Skip navigation

Small project log from Cornwall- Golf C

Back to the top

Small project log from Cornwall- Golf C

Nice one mate, I'm liking the wooden trim theme you've got going, pretty fresh! I got a 1.3 for my first car as well. Still got it and I still love her. Definitely a good point made about the airfilter, it made life a lot easier when I swapped the K&N one for the standard one. I found it nails to source a pipe that fitted from the hot air take of from the manifold to the airfilter though. Have fun with the wee beasty!

Back to the top
Cheers mate, is there any way to connect the hot air feed to the k&n?

Back to the top
Thinking about under the bonnet…
The exhaust manifold is a little rusty. Not visually pleasing. Could I get some matt silver VHT 'fireproof' paint and paint it up?

Also, plan to tidy the wiring and degrease the engine, as well as paint up things like the rad mount, rocker cover, cambelt cover.

Back to the top

r_chez_08 said

Cheers mate, is there any way to connect the hot air feed to the k&n?

Umm I wouldn't have thought so, or at least you'd be a cleverer person than me if you managed! The standard airfilter has a tube shaped bit where the cold air gets in with the hot air pipe connected on the side, theres a butterfly valve thing inside that determines whether its hot or cold air going in. Not a very clear description I know but its easy to work out when you get eyes on.

Back to the top
Thanks. Where does the hot air come from?
Probably hardly worth the effore for the .1hp more power! But the k&n filter looks far nicer IMO.

Back to the top
the hot air comes from the exhaust manifold:

That's mine, you can see the silver pipe going from the heatshield to the trumpet on the standard airbox.

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Thanks. So it supplies warm air when the engine has warmed up only then.
May be able to rig something up.
How does this help?

Back to the top
The warm air feed feeds air when a butterfly valve in the trumpet activates, when the ambient temperature is below a certain amount.

Not having this is a problem in winter, because when the car is moving, ice builds up in the carburettor thanks to the vacuum in the carb, which blocks the jets, and eventually stops fuel delivery to the engine. The warm air is usually enough to stop it.

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Quick question X, where did you get your pipe from? I tried one from halfords as it was the only one I could find which was the right size but I wasn't sure it would insulate enough seeing as it was thin aluminium. And then a few weeks later, maybe more, I opened the bonnet and it had already split and detatched itself from the airfilter end. Waste of money. I ended up getting another one from halfords and wrapping it in exhaust heat wrap stuff. Is there a better way?

Back to the top

blue-BUF said

Quick question X, where did you get your pipe from? I tried one from halfords as it was the only one I could find which was the right size but I wasn't sure it would insulate enough seeing as it was thin aluminium. And then a few weeks later, maybe more, I opened the bonnet and it had already split and detatched itself from the airfilter end. Waste of money. I ended up getting another one from halfords and wrapping it in exhaust heat wrap stuff. Is there a better way?
got mine from gsf, could probably find one cheaper somewhere but fits well and feels pretty strong too

Intake Pipe for Air Filter

'83 formel e

Back to the top
hey buddy
like this:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
Yah, something like that would be cool! How did you do it?
A mate from college says he has an old blaupunkt radio sitting in an old tractor or something- hes going to get some pics.

I will probably get a stock airbox at some stage, but she wont be driven much this winter anyway. Need to put up a garage!

I could probably make a system similar to the stock airbox, but it would end up looking terrible!

I need to remove the old studs on the exhaust manifold where the heat shield mounts to. They are nackered.
Need some money for paint haha. Owe my mum 50 quid so far due to this car…

Edit: found this: http://www.completeaudio.8m.com/speaker_podshome.htm
May give it a go. Just want to make them removable if need be.

Back to the top
I didn't make those ones but i'm going to have a go at making my own..

i'll let you know the process and how it gets on :)

Back to the top
Ok cheers.
Got bored at college today.. Made some wiper handles.

Back to the top

blue-BUF said

Mines from Halfords, I don't think it has to insulate at all well, it'll just end up really hot - don't touch it!

The one from Halfords is a stretch to fit, and quite brittle, I'm due a replacement after many heat cycles and bending eventually split mine, and once they're split, they're as good as useless.

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Ok, finished fixing the drivers seat today. Didnt come out too bad, considering this was my first upholstery job

Debating what to do with the front speakers still. Like the idea of the kick pod but i can see this getting in the way on the drivers side.

Back to the top
good job on the seats.
that's what i was thinking about the kicks but not a massive fan of them being in the door cards

Back to the top
Thanks. Yeah, I would install speakers in my door cards if they were already cut, but since they are near perfect, I would like to leave them that way.
What size speaker do you think that you could get away with in the kick pods?

Back to the top
OK, internet has been down.
My dad took her for a drive (i am still 16… still :( )
He did not enjoy the drive… good job its not his car then!!!!
Complaing about the gearbox, pedal positions, ride height etc!

But I did agree with him on the ride height front- There was about 30mm from the lowest point to the road. Not practical for a daily! I got out the c spanner and raised her up about 17 turns on the fronts, and about 10 turns on the rears. Bit better!
I plan to take her up to 20 turns on both. May not look as nice, but the ride will be smoother, and the car (and road) are less likely to get damaged.

Another thing is she seemed to miss a little when running at a steady speed. I am going to get a standard airbox and try again. It was only a few degrees out.

Made a wooden/aluminium gear knob. I really like it. I need to stop faffing with un neccesary crap! Over christmas when I have a little more time and money I am going to respray the wings, rocker cover, radiator cowl and cambelt cover. I am going to do them in the original marine blue colour.
Also going to do the exhaust in VHT silver.

Went to halfords today. Their speaker selection was poor! But I think I can modify the parcel shelf supports to fit a 13cm speaker to replace the naff 6x4 standard size.

I think I will put 13cm speakers in the front too. Both amped and with tweeters. Probably coaxial, components dont seem to be worth the extra cost.

In the boot around the arches there are a few dings and chips. I feel above the arches is pretty much wasted boot space, so I might do something like this

To house a 12" sub and amp.
I think this looks way better than the standard. May also see if I can carpet the base too. Still need to access the spare wheel well and the washer water though. May decide to do away with the standard parcel shelf supports all together, but this will probably prove to be more difficult.

Back to the top
Boot looks nice :)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.