Skip navigation

Mk1 Golf driver - FOR SALE - see classifieds

Back to the top

Winter project - Mk1 Driver

Must have been some storm mate to rip that off. :(

What you gonna do now? Replace it or just bin it?

Back to the top
Thanks, and I know what you mean about the colour.  :thumbs:Don't think I'll be selling it for a while after the money the resto has cost. !!

1991 Golf GTi Rivage - Show Car 1983 Golf driver - Restoration Project

Back to the top

Dubbuds said

Absolutely love this :wub: its exactly the same as my first car :( Everywhere i went someone wanted to buy it.. now i want to buy yours??? lol.. My favourite colour of all time :thumbs:

Thanks, and I know what you mean about the colour.  :thumbs:

Don't think I'll be selling it for a while after the money the resto has cost. !!

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Must have been some storm mate to rip that off. :(

What you gonna do now? Replace it or just bin it?

Bent/snapped frame and tore roof at stitching, its defo a bin job.  :P

Not going to buy another, just be hardy and finish re-build outside in lovely Scottish Spring weather !!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Your mental !!

I will bring a brolly :-)

Back to the top
I've sampled the delights of Scottish spring weather and it's memorable for all the wrong reasons :lol:

Back to the top
Shame on the cover it make u get it done quicker outside thou lol.. Thought it was in the garage earlier? 

Back to the top

Dubbuds said

Shame on the cover it make u get it done quicker outside thou lol.. Thought it was in the garage earlier? 

It was in the garage for its staged photo shot with its brother by kind permission of my wife !!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Ah I see…  Roll the cab out and get a good car cover on it.. Then u can use the cover for the driver:) mine had 16" superturizmo and polished scalas on it and the 16s looked great I thought. It had a feature in VW motoring to. It was in a concours show at Gti international and earned 98 out of a 100. It lost 2 points for dirt in the tyre treads lol 

Back to the top

Dubbuds said

Ah I see…  Roll the cab out and get a good car cover on it.. Then u can use the cover for the driver:) mine had 16" superturizmo and polished scalas on it and the 16s looked great I thought. It had a feature in VW motoring to. It was in a concours show at Gti international and earned 98 out of a 100. It lost 2 points for dirt in the tyre treads lol 

Got any pics mate to give me inspiration  :thumbs:

Back to the top
My driver was delivered to the bodyshop on 7th December 2012, and today I rolled it out into the middle of the workshop, now that the restoration is finished, connected up the battery, and in typical VW style it fired up first time. :thumbs:The protective covers have been folded away and the bodyshop doors are closed and locked for the night.

Tomorrow is home coming day, albeit on the back of the recovery truck, but it will be fantastic. (Only one more sleep!!!!) :ocf_emoticons__clap:I have managed to convince my wife of the merits of giving up her garage space for a vw re-build, and terms have now been agreed after concilliation almost involving ACAS. :(Seriously though, given the recent drama with my gazebo, it is better that the driver complete with fresh paint is stored in the garage until the re-build is finished. :thumbs:So the garage has been cleaned out, floor brushed, and general debris tidied away, in anticipation of Friday morning. :)Recovery truck is collecting me from home at 9 am for the 15 mile drive to the Glasgow bodyshop, loading her carefully on the back, for the gentle return journey around 11 am.

My two boys have agreed to rise from their slumbers to record the event on their iphones for this blog. :dry:I'll update the blog tomorrow night.

Have I said only 1 more sleep to go !!!

Quite excited as this is the first time I've done anything as detailed as this before, and its not finished yet !!

Cheers

David

:ocf_emoticons__clap:

Back to the top

Back to the top
Nice one David, hope all goes well for you mate.

A massive day tomorrow. Try and get some kip :lol:

Back to the top
LOL you sound very excited mate :lol:  Who could blame you  :thumbs:

I've still got about 365 more sleeps :P

Back to the top
My driver is now home (Yeah!!) with its nice new reflective paint job, and safely tucked away in the garage. :thumbs:With my heart in my mouth, I have now started to re-build her, carefully to avoid damaging any paintwork. :)Once the re-build is finished, the bodyshop guys will machine polish and wax, and at that point I'll fit the arches, bumpers and side decals.

I'm going to take my time with the re-build mostly due to the fact that I'm skint and need to save for an interior and other things, but also because I'm working down south three weeks on, two off, and I'm away tomorrow.

Here are some quick photos which are already out of date, I particularly like the underbonnet comparison !

Cheers

David

:thumbs:

BEFORE

AFTER

Back to the top
I can't see any difference in the 2 under bonnet pics !!

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

I can't see any difference in the 2 under bonnet pics !!

hahaha

What a wicked shade of blue! Nice golf :D

Back to the top
Looks great man, bet you can't wait for the rebuild!!

Back to the top
Hi Guys,

Well that day has finally arrived, when its time to test your car building capabilities !! :(This morning first thing, I drove the driver to the MOT station, the first time its been in a higher gear than second since December last year.  ;)No worries though, it drove like a dream, and attracted quite a few glances from other drivers. Its basically finished except for cosmetics like arches, spoiler and side decals externally and sorting out the interior/door cards.

But once I get an MOT, I can road tax it and continue its re-build.

Feels like I'm sitting in a maternity waiting room now, waiting for the nurse to come and tell me the glad tidings ! :(I'm back home waiting for the call, and thought I'd update this thread with some photos and the latest news, in an attempt to take my mind off time, which is passing very slowly !!

As usual, any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

David

:thumbs:In the garage this morning before I left

Parked up at the MOT station

Last edit: by dal

Back to the top
Best of luck David, let us now how you got on. I am sure she will pass after all the TLC you have given her recently.

Smudger
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.