Skip navigation

Not Starting when hot

Back to the top

Not Starting when hot

iirc fuel wont come out if you unscrew the valve, but to be on the safe side be sure to have the replacement to hand so you can swap it over quick-smart ;)

catch the drained fuel and store it in a sealed container, its great for cleaning parts!

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

Is the valve the 'check valve for fuel pump' at the top centre in the diagram?? 

Back to the top
yes, basically take the fuel lines off the pump, then you'll see the non-return valve is on the ouput side. it has spanner flats so undo it and swap.

as i say, you may find if the end nut for the fuel line is siezed that the non-return valve comes undone when you try to remove the fuel line. in this case you can just remove the wires and end pipe from the pump and spin it round till the valve is out, then get a socket on the back of the valve to hold it while you free off the end nut

Back to the top
Thanks. You make it sound so easy!!! 

I think I'll have to take a trip the A5OPY's man cave to investigate!!  :o

Back to the top
Hi,  I have the same problem.  I will test the sensors 1st,  but if not will try and change the non return valve,  but I can't see anywhere that sells them? Thanks

Back to the top
Right Since Euro Car finally delivered my Fuel pump. Today I removed the old one and replaced with a Bosch fuel pump and the problem has been fixed the car starts got it up to temp and turned off, left and then restarted no issues.

It was a bit of pig fitting taking the cage off and refitting

The bosch pump come with the non return valve

GTI Campaign Helios Blue, Going back Standard
GTI Campaign Schwartz Black shouldn't have sold
GTI Mk7 Performance pack Daily drive
Polo 1.4sel Sunset Orange The Wife's
Triumph Tiger

Back to the top
sorted :)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

sorted :)

Cheers Rubjonny as always your there to help cheers

GTI Campaign Helios Blue, Going back Standard
GTI Campaign Schwartz Black shouldn't have sold
GTI Mk7 Performance pack Daily drive
Polo 1.4sel Sunset Orange The Wife's
Triumph Tiger

Back to the top
Good news it's sorted Jon. You're right about getting the cage off being a bit of a pig :lol:

Back to the top
I have this problem when through town its gets hot,then stutters then dies.I have to leave for a while before restarting.

Seen rubjonny's post about the valve and accumulator (which I will be changing). Just to confirm if there is a lifespan for the fuel pump (worth changing at the same time ?)

Plus I can smell fuel when the exterior temp is hot like last sunday

Thanks

Last edit: by campaignjerry

Back to the top
My fuel pump lasted 240,000 miles till it gave up, heard of others failing after 100,000 miles so don't think there is a life span its down to luck and keeping the inside of your tank and lift pump filter clean so less dirt going through the pump.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.