Skip navigation

Phils Mk1 Golf GTD Build

Back to the top

Slow and steady wins the race

Yer the old dixons place.
you from round here then?

Back to the top
Seen this for sale 45 miles away so bought it as a spare, to either clean up and sell or ill overhaul it and keep it as a direct replacement if mine ever has any problems. Its completly standard not sure on milage/history but a good buy.

Back to the top
Good buy mate. Hope it makes you some dough if you sell.  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Pipsical said

Yer the old dixons place.
you from round here then?

No Mate
I live in Sheffield , I worked for Dixons , now Just Car Clinics and used to go over to Scunny to look at cars.
Do you need an Intercooler for the Golf i have a few here from when we did my lads conversion.

Back to the top
I will do mate but not going to get one until the engine is in and i can measure up. Was just gonna get a universal one. PM me with some pics of them if you want :-D

Back to the top
Old engine out..
new enine in.. But removed again to weld in engine mount in place.
tried the best i could to straighten out the front panel, maybe replace it in the future if i can find a replacement. Few pics to come :-)

Back to the top
Pictures, didnt take many as i was trying to crack on and get as much done as possible.
this is both the GTD engines, borrowing a few bits.

ready to drop in..

The old 1.1 out and a big gap..

Engine mount chopped..

Front panel looks a bit better..

getting there, reason its not got the belt on is i forgot the altinator bracket so need the bloody pump off.

Last edit: by Pipsical

Back to the top
hi mate do you have a garrett turbo for sale for a gtd regards dan :lol:

Back to the top
K14? I have 2 ;-)

Back to the top
Got the engine in today :-D

Just got to make a rear gearbox mount as the one i have doesnt fit. Hopefully the gear linkages we made work too.
Just need a throttle cable and clutch cable off a diesel as mine are different.

Also decided to buy a new front end as VW heratage sell them for £94. I may run without a bumper till its sorted as mines all bent.

Back to the top
Shame about the front panel. Nice project though. Those seats cleaned up nicely ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yer the seats look good now :)
TBH denting the front  made me wanna swap it out as it's a little rotten in the drivers side corner, currently got filler in it so better in the long run to remove and get a fresh one in.

Hopefully the bits i need are in stock or quick delivery from parts place.

Back to the top
what a find stunning look car doesn't look like it needs any touch ups haha

Back to the top
It does, mainly cause stevie wonder had it before me.

Back to the top
Every cloud does have a silver lining then, will be more sorted in the end for the little bump! :)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Had a few problems today, i hoped to have the engine running.
had to borrow a passenger drive shaft as mine was from the 4 speed so it was about 30mm longer so couldnt get it in.
the caddy radiator is too long.
the coolant pipe work i have were all wrong.
the starter motor was lazy and wouldnt give the kick it needed.

but on a positive note i wired up the glow plugs to a switch and old choke light.
Wired up the stop solinoid on the pump to an ignition live and it did turn over and made the right noises.
made up coolant hoses to go into the radiator.
fitted the drive shaft and made up the gear linkage with the 5 speed steering rack.

ive also ordered a FMIC and pipework today.
some messy pics

Now ive fot a few questions..
should this have a hole in it?

and what the hell is this for?

picture of them both in situ..

hopefully tomorrow will seee it start :-)

Back to the top
the awnser to the first question,no that pipe should not have a hole in it,someone has drilled it so the wastegate on the turbo wont open,so it will keep boosting,but becarefull about blowing head gaskets,
The 2nd pic is a dump valve,mk2 tds had this,it opens at 9 psi to dump exess boost back into the intake pipe
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
I didnt think the hole should be there, but looked to be drilled not worn. Ill try and cover it up.

Major issues :-(

Ive just looked at my mates caddy.
Seems the problem i have is the remote on the car is wrong.
As i go forward with the gear stick the rod goes forward.
On his when going forward with the gear stick his rod goes back.
Looks like i need a big block remote :-(

Spent all day trying to figure it out, hopefully a they are easy to swap and i can find one.

Back to the top
Got a few parts to hopefully get this stupid thing running.
Got a starter motor.
New stainless steel downpipe.
Big block gearbox remote - thanks funk-star.
Boost pipes.

Decided im going to run a gti radiator so ive got a expantion tank etc as my 1.1 had a top fill. But im not worried about cooling atthe min.

Back to the top
Managed to get the big block gearbox remote in the car and sort out the gear selection problems. Also the down pipe i bought is too long and when the car is slammed will be on the floor, that needs cutting and making about 2" shorter.
Fitted the radiator and all the pipework except a header tank as i need to weld on a bracket for that to sit on. Using my 'box of sh!t' i managed to get it all together haha.
The cars turning over and firing, but not running yet. Im thinking as its a brand new engine it will need to be bump started as there isnt enough spin from the starter motor. But i cant do that because i have no brakes.

Also got the FMIC fitted and sat very well, im very happy how well hit sits.
A few pictures to prove ive been out in the cold. Not far of now :-)

:-)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.