Skip navigation

Small project log from Cornwall- Golf C

Back to the top

Small project log from Cornwall- Golf C

Good work mate. :)

Back to the top
Haven't updated for a while…
A friend about a mile from me had an x vw mechanic staying and so I took the car to him, as it was slowly running worse and worse,  and for some reason it refused to run at all right with the vacuum advance on the dizzy. He reckoned it was timing, then had to go home to Devon and left. She then wouldn't start. Turns out I had lost all spark…

Next day I had a look,  and the starter was acting up. Sounded like it was a dead battery on and off?!  Started once! Then died when the revs dropped off. Walked round to the bonnet and on the right hand side there was smoke. Oh 5h1t…

I had burned out the ballast wire to the coil, which also damaged a few other wires in the loom. Fixed my loom (thanks X and rubjonny) , installed an in line fuse and an in line ballast resistor and tried starting her up. The fuse blew.  Higher rating fuse-still blew. Wth!

Disconnected my ignitor 2 electronic ignition, tried new fuse, and it didn't blow. Obviously didn't start either!
So I removed the ignitor, and what did I find? A nice chaffed wire that was sitting over the rotor arm axle. Cheers, which ever owner did that. Nice thinking ;)So obviously the spark was too weak due to the shorting and was only just enough at higher rpm. Then the starter issue must have been due to the large current draw through the short.

Fixed the chaffed bit with some heat shrink. Tried again, still nothing.
Turns out I had my fuel solenoid wired up wrong when I redid the loom.

Tried again, and she started up,  and ran like a champ! Just need to tune the carb, possibly richen a little as if you under load with the choke the full way in, the car 'stutters'.

I have ordered some non insulated terminals and some adhesive heat shrink. Going to redo any suspect connectors. Also plan on wiring in the horn and the fag lighter/clock through the fuse box. Atm they have in line fuses.

Modified the rear parcel shelf mounts for some 13cm infinity reference speakers that my brother got me for crimbo :)also I ordered some 10cm infinity reference speakers for the front and I have turned up the first foot well mount from beach. It is going to be cut down by about 3/4", and one side flattened so it fits nicely and hopefully doesn't mess with the accelerator pedal.

Plan on bidding on a blaupunkt radio at the weekend. If I win it, the plans are to rip out the 4w or so old mono amp in it and install a 45w rms stereo amp.

Also got some seat covers and nice blue mats for Xmas.

In a few days I can apply for my provisional! Then 3 months and I am on the road! Watch out!

Also, installed the oil pressure sensor and put a y connector on for the other 2 sensors, presumably for the oil pressure light, why it needs two I dont know!
B4:

After:

More updates to come!
Cheers
Rob

Last edit: by r_chez_08

Back to the top
Coming together nicley mate  :thumbs:
Theres 2 oil sensors on some units, 2 different ratings, i think ones around 1.5BAR and the others 0.8BAR or there abouts. Mines only got the 1 for some reason.
Chris

Volkswagen Golf LS (1981 X)   Austin Morris Mini HL (1981 X)  Honda Civic Type S CTDi (2009 59)   Mercedes-Benz 208D F & D Motorhome (1990 G)  Audi A2 SE (2001 X) Banner

Back to the top
Ok thanks, is your block only tapped for one sensor then? 

Really tempted to take the engine out, respray and reinstall, but I know this would take me too long! 

Back to the top

r_chez_08 said

Ok thanks, is your block only tapped for one sensor then? 

Really tempted to take the engine out, respray and reinstall, but I know this would take me too long! 

Yea, mines only got the one closer to the distributor, Everyone elses seem to have 2 except mine  :'(  lol

Volkswagen Golf LS (1981 X)   Austin Morris Mini HL (1981 X)  Honda Civic Type S CTDi (2009 59)   Mercedes-Benz 208D F & D Motorhome (1990 G)  Audi A2 SE (2001 X) Banner

Back to the top
Odd! Look on the bright side, it's less clutter in your bay! 

Back to the top
Hi mate if your 16 you can apply for your provisional as i have mine already and i am only 16.

Mk1 golf GTI 1.8 - bargain buy
Suzuki Samurai - 4WD 1.7 TD Conversion - Off roader

Back to the top
Really? Everyone told me it was up to 3 months before you are 17 and that's what I saw online. 

Back to the top

r_chez_08 said

Really? Everyone told me it was up to 3 months before you are 17 and that's what I saw online. 

no i applied for mine when i turned 16 so that i had ID, and where it has what you can drive on the back next to the car it says valid from 16-08-13, which is when i turn 17.
Its because yo can ride a bike at 16 and so that you can do your theory test which can also be done at 16.

Mk1 golf GTI 1.8 - bargain buy
Suzuki Samurai - 4WD 1.7 TD Conversion - Off roader

Back to the top
Ok,  that's odd cos I checked again and it said 3 months. I know what I'm doing tonight then! 

Back to the top
Got some parcels in the post today :)  loom wires in the correct colours and a load of insulated connectors and oem style plastic covers/heat shrink. 
Oh and also a nice little powder fire extinguisher. For 7 quid, it is definitely worth it if it may save my car,  should the worst happen! 

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.