Skip navigation

Piers' 1983 Driver - 20v conversion project

Back to the top

Piers' 1983 Driver - 20v conversion project

Small update… picked some keys up yesterday… the original plan of the garage 5 miles away didnt go ahead… my choice as i found one closer to home and a little cheaper. This one is exactly 1.5 miles in the car. much quicker on the bike as there are direct foot paths to it. not the biggest garage in the world but its better than nothing. The car is going down tomorrow morning. im then going to arrange picking up the wheels iv chosen and a box of goodies of a good friend of mine ;) time to get the ball rolling!

anyone fancy some weekends spannering or offering a bit of help its greatly appreciated! :D

Back to the top
Nice work mate. Keep her all tucked up in all this cold weather :)

Back to the top
its more to actually get the job done mate lol

Back to the top

Piers said

You're brave doing it in this weather  O_o

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Piers said

You're brave doing it in this weather  O_o

lol :) im sure i will hate it but im not rushing so its going to be more steady progress rather than rushing through to get it done in the cold. Im going to get the engine out, take the doors off and interior out. Take the bumpers and lights off and generally take it to bits ready to build it back up again :) im going to try and refurb a lot of the parts myself rather than buying new ones.

going to do all new wiring for the lights whilst im at it as iv seen a few bits i dont like and the lights dont all work correctly.

going to take it down tomorrow morning or tonight… will see how i feel after work

Back to the top
Today has been very productive. Only had a few hours on the car but it was a good few hours. 

Basically took the seats out, carpet, rear door cards, few metal brackets and plastics. Took out the rear lights, numberplates off, front bumper off and front grill off. 
Doesn't sound much but that's most of the car! Nothing to them! 

Really pleased to find no holes or rot under the carpets of areas that were hidden. 

Everything out except the dash

Rear stripped down

Found one, yes just one bit of welding that's been done. 

Clutch pedal has been welded at some point. Floor is very dirty so ignore that but no holes :)

Passengers side is just as good but some scary looking wiring. I won't even show you how the rear lights were wired! Lets just say its having it all done from scratch! 

Started on the front end. 

Bumper off 

Tried the new carpet, black makes such a difference. Needs a clean and the car cleaning before it stays in. 

And finally tucked away before it drops dark. 

Engine out next I think. 

Back to the top
Had another hour on the car tonight. Bonnet off. Lights out and wing partly removed. It wasnt a very productive hour. Mainly because I couldn't get the door off. I was going to take the wings off but can't be bothered now. So Saturdays task is to begin removing the engine. Make way for the 20v and get the engine mounts ordered. 

Bonnet off 

Lights out. 

Waiting patiently for its heart transplant. 

Back to the top
Good progress mate. Next the real fun begins.

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Good progress mate. Next the real fun begins.

Thanks mate :) yeah im quite surprised how quickly iv got bits off it. None of the bolts were stuck in place which was a huge relief. Also im really happy iv found no rot or panels that need replacing!
i had horrible thoughts that i was going to be banging my head against a brick wall   :P
its all so simple… hopefully getting the engine out will be the same and putting the other in! :)

Back to the top
Did a bit more today. Thanks Blaine for your help. 

Started stripping the engine down ready to pull it out. 

Radiator and fan out. Rad is brand new so keeping it for the 20v and the fan needs a good clean up. Going to paint most metal parts black before they go back in. 

Started pulling the wiring out. It's a bit "iffy" to say the least. Going to replace it all. 

Brakes look decent. Look familiar to anyone?

Coilovers need a good clean up too but they're FK so will be staying for now. 

Manifold off. All the mounts look decent. Only one to buy

And tucked back away again until next time. 

Hit a dead end now… Need to get the engine out but due to space I need to wait until the buyer can collect and do it all in one day. Need to order my engine mount so once the current engine is out I can get it ready for the 20v. Then drop that in and work out the wiring and other bits. 

Back to the top
same space garage i got. but did my on drive way in rain  :( . looking good have you got your mounts yet? hydroic clutch or cable ? i only ask as if going cable get the jusycaddy gearox mounts as they have the slit for a proper seat cable  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Hi mate. The car already has the hydraulic clutch conversion. Gearbox mount and rear mount are already changed. Just need the engine side mount and I'm done :) then wiring etc

Back to the top
Nice work mate. Coming along now. Why not invest in a little gazebo type thing. They can be bought for like £25 or less from B&Q and will give you a bit of rain protection :)

Back to the top

Piers said

Hi mate. The car already has the hydraulic clutch conversion. Gearbox mount and rear mount are already changed. Just need the engine side mount and I'm done :) then wiring etc

ahhh sorted then. i be doing the same hydro clutch . cable clutch to heavy for my liking

Back to the top
I'm not really too worried about rain mate. If its raining I will work inside the garage :) it's not at my house so makes it a bit more awkward :) but I'm getting there. Probably be a few weeks now until I get the engine out. The hydraulic clutch is brilliant. Makes such a difference to the feel of an old car

Back to the top
i did my whole converstion in the rain driveway built . i got a garage now all good.  take your time and enjoy it  :thumbs:any questions pm me :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Back to the top

peterg60 said

i did my whole converstion in the rain driveway built . i got a garage now all good.  take your time and enjoy it  :thumbs:any questions pm me :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Thanks very much mate :) might be in touch if I get stuck with anything. 

Back to the top
MK1 Love  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Back to the top
Got these today (cheers Adam)

New set of door handles

Back to the top
Looking good buddy  :cool:  :cool:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.