its an AGU motor and has since dropped back onto 3 cylinders but was cured this time by cleaning terminals on ignition amp. and made a perspex window and doshed some black paint here and there just to make it look ok as my wife is using it for work as her daily drive our Audi A4 tdi had the cam belt "FALL OFF" long story.

So there it is the story starts here.

I,ll try and keep this updated as frequently as possible and I know these threads are always more interesting with pics 

Back to the top
That caddy is clean mate! Has it had a small resto at any point? Good luck on 20v too I'm considering it for my next golf :wub:

Back to the top
I dont know about any resto work but im really looking forward to getting into the project. I thought it was really clean and although I really liked my Mk2 it was a truck I had to get.

Back to the top
Pictures make if look real straight! Good choice..
Looking forward to where it goes.. 

Good luck pal..

Back to the top
Caddy looks really nice and clean and in good nick.

Good luck with the conversion  :thumbs:

Back to the top
update,

well busy weekend…… fixed the broken fuel line on the caddy. Took the Golf for an MOT to see if its worth MOTing or just take it off the road straight away and start stripping the motor out. never been so disapointed with a car passing an MOT but it did. So it stays on the road for a couple of weeks more.

However this has given me some time to sort out a few bits on the caddy. filled the bumper fixing holes in the lightcluster corners and repainted them then went to work on the cab seam as its a bit messy cleaned them up removed all the excess sealant and re-painted them. photos to follow.

Really need to get the head back on the wifes A4 so I can re-claim my workshop.

Back to the top
If it's there mate you may as well make use of it. :)

Back to the top
Paid membership today.

Back to the top
that is a very sweet looking caddy!

Back to the top

BUDSY said

Paid membership today.

Welcome to the nuthouse  :$

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

BUDSY said

Paid membership today.

Welcome to the nuthouse  :$

Thanks fella I already feel at home.

Good news today.
Re-built head on my a4 and put back together successfully many thanks to my Audi guy Ian and his broken ankle for letting me stand there and pass him spanners  :thumbs:
Now selling the Audi A4 2005 tdi s line avant to make way for a Golf mk5 gti please.

Back to the top

Bit of progress today rear end now flushed all the holes away and in primer. 

Back to the top
Update.
My audi is now sold and gone and another golf bought for the wife 2006 gt tdi. so the donor GTI can now come apart.
plan is,  this coming weekend to remove the motor and loom from the donor and start selling off all the other useable mk4 bits Ive got someone coming to buy the recaro seats on saturday, that should be half the money back that I paid for the car….. happy days.

Back to the top
Nice work matey.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Lovely looking caddy there

Back to the top
2 hours ago

and now     quite impressed as i'm by no means a competent mechanic

busy day tomorrow so motor should be out on saturday.

Back to the top
nice 1 get that engine out  :thumbs:agu aswell :thumbs:

Back to the top
You don't hang around mate do you. Nice work. The fun begins when it' time to put it all back together.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Engine finally out. 

Can I use the gearbox? And where on it does it tell me what box it is? 
Next I'm gonna strip the motor for a clean and paint. Also head, sump and box off for a good check over. 

Back to the top
looks like a 02j gearbox. u can use it if you got the correct 02a/02j gearbox mounts

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.