Skip navigation

1.3 standard airbox weber carb

Back to the top

1.3 standard airbox weber carb

Hi,
I would like to get the standard airbox on my golf because of potential carb icing. Anyone got a pic of what it looks like, and does it mount straight up to a weber on a 1.3?
Cheers
Rob

Back to the top
Thanks to some snapshots by Spilz  :lol:

Usually Plastic with two fixing holes at the front. The later Polo ones look similar and are usually metal, but im unsure of the fitment as they usually fit onto SPi units

Ive got the Weber 34-ICH carb on mine and the standard air box fits straight on top. Be carefull of the Choke assembly on the back though, it tends to foul the bottom of the air box and play the choke mechanism up. Ive overcome this by bending down the choke cable bracket and shaving some of the plastic off the bottom of the filter casing.

Works a treat!!  :lol:

PS- Sam hope you didnt mind me "Borrowing" your photo for this exercise  :D

Volkswagen Golf LS (1981 X)   Austin Morris Mini HL (1981 X)  Honda Civic Type S CTDi (2009 59)   Mercedes-Benz 208D F & D Motorhome (1990 G)  Audi A2 SE (2001 X) Banner

Back to the top
Although the airbox in the pic above may help a little, the main reason for retaining the airbox is missing!

You need the warm air hose from a tin plate bolted to the exhaust fanimold (missing in pic above) to the lower connector of the air filter inlet pipe thingy.

X will be along shortly to show you how he did his.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Thanks for the help guys!

Back to the top
You need a heat shield, otherwise there's nothing for the warm air feed to attach to.

This is what they look like:

I've got a 4-2-1 manifold, so my bolts are custom made - but you will see on your manifold there are 3 bolts in a v shape that attach the heat shield.

If you can't find one you can always make one - when I got mine there was a bit of steel plate with a hole cut in it - proper DIY job! But it worked.

I suppose you could try and fix the warm air feed pipe to the manifold, but I don't know how you'd be able to do that.

Ps, chances are those nuts will be siezed on the manifold, get some wd40 or a bloody big heat gun to loosen them off.

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Oh, the air box doesn't fit straight on the weber carb, as the weber is oriented a different way -

The oil return breather pipe gets in the way:

So I sliced it off, sealed it up, and bodged a new joint in:

And there's a vacuum pipe that attaches from the diaphragm on the distributor, to this:

The orange bit, the hole next to it is the hole I drilled to fit the oil breather pipe.

Hope this helps

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Thanks, very helpful! found someone with one for sale, should get it soon.

Back to the top
Ok,  don't have the filter box yet,  but I am going to get some material to make up the little heat shield thing.
Could someone please tell me the i/d of the pipe that connects the air filter and the manifold shield (the silver one in the above pics)
Thanks!
Rob

Back to the top
40mm im pretty sure

'83 formel e

Back to the top
Thanks, can anyone confirm,  I am going to buy the pipe as well,  don't want to get it wrong!
Cheers

Back to the top
Thanks, can anyone confirm,  I am going to buy the pipe as well,  don't want to get it wrong!
Cheers

Back to the top
yeah got my pipe from gsf and it says its 40mm on there and it fits perfectly so i guess its 40mm

'83 formel e

Back to the top
Thanks!  Going to get some bits the next time I'm in town.
Oh and sorry for the double posts,  I am on my phone and it does wierd things…

Just found a hose on ebay. They do a 450mm length. Will this be long enough?!
Sorry just want to have all the kit together so I can get it all together and put it on in the holidays.
Cheers
Rob

Back to the top
450mm should be plenty Rob

Volkswagen Golf LS (1981 X)   Austin Morris Mini HL (1981 X)  Honda Civic Type S CTDi (2009 59)   Mercedes-Benz 208D F & D Motorhome (1990 G)  Audi A2 SE (2001 X) Banner

Back to the top
Cheers, Going to order it up now.
Better fit, or i'll be on yer back!! ;)
Rob

Back to the top

r_chez_08 said

Cheers, Going to order it up now.
Better fit, or i'll be on yer back!! ;)
Rob

LOL, i only commited to the length of the pipe, if the diameters wrong ure on ure own  :wink:

Chris

Back to the top
450mm will be a stretch - I haven't measured mine, but once you've bent it square and neat like mine you won't have much to play with.

If it's the same as mine it goes brittle fairly quickly as well - I'm on my second, and this one has just split. Standard the car comes with something similar, but more robust, a sort of fibre material. Impossible to get hold of (I've tried). Couple of jubilee clips and Bob's yer uncle!

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Ok,  hopefully if will be okay.
I do not plan on running the stock airbox most of the time,  just in the winter,   so it doesn't have to look perfect.

Back to the top
Length and diameter were perfect thanks!  

My real crude heat shield! Should do the job.
Would it be okay just to plug up the breather joint in the box and put a little filter on the end of the breather pipe?  Mine seems to fowl the throttle linkage if the hose is plugged in, makes it jam. Not good!

Oh and where exactly does the pipe coming from the orange piece go to,  and where does the pipe from the hot air feed butterfly go to?
Many thanks and happy Christmas,
Rob

Back to the top
Hey Rob
You don't wanna be plugging up the breather pipe in any circumstance. The crankcase needs somewhere to vent at all times. You may need to cut the spigot off where the breather attaches to, then fill the hole. Then re-make another hole and retrofit a pipe fitting to attach the breather too, mines got a little 90 Degree elbow fitted to it.

Chris

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.