Skip navigation

Cleaning interior fabrics

Back to the top

Cleaning interior fabrics

We finally got some decent weather over the weekend so I made a start on cleaning the seats on my Mk1 Cab.

I mixed up some sugar soap and jif / cif for the vinyl, which has made it look new again, but I don't know what to do about cleaning the fabric. It's a white interior and the front seats are freakin filthy. Has anyone tried:

1. Hiring a household carpet cleaner, like a rug doctor. They get house carpets really clean, but I don't know how much water they leave behind and don't want to water-log the seat bases.
2. Those upholstery sprays that claim to lift the dirt away from the fabric.
3. Removing the seat covers and machine-washing them. Delicate wash.

Any thoughts? The rest of the car's cleaned up really well, so I'm hoping I'm not let down by the fabric.

White 1989 Golf GTi Cabriolet - sold!

Back to the top
rent a wet vac for the day buddy, mix up some cleaning solution, on white seats you might get away with using some watered down TFR solution. Then use a scrubbing brush and then suck the wet out using the wet vac, you might have to do them a few times, and then leave car running with heater of put heater in to help them dry out, but back in my valeting days a good wet vac a few times gets most dirt out

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Like a rug doctor? Awesome, I'll do that. Bit scared of TFR, so will probably use interior shampoo.

The seats aren't in the car at the moment so drying shouldn't be a problem.

Back to the top
Thanks for the advice. The seats came up an absolute treat. Had to go over them quite a few times, as the water coming off them was dark brown at first …

Very pleased with the results though :)

Back to the top
its madness the colour of the water that comes out of the seats, car carpets are even worse!

Top work though

they look great !

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
I only had the cleaner for 4 hours, but it would have been interesting to go over everything again and see how much dirt is still there. Ah well, maybe next year ...

Back to the top
I did this on mine today, borrowed one.
Works pretty well, removed any obvious marks.
Just used the vax brand carpet cleaner.

Back to the top
More of a big job, but folks have taken the covers off and put them in the washing machine.

Anyone ever applied the stain guard afterwards???
Supposed to keep the seats cleaner for longer.

Cheers

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
When I replaced the carpets and washed my seats I used scotch guard to protect the carpet and seats. It repels liquids and I guess repels some stains. Water just balls on it - well small water droplets anyway. It didn't change the colour or feel of the fabrics.

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Ohhhhh that is the interior mine had when i bought it,love it!

Back to the top

chortle said

Anyone ever applied the stain guard afterwards???
Supposed to keep the seats cleaner for longer.

Cheers

used it years ago on some Maestro seats (dont ask) and it work great.  was a rattle can type spray and i just sprayed it all over the seats.  liquids just run off.

but clean your seats before hand as it seals in the dirt…. :(

1977 Leyland Clubman
2012 BMW 3 Series Sport. 

Back to the top
WaxyClean uk car care supplier.

We have new products added to our sites.

Web : www.WaxyClean.co.uk Web : www.SimplyMicrofibre.co.uk Tel : 0203596063
email : Sales waxyclean .co.uk

Back to the top
I would reccomend Scotch guard when they are dry too helps to stop any stains.

Back to the top
Good thread.   :thumbs:
I've got a vax machine that I borrowed from work, it worked a treat on my light grey interior just two weeks ago, again making best of the good weather.  I had previously stripped the seats on my last Mk1 GTI and put in the washing machine, this is definitely the best way to get a pristine clean, but I'll be treating with Scotch Guard following the next vax clean.
cheers

Back to the top
Gtechniq is a great product to use.

GTECHNIQ SMART FABRIC.

http://www.waxyclean.co.uk/gtechniq-i1-smart-fabric.html

Back to the top
sonus leather car bundle another great product for car seats. we sell a lot of this brands get great feeback

http://www.waxyclean.co.uk/sonus-leather-care-bundle.html

Back to the top
If you ever want to sell that white interior for a ton of cash then please let me know :)

Back to the top
Looks mint il be doing this :thumbs:
Think me mums got a vax :lol:

Back to the top
Thread resurrection!

I'm going to have a bash at this but interested in stripping the fabric off and bung it in the washing machine.

Though I had a look at the fabric is tied into the metal support bars with wire. Anybody else tackled this? Any advice welcome! They're s1 seats if that makes any difference.

Cheers.

1980 Series 1 GTI (gone now .. what a mistake selling her!)
1979 Series 1 LD - the Mandarin Dragon … gone as well. oh dear.

Back to the top
There's a how to remove seat fabric in the how to section of the forum that might help with the wires.

1985 Cabriolet GL
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.