Skip navigation

Honda b series conversion

Back to the top

Honda b series conversion

has this been done in a mk1? I had a big spec b18c when I had a track civic an is now going spare.

So has it been done?? An how much work would be involved?

Sam

A jap engine in a mk1! blasphemy.....naughty me

Back to the top
There was a vtec Mk1 in PVW a while ago, as I remember it was juast a case of fabbing engine mounts and a bell housing adaptor, and some wire splicing.  take a week off work and get it done!

Take it easy ; )

Back to the top
Well I've got the engine (last dyno'd at 192 WHP :D ) and a gearbox with a 1.5 LSD in it, so have all the necessary bits plus I have a scrap EG civic in work atm too :)

Back to the top
Has anyone got anymore info into this conversion????

Back to the top
Purists will be running away now.

including me!

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Purists? soooooooooo I will be slated for not doing the (yaaaawwwwn) 1.8T/2L 16v/vr6/g60 etc conversions?

Back to the top

sammyb said

Purists? soooooooooo I will be slated for not doing the (yaaaawwwwn) 1.8T/2L 16v/vr6/g60 etc conversions?

Yaaaawwwwwwwn er no mate you have just listed 4 swaps that all have different potentials in power. Theres more vw engines than that too to look at what may not have been done, why stick a Jap motor in it? however your car do what you want give it a go.

It dunt fit

Back to the top

X said

Purists will be running away now.

including me!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
before this turns into a bitching thread about purists hating jap stuff, jap hater hating euro etc etc

I've owned a Honda, Ive build a 190WHP B series engine, I've now broken the car as I've bought a house and needed the money for other things and now I've gotten the engine spare.
I am a big fan of the reliability of the B series motor and its rev happyness hence the idea of this conversion an fuck it i want to be different

Back to the top
be different go for it just dont think yyyyaaaaawwwwnnnn was the best way to put it lol. The vw engines you state are very reliable even when you chuck more power at them also im sure you could sell your set up and get a good vw set up for the money and would be less hassle to install ie hidden costs of all engine swaps, plus if its easyer to convert using vw engine the car will be up and running faster for you to use

It dunt fit

Back to the top
Do it!

Great engines, good power, better weight distribution for a rhd car to. (box is on other side)

Remember abf only 160bhp……… :lol:

Back to the top
Chill Sammy..lol.

Everyone has likes and dislikes.

It's your car so do what you like with it.

There's been all sorts of stuff done. Scooby engines, Hyabusi, fitted etc.

If I had the  fabbing skills and the workshop space, money and another Mk1 Cabby I would put something ridiculous in it, just because I could and have a killer, sleeper cabby.

I saw a youtube video where these blokes were having a bit of a tear up, think one was a porker, along came this MK1, left em for dead.Lord knows what was under the bonnet. Found it…

- YouTube

Another one I watched was a UK vid ..frighteningly fast..Oh the look on the others faces was priceless..

If you do a build thread I will subscribe…..

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Have a look here Juans  thread  he  is in the process of of a full rebuild with a honda lump.There are a lot of people with blinkers on take no notice.

Web Page Name

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top
Thanks mate :)

Back to the top
If I were building a mk1 I would not stick a Honda engine in it. There designed for Honda's with Honda gearbox's and chassis which work very very well IMO. yes I am a jap fan!
If I wanted a 200 bhp VTEC I'd buy an integra or s2000
I would also want fully independent rear suspension, the mk1 golf is beam. All the extra power in a not so good / older chassis.
While abf may only be 150bhp standard there is no VTEC but peak power from 4200rpm (ish) not 6800 in a VTEC.
Now I'm not saying it wouldnt be quick, yes it would be immense and I would love to have a blast in it. but I prefer a mk1 with a tweaked abf or 20vt. Defeats the object putting in an engine with 200bhp from standard.
Of course only my opinions and it's not my car!
Yes I would be checking out a build thread if it were to come about!

Happy researching/ building etc etc

82 Golf Gti. The snail project (abf turbo one day)

Saab 93 diesel daily

Back to the top

possle said

Defeats the object putting in an engine with 200bhp from standard.

:dontknow:

Is the object spending a load of cash on a abf?

20vt is different, although the mk1 was never designed to run this engine either.

For n/a power and the money involved its a good choice if you don't want a vag engine.

If you didn't want 200bhp (I'm not sure why after all this effort :P) , you could always run the 1600 16v engines, (from crx etc) about 130bhp.

Back to the top
Yeah put it in, while i would always use a vag engine because of the ease of fitting, it would make a nice change to get away from the narrow bore long stroke vag engine and have a rev happy fun engine.

Back to the top
Blasphemy.

You don't deserve a mk1.

Back to the top

Phataz1 said

Blasphemy.

You don't deserve a mk1.

I'd do it :redfaced:

Back to the top
I wouldn't… Not from a blinkered stand point but I like torque to be at least on par with my power. A couple friends have built some serious honda engines but for the outlay involved I was disappointed in their final figures. Ive seen a mk1 with a vauxhall redtop as well but for the effort involved its more like a swap for the sake of a swap. I wouldnt consider either the vauxhall or the honda swap to be any more or less fab. intensive than a VR6 swap for instance and surely a purist would even object to the invasive surgery required for that swap.

Its your car to have your fun in at the end of the day though,have fun and build on.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.