Skip navigation

Phils Mk1 Golf GTD Build

Back to the top

Slow and steady wins the race

I hadn't really been looking for a mk1, but this one came up and had a lot of interest. So i had to get it.
The spec of the car is a Golf C, which is a 1.1 4 speed. I have many plans, so when the wether becomes worse than it already is, i'll be taking it off the road and spruce it up. As a starting point it's exactly what i wanted, no real rust issues and T&T. Paint wise i will keep it white, just freshen it up as it's origional paint and smooth a few bits and bobs etc.. keep it origional. Engine wise.. not entirely sure.

a

My plan was to build a garage to put a project in, but looks like im going to have to build one around the project.  :twisted:

Back to the top
A few more pictures:

Back to the top

Gave them a good wet vac and set to dry.

Back to the top
Started rebuilding the engine the other day, could only get so much done due to lack of gaskets.
There now ordered and i've finally sorted out the retaining clips for the gudgeon pins too.
I've been lucky and basically everything is new, only the turbo and rocker cover is secondhand.

Hopefully more to come this weekend on the rebuild.

I've also removed the banded steels and put some winter wheels on.

Also have another issue to sort out along the way:

Hopefully someone will be interested in the build :lol:

Back to the top
Smart looking car there mate, definitely a good base to start with, so what engine did you choose to use in the end then, 1.8T?

Back to the top
Na mate, the 1.6 GTD from the mk2.
80bhp standard, i plan on running a front mount intercooler. I've done the guvnor mod so it will rev to about 6000rpm and also played with the fuel pump.
Hoping for around 110bhp once rebuilt and set up.

:cool:

Back to the top
Looks nice mate. What happened to the front end?

Fave pic is the one of the seats resting and drying by the fire  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Yer that pic was for instagram haha

The front brakes seized on the way back from gti festival, so i removed then waiting on a set of gti brakes i bought of here (still havent arrived). the MOT/Tax was running out so thought i would move it to the garage. We used a solid bar, and it came off and i crashed into the tow car. I still have no idea how the hell it came off.
 :|

Back to the top
Nice one mister! Im sure ive seen this somewhere before? You In Scunthorpe, Lincs? 

Volkswagen Golf LS (1981 X)   Austin Morris Mini HL (1981 X)  Honda Civic Type S CTDi (2009 59)   Mercedes-Benz 208D F & D Motorhome (1990 G)  Audi A2 SE (2001 X) Banner

Back to the top

Gordonthegolfer said

Nice one mister! Im sure ive seen this somewhere before? You In Scunthorpe, Lincs? 

Yes mate i'm from sunny scunny.
You too?

Back to the top
Cool, are you going to rolling road test it once its all back together then?

Your lucky you didn't do any more damage than you did when it came off the bar! Good luck with it mate! :thumbs:

Back to the top

Pipsical said

Gordonthegolfer said

You too?

Ahhhh thought so!! Not far matey, Lincoln. Got a couple of mates over in Sunny Scunny so over that way now and again.  :thumbs:
Chris

Volkswagen Golf LS (1981 X)   Austin Morris Mini HL (1981 X)  Honda Civic Type S CTDi (2009 59)   Mercedes-Benz 208D F & D Motorhome (1990 G)  Audi A2 SE (2001 X) Banner

Back to the top
Yer i'll be getting a rolling road done, be interesting to see.

Back to the top

Gordonthegolfer said

Pipsical said

Gordonthegolfer said

You too?
Ahhhh thought so!! Not far matey, Lincoln. Got a couple of mates over in Sunny Scunny so over that way now and again.  :thumbs:
Chris

Ah cool, you seen me out n about then?
I used to run the lincoln vw meets at the pride of lincoln.
(used to own a silver polo 9n, red fabia vrs, mk5 r32)

Back to the top
Oh right! I know where you mean. Does that still take place?

Back to the top
I think so but i never go haha.

Back to the top

Pipsical said

smudger1980 said

Yer that pic was for instagram haha

The front brakes seized on the way back from gti festival, so i removed then waiting on a set of gti brakes i bought of here (still havent arrived). the MOT/Tax was running out so thought i would move it to the garage. We used a solid bar, and it came off and i crashed into the tow car. I still have no idea how the hell it came off.
 :|

:o  :S  pants luck mate. What's it going to cost to put right?

Back to the top
A hammer and some wood?  :lol:
Just going to straighten it if i can, hopefuly doesnt crack the paint.

Back to the top
Finally all my parts have arrived.

Back to the top
Nice Golf pipsical.
I recognise Car clinic in the background of one of the images  :lol:
I used to go over there to work now and again.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.