Skip navigation

Piers' 1983 Driver - 20v conversion project

Back to the top

Piers' 1983 Driver - 20v conversion project

Nice project, what paint code is that?

Good to have another one local, mine lives in Coxbench! Hopefully have mine back on the road in a year…

Never done that conversion but if you ever require an extra pair of hands give me a shout.

Back to the top

tomsdubs said

Good to have another one local, mine lives in Coxbench! Hopefully have mine back on the road in a year…

Never done that conversion but if you ever require an extra pair of hands give me a shout.

Honestly not sure on the colour code mate. The gold is original. The red is added. Not my thing really but I suppose it looked good to someone :)

Oh Mint. I'm just up the road from coxbench. I'm in openwoodgate :)
Yeah I will definately take up the offer on a spare set of hands. Do you rent a garage in coxbench? I'm looking for somewhere close to keep mine. I have a garage lined up but I don't know when it's going to be available.

Back to the top

Piers said

tomsdubs said

Honestly not sure on the colour code mate. The gold is original. The red is added. Not my thing really but I suppose it looked good to someone :)

Yeah I will definately take up the offer on a spare set of hands. Do you rent a garage in coxbench? I'm looking for somewhere close to keep mine. I have a garage lined up but I don't know when it's going to be available.

Mine just lives tucked away at my mum's house, has to stay outside! Mine is gold (sand metallic), actually quite a cool colour. So have they blown over it with another colour? I thought my eyes were playing up when i saw the interior shots  :)

Back to the top

tomsdubs said

Piers said

tomsdubs said

Mine just lives tucked away at my mum's house, has to stay outside! Mine is gold (sand metallic), actually quite a cool colour. So have they blown over it with another colour? I thought my eyes were playing up when i saw the interior shots  :)

Really not sure what they have done mate. It could even be a different gold. The interior has seen better days. My plans are to buy all new materials, roof liner, carpet etc off VW heritage. Unless there is somewhere cheaper?
I don't want to leave mine outside but unfortunately don't have a choice at the moment.

Back to the top

Piers said

tomsdubs said

Piers said

tomsdubs said

Really not sure what they have done mate. It could even be a different gold. The interior has seen better days. My plans are to buy all new materials, roof liner, carpet etc off VW heritage. Unless there is somewhere cheaper?
I don't want to leave mine outside but unfortunately don't have a choice at the moment.

I have a cover for mine but i found it just made it worse, gets moldy and nasty. I bought bits from the classifieds here and some good bargains and experiences, find sites like VW Heritage painfully expensive.

Back to the top

tomsdubs said

Piers said

tomsdubs said

Piers said

tomsdubs said

I have a cover for mine but i found it just made it worse, gets moldy and nasty. I bought bits from the classifieds here and some good bargains and experiences, find sites like VW Heritage painfully expensive.

Yeah i need to keep my eyes peeled for some good interior parts. I was looking at newton commercial and they basically sort your seats out for around 170 per seat. i didnt think that was too bad. I will get the interior carpet new from newton commercial but if i can source dash plastics and door cars second hand it would be much better. Id even buy a set of seats if they were in good condition and a good price :) need to be black tho

Back to the top
Spent an hour or so on the car today.

Determined one of the plugs was nackered so went and got 4 new ones. Turns out they weren't even the correct ones. Made a world of difference. Put £5 worth of fuel in it too and it ran nicely.

Still doesn't run perfect but hopefully that will clear with a good run out. Might see about putting it through an mot next week.

Back to the top
yesterday i managed to get hold of some trade plates so took the golf for a drive. Had a huge smile on my face i must admit!

slight downside… it still isnt running right  :banghead:

After looking at its behaviour iv decided its got to be an air intake issue. It runs amazingly until you apply some acceleration (air intake)… it sounds like its taking in too much air. I looked at the air box and the previous owner has cut a lovely big hole in the bottom of it… im wondering if putting a new bottom air box in it will help solve the problem…. has anyone got one local they would like to donate/sell to me to try? Has anyone had a similar issue?

If that solves the problem i will send it for an mot and have some fun in it for 6 months or until i find a garage

Thanks Piers

Back to the top
The engine can't take too much in, lots of people drilled the air boxes to lessen any intake restriction. I'd check the simple things like the timing first.

