Skip navigation

How long will you keep your mk1............

Back to the top

How long will you keep your mk1............

Had my GX 5 years.
71,000 genuine miles.
Engine stripped and rebuilt at 62,000.
Resprayed this year.

I intend to keep her for the next 15+ years unless circumstances change radically. Having said that, I might trade up for a S1 GTI at some point…I like projects, not finished cars! :wink:

'83 :) Golf 1.5 GX - weekender - in pics: 1983 Mk 1 Golf GX - a set on Flickr
'88 T25 camper 2.1 - in pics: Gina the van's renovation - a set on Flickr

Back to the top
I have had a few MK1's (all tintops)  Circumstances have forced me to sell the rest and I promised myself that if I bought another MK1 it would have to be a Mars red Series 1 GTI and I would be keeping it no matter what (within reason!).  
Anyways one came up and I bought it and im in the middle of getting it back on the road! - Im not selling this one

Back to the top

Lee_dub said

I have had a few MK1's (all tintops)  Circumstances have forced me to sell the rest and I promised myself that if I bought another MK1 it would have to be a Mars red Series 1 GTI and I would be keeping it no matter what (within reason!).  
Anyways one came up and I bought it and im in the middle of getting it back on the road! - Im not selling this one

8)  8)  8)

A mk1 is for life, not just for show season.

Back to the top
well said phataz1

B reg cab

Back to the top

Eddiebear said

well said phataz1

Exactly! - If you go on the ED38 mk1 section it's mostly mk1's lowered stupid amounts on some fancy reversed faced, zero lip wheel etc, But most of the cars basic maintenance are over looked :roll:

Plus run it for a season, get scene fame, then when it breaks down all the time sell it :lol:

But yeah, brought mine for £500 when I was 17, still have it now at 27 :D
Been through a few changes, quite a few problems and I crashed it a few months after finishing it..
Its now back to daily duites and I love it!

I would never get rid of it, and even if I was forced to, my parents have told me they wouldn't let it go :wink:

Back to the top
ive had my jetta for 18 years and my latest golf is 5 years. Ill be buried in the jetta after crashing the golf I think

Back to the top
Log book says first registered 01 August 1990 previous keepers 0 need I say more........

Back to the top
I've had mine 26 years next week and never had or have any intention of selling…Love it so much it's my escapism  :D

Back to the top
I'm a bit slow on the uptake of this thread… but it's just what I needed as I'm lacking enthusiasm!

The Cabby (1990 GTI) has been off the road since 2004.  I got it July 2011 and started the rebuild. A full cut out rust/reweld/re-spray has been done on the body.  Then I discovered the engine is shot.  I have another but just haven't had time (I have an 18 month old baby, house etc oh and I just cant be a**ed) to change it so its laid up in a garage awaiting enthusiasm.

Thank god for this forum.  I've forgotten how much I love a GTI since selling my mkII. I will get her up and running for next spring!!  If my other car is anything to go by it should still be on the road for my 18 month old to drive!

Back to the top
I won't sell mine now unless I really have to, already been forced to sell it once. Was my first car at 17, bought for me by my old man (RIP) but then a year later I had a coming together with a Vectra with a towbar so stripped it and sold as a rolling shell.

Was bought by a chap in Suffolk who had a rotten GTi and swapped everything onto my Driver. Fast forward to early this year, nearly 10 years after I first got hold of it and there it was forsale on here near where I work. What else was I meant to do eh!!

I've got the E30 which I can't see me parting with either as that is about 3/4 through a near nut & bolt rebuild.

Back to the top
I have a friend here who was bought her deisel for her 18th, when in the UK. shes in her 40's now, and she still uses it every day here in Spain. Next time I see her I'll get some pics.

If you want the PSD Boot Sticker file, it's here: Boot Sticker

Back to the top
No plans to sell mine either, I was only saying the other day what a pleasure no warning when u have a bulb out no bleeping to fasten your seat belt no pulling up at Mc Ds and finding ya electric window has packed in no nothing its great cheep insurance and £47 for a clutch ( most now are duel mass fly wheel about £900) it's just done Germany and back and it was a trooper love it it's great,,
And that's saying something as my daily driver is a 320 D M sport
LONG LIVE THE MK 1

Back to the top
Until I die then I shall use it as my coffin :-)

1988 mk1 golf gti cabby
1991 mk2 golf 1.6 driver

Back to the top

gazmo80 said

Until I die then I shall use it as my coffin :-)

I say this to my mrs all the time, if I stack it in it and kill myself then just put me in the ground in it!

Back to the top
I've waited a long time to get my hands on a mk1 gti…so i think she'll be staying around forever.  It's a bit rough around the edges with some minor things to be sorted.  But love every minute of driving.  Kjet stuffing around so i think that will need to removed. :banghead: Car will be 30yrs old next year…and still going. With the badly faded paint and some rust i feel awesome when rolling around town.  Engine still good and floorpans still brilliant!

MK1 Gti are quite scarce down here, so i consider myself lucky to own one…car is almost 5yrs older than. 8O  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
If i actually had a nice mk1 at the moment, might well be the last car i ever owned.

Back to the top
I would promise my daughter use of mine - but she's 2 months old, so that could be slightly premature…

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.