Skip navigation

6x15 P Slots

Back to the top

6x15 P Slots

Hi guys.
I'm hoping that as years of gone by since getting my 6x15 P Slots, someone may have joined the forum that knows more about them? They are made by Chromadora, an Italian company I think. I remember reading somewhere that only 7 sets got made before production was halted by Pirelli lawyers and they were supposed to be destroyed. They have 8 P's around the wheel and metal centre caps. What sort of price would these be valued at now? If only 7 sets sets were made, how many registered on the Mk1oc forum own a set of them?

Back to the top
There's two sides to this, I think.

One side of me says they're unbelievably valuable 'cos of their rarity, but the other says they're worthless because of the copyright infringement.

The metal caps will be worth a lot if they were genuine - but the value is dented because they're copies - like all of the knock-off BBS wheels you see around nowadays.

I couldn't put a monetary value on them, I don't know enough about them - but IMO they aren't priceless relics :dontknow:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
I have a mate with 2 sets of 15's I've never heard of 7 sets ever being made !

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
I've seen way more than 7 sets!

Back to the top
from what i remember there are two different designs to the 15" ones one with 8 P's and one with 9 P's (like the 14" version) think the 8s are rarer but pretty sure there are more than 7 sets. did find a great thread once,about the 15" ones but cant remember which forum.

value wise, for once i think you can genuinely call them rare, but only worth what someone will pay, best bet would be wheel whores.com  and ask on there

Back to the top
I'm sure I have seen a period pirelli advert showing 15" wheels….

Back to the top
seen loads of these in my time.i think you will find there was seven tooling sets but, lots were made world wide but lots were sold relatively cheap as no one wanted them

Back to the top
I know the 5.5x15's were made in quite some numbers and possibly offered through dealers in Canada as an option. I'm sure the 5.5x15's had 9 P's. These are definetly 6x15 which I've only known a handful of people to say they have in their posession, but never seen pics of.

Back to the top
Took a bit of finding, but I knew I bookmarked this guys site.

It's in German but if you're nifty with translate.google you'll get the gist of it.

The Pirelli advertising literature mentioned above and more can be downloaded…  Linky

Back to the top
my 15 x 5.5j p slots have 9 p's. Never see many of them knocking about for sale. And i dodnt think i've seen a set of 15 x 6j's for sale. But i've never really looked that hard.

Back to the top
No, I've never seen 6x15's for sale either and I always have a look every now and again. I'm sure the Mk2 14" Pirelli P's and the 5.5x15 Pirelli P's have 9 P's and the Mk1 14" Pirelli P's and these Chromadora 6x15 Pirelli P's have 8 P's.

Back to the top
The key difference here is your's have 8 Ps, when most 15s (and most P Slots) have 9.

I'm not aware of any copyright infringement, I heard that both Ronal & Chromadorra produced this design for Pirelli at various times.

Here are some things I'm pretty sure are true:

Campaign & Pirelli edition Mk1s came with 14" Ps, with the 9 larger Ps ie: the gap between the Ps was smaller than the Mk2 - Hub caps are plastic with raised black Pirelli Logos - inside the Ps should be painted black
Many Mk2 GTIs came with 14" Ps - the most common type, with a smaller P and a larger gap. Still 9 of them. - Hub caps are plastic with no logo. - inside the Ps should be black

Aftermarket Ps came in 15" & 14" with 9 Ps, in fitments for various cars, I've seen examples for FIAT, BMW & Saab.  Also there was a Pirelli Edition Honda Prelude featuring 15"s. All the Ps are black inside.

Aftermarket Ps with 8 Ps:  (now it gets interesting)
There are just a lot less of these around.
For a time before the Campaign Mk1 existed you could get 8 P aftermarket Ps in 14". I'm not sure if there were 15s too at this time.
These Ps have the Pirelli logo prominently inside one of the Ps
In most of the examples I've seen the Ps are not painted black inside. (apparently painting them black inside was an evolution to hide brake dust and make the Ps more prominent)
These 8 Ps should have alloy centre caps with an embossed (sunken) black Pirelli logo, the opposite of the Campaigns raised logo.
These 8Ps where available for quite a long time, but they can't have sold in big numbers.

Back to the top
How much do you want for them? Would be nice wrapped in some 165s on a low mk1,

Richard,

Back to the top

RICH234GHA said

How much do you want for them? Would be nice wrapped in some 165s on a low mk1,

Richard,
 :o That is clearly a matter of opinion.  O_oIMO nothing looks good with 165s

If they were for sale, I'd be keen to buy them and put proper tyres on. :cool:

Last edit: by sifty

Back to the top
Yes they have the metal centre caps with the sunken Pirelli logo. There is the Pirelli logo in one of the P's also, but my P's are painted black inside when they had a full refurb. They have almost new Pirelli P7 tyres, but I can't remember what size. The wheels are mint. I will be listing them for sale within the next few weeks, but I want to get out in the garage when the weather is better to get the full specs and get some more photos. It was mainly to be gain values and to find out more info really.

Back to the top
It was only the early sets that did not have the Ps painted black, I think on the later sets it wasn't uncommon to have it either way, black or silver.   But All the VW OEM ones are black in the Ps.

Back to the top
bigvrg just out of interest where in the uk are you from please?

Thanks

Back to the top
I'm in Dover, Kent.

Back to the top
ok, well if you could pm me a rough price in the next week that would be good, Im in France but will be in the UK in 10 days,

Richard.

Back to the top
Will do Richard. I've not been bothered to get out to the garage to get the full specs due to the bloody snow :ocf_emoticons__BangHead: I really don't want to let them go, but it's the warm up to selling my Mk1 :'(

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.