Back to the top
tried the timing mate... didnt seem to make a difference. Its only under load when i need to build up speed. On the flat, touching the accelerator it was fine. Ran nicely. as soon as i got to a hill and needed to accelerate it didnt like it

Back to the top
Have you tried checking for air leaks?

That was the problem when mine wasn't running right. Does it just feel a bit lumpy?

Back to the top

sandi12 said

Have you tried checking for air leaks?

That was the problem when mine wasn't running right. Does it just feel a bit lumpy?

yeah iv had wd40 all over the air hoses and it doesnt seem to be taking any in. iv visually checked for splits and cracks in the pipes. Its got a metal intake so thats all ok.

there is a small screw adjustment on the top of the air intake onto the throttle body. I believe this is a mixture screw? iv played about with that but it doesnt seem to make any difference. Iv tried it all the way in, all the way out and many positions inbetween.

stuck for idea's now.

Back to the top
Screw at the back of the throttle body is for adjusting idle, not mixture, mixture screw is on the metering head.

Have you checked injectors? Thats where mine was leaking due to injectors being in and out without the seals being changed.

Back to the top

sandi12 said

Screw at the back of the throttle body is for adjusting idle, not mixture, mixture screw is on the metering head.

Have you checked injectors? Thats where mine was leaking due to injectors being in and out without the seals being changed.

sorry mate, i know what you mean now. I worded that wrong or confused myself lol. I know the one on the body adjusts the idle as i played with that on tickover to get it idling right.

the one for the mixure is hidden at the back of the metering unit. I tried adjusting that with an allen key but it didnt seem to make any difference. a friend of mine had an 8v and he mentioned that a leaking injector caused his problem. My uncle who is a bit more mechanically minded than me said it sounded like a sticking valve when we first got it running. That was the reason i took it for a drive out to see if it sorted itself. im not wanting to spend any money on the engine as im not keeping it so im a bit hesitant to strip anything too much

Back to the top
Just spray wd40 on top of injectors, if pitch of engine changes then thats a leak. Easy to change, pull them out (brute force mainly) then get some new injector seals, grease them up and put them back in. Literally a 30 minute job and made the world of difference for my car!

Back to the top
i will give that a go :) thanks mate.

Back to the top
Not much to tell this week… It fires up first time now which is a bonus but its still bogging out under load. Old chap who lives opposite where im keeping it at the moment has a spare fueling unit he said i can try. Going to give that a whirl and see what happens.

Finally sorted some storage out for it but just waiting for a date and a bit more info from a friend.

Got a cover over the car too after having to drain a load more water out of it.

Back to the top
quick update… got a few more parts on order.

Coil packs, ignition amplifier, wiring loom (for 20v), ECU, dump valve, breather filter, MAF sensor, N75 boost control valve, coolant sensor and pipes and hoses.

Need to sort out a mk1 loom (anyone got one? GTI if possible), engine mount for drivers side, intercooler, and a remap. I think that should see me running :)

Iv decided that im going to aim at getting the car running before i wory about paint. That can be done next winter

Back to the top
Still waiting for a garage in my local area :(finding it difficult! The car is basically covered up and has been for a few weeks now. Went to it saturday and it started up fine. The cover has prevented anymore water getting inside as i had a few issues with this so at least i know its safe for now.

As im changing most parts of the car i will eventually be selling the interior and looking for a black set. If anyone has any or wants to swap let me know

My interior does need some TLC especially on the drivers seat!

Back to the top
Still slow progress… however there could be a change on that shortly.

Went to view a garage last week and it looks ideal for what i need. A few terms and conditions i need to work around but i should be able to get by.

Waiting for more information to arrive from the guy whos sorting it but hopefull i can be in within the next few weeks. Gives me chance to finally get started on the car!

iv purchased a new carpet set for the car in black. Waiting for it to arrive as a friend collected it for me, i will give it a good clean up and have it ready to go in the car.

Iv also been offered some quite rare wheels that need a refurb… iv said i will have them but im trying a mint set on the car in the next few weeks to confirm they look ok.

I also have a box of 20v goodies sat at a friends house after he broke a mk4. it includes ECU, wiring loom, sensors, hoses, dump valve and many more parts. It should get me most of the way through the conversion.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.