Skip navigation

How long will you keep your mk1............

Back to the top

How long will you keep your mk1............

Had my tintop for almost 4 years now :), bought it the week before we found out my girlfriend was pregnant with our daughter.  

I've always maintained that when our daughter's old enough to drive she can have the mk1 - she'll be 3 in December, the mk1 rolled over 170k this month as it turned 30  :lol:

Back to the top

richyhill said

A member on the club has always said to me, once you have bought it, its bought. The cash has been spent and the cars there so even at the exact time it breaks you cant afford to fix it, leave it there and fix it when you can.

I agree entirely with that notion :clap: and count myself lucky that the mk1 is a 2nd car and we have that luxury available to us.

Back to the top

richyhill said

good thread by the way Ginner :-)

Just something me and my lad were arguing over cos he wants the  tin top when it's done but I said he can have the cabby end of !! But Will being Will won't settle for it cos along with the tin top being orange he wants the cabby orange too !

Cheers, Dave.

Banner

Back to the top

Back to the top

Dano said

"When it's done"!!!!

The boy will be 30 by then!!!  :mrgreen:

Thank you for your vote of confidence there Mr Chairman.

Cheers, Dave.

Banner

Back to the top

Dano said

"When it's done"!!!!

The boy will be 30 by then!!!  :mrgreen:

Thank you for your vote of confidence there Mr Chairman.

Cheers, Dave.

Banner

Back to the top
I bought mine when it was 23 and I was 17. It is now 32 and I'm 26. It is my first car. I'll keep it going for as long as I am alive or until some one crashes into it and writes it off.

Back to the top
FOREVERRRRRRRR....

Back to the top

Back to the top
Got a cabby but the colour is good.

Cheers, Dave.

Banner

Back to the top

richyhill said

Yeah Rich,
Look at how many bids its got!
Was probably a nice car once but someone decided to vandalize it.  :dontknow:
God I hope a member doesn't own it but if you read this, it's tongue in cheek.

I could just imagine giving it some, grabbing a handful of steering wheel into a tight corner and the wheel complete with dash coming off in my hands!

When it comes to MK1's I am a bit of a purest as it's getting harder to find proper, straight ones but I'm not Virgin!  :offtopic:

Thanks for this GINNER, great idea Sir!  :clap:

Mike.  :mrgreen:  :twisted:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
I've had the GTI for 12+ years and its got my blood, sweat, tears and £ in it so I doubt I'll ever part with it. I keep it taxed all year and its also such a usable vehicle, get in it go where ever you want at 40mpg. Trip to shops or across to Germany, no problem.

The Cabrio….. mint 1 prev owner show winner, but if it wasn't for a trip to Somerset in June, it would have only done about 100 miles this summer….. It's a bit of a luxury that I could live out. But where would I find another.

Regret selling the Caddy  :cry:    

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Went through a phase of mini obsession when I started driving for a bit but since 2001 when I got the Gti I've not wanted any other car.. .in fact when the Gti came off the road I got frustrated with not being able to drive it and went and bought the diesel. Can't see me ever wanting to willingly sell either.

:D

Back to the top
Mines about to go for a full resto, so hopefully it will last another 30 years. I've certainly got no plans to sell it.

Back to the top
hi

the mk1s gone when i can save the pennies for a old skool 911 big arch turbo in black

na seriously should have my current mk1 for a long time its part of my make-up, old man had mk1 gtis , i had two mk1 gtis when i was a lot younger & have had my present mk1 gti for over 3years, brilliant cars

cheers
baz

Back to the top
Some top comments here !

Cheers, Dave.

Banner

Back to the top
had my cabby 5 years sold it today saving for tintop

i'am a mk1 golf nutter RHODEISAN RIDGEBACK mk1 cabbys rule and you drool

Back to the top
had this tintop 3years now and just about ready for testing had a clipper before that (f reg)2 t reg 1.5 diesels,2 v reg 1.6 gti's 2 a reg gti's
not all at the same time but they are in my blood so hope the car will outlast me this is the last one i will buy because i will have built it myself
so could not part with it after all the work put in not to mention money(and grief from wife). :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Was going to sell ours this year, but couldn't bring myself to do it. Will have had 25 years next August.

Back to the top
Not going to sell it its that simple .I love driving it to
much. :D  :D and as for age and millage its 27 years old and done
209068 .

B reg cab
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.