Skip navigation

wheeler dealers campaign golf proof

Back to the top

wheeler dealers campaign golf proof

Just to clear up a common misunderstanding: Volkswagen (as with other manufacturers) doesn't do special models just to "use up a few bits", they have "left over" such as body shells, etc. As far as the factory is concerned, all cars built are against a firm order and a customer is classified as an importer or dealer, not just a private individual. Volkswagen worked to this formula from the late Seventies at least, so this would apply to the last Golf GTIs.

Everything is carefully planned so the production lines only build what is needed and spare parts requirements are also carefully planned.

Back to the top

post subject

Don't think the Mk1 16s was produced by Volkswagen,
but by some French fellas modifiing the Mk1.
All my sunroofs havn't rusted & the MFA's have all been
O.K. Maybe it's the way I look after my 'CAMPAIGN' cars.
Shoudn't tar everything with the same brush.
Kind Regards.
Keith       kaykay3

Back to the top
To be fair he wasnt labeling them all the same but they are known for the sunroof rusting.

Oh and its not a really a campaign, i mean unless the car was sold as a golf gti campaign then adding this word that makes it stand out is pretty silly.

I might start calling mine a campaign

Back to the top
Ill agree with whats being said here.  The ultimate incarnation of a Mk1 Golf is the series 1 1.6 GTI with the 4speed box.  Anything after that just waters the formula down.  

There is absolutely nothing special about a campaign, and as ive said on many occations before I prefere non campaign mk1's - mainly because of the lack of sunroof, 4 lamps and a pillar trims.

Back to the top

stretch said

lhasadreams said

But was it called a campaign by VW, I don't remember seeing any brochures with them called campaigns

Just "special edition" in the brochure  :wink:
oooooh…like that.special edition will do for me :)

Back to the top

richardaudi0 said

Just to clear up a common misunderstanding: Volkswagen (as with other manufacturers) doesn't do special models just to "use up a few bits", they have "left over" such as body shells, etc. As far as the factory is concerned, all cars built are against a firm order and a customer is classified as an importer or dealer, not just a private individual. Volkswagen worked to this formula from the late Seventies at least, so this would apply to the last Golf GTIs.

Everything is carefully planned so the production lines only build what is needed and spare parts requirements are also carefully planned.

There have been plenty of special edition VWs from Jeans Beetles to Sportlines to Matches to Edition 35 GTIs . They are usually marketed near the end of the vehicle life cycle to help decaying volume until the new model.

Yes of course all material flow is planned and there is an order behind each vehicle to allow it to be built, but not all orders are from end customers. Plenty of vehicles are built for country stock so there is a pipeline of vehicles available for delivery especially for popular configurations that allows competitive leadtimes.

Banner

Back to the top
So we have established that the campaign is actually a gti special and that they are less popular than a normal gti!

Sell up while you can, prices are on the down fall! Lol lol lol

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top

Re: post subject

kaykay3 said

Don't think the Mk1 16s was produced by Volkswagen,
but by some French fellas modifiing the Mk1.
All my sunroofs havn't rusted & the MFA's have all been
O.K. Maybe it's the way I look after my 'CAMPAIGN' cars.
Shoudn't tar everything with the same brush.
Kind Regards.
Keith       kaykay3

No, the16S was type approved by VW, its model code appears on the VIN plate, it appears in all VW spec sheets  , brochures, parts catalogues, repair information, owners manual and given a full warrany by VWS. I have all this documentation for mine. This is what makes them extremely caught after and valuable. So certainly not some French people modifying cars! And by the way Oettinger the engine supplier are German not French.

Banner

Back to the top

BigNormRivage said

Why do people call them campaigns if vw didnt?

i'd like to know what year it was first used, maybe drew made it up and it stuck.. :lol:

Back to the top

litlekris said

BigNormRivage said

Why do people call them campaigns if vw didnt?

i'd like to know what year it was first used, maybe drew made it up and it stuck.. :lol:

PM him and ask mate. He's a life member on here.

April 14, 2005

Back to the top
The name was around in 1999 when I bought my campaign, A993 TGJ.

Back to the top

"stretch" said

Should the website team be thinking about removing the Campaign links from the front page of this forum then?  :dontknow:

Any official response from the website team regarding the question above?

Cheers

April 14, 2005

Back to the top
Nope, no plans to remove anything around campaigns.

The thing is we all know what the word campaign refers to when spoken about in the context of the Mk1 Golf - so it would not serve any purpose other than confusion to change it !!

Please just carry on enjoying this site and your Mk1 Golf, what ever version that you have.

Funk, you wouldn't be trying to influence the market in your favour by any chance? Come to think of it, Stretch, you are not working for Funk are you? Lol

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
:mrgreen:

Back to the top
Not working for Funk mate

Was just weighing up whether to have my car removed from the Campaign links used on this sites front page.

For all the Campaign haters out there, I hope your next turds a hedgehog  :wink:

April 14, 2005

Back to the top
I know your not working for Funk !!
Just a wee bit of banter, Funk breaks cars for a living and is always looking out for a fresh market !!

Do people really hate campaigns ?
I don't think so, just some banter. I think what people get hooked up on is why do they fetch more money? It always comes down to human nature around exclusivity, it is always nice to feel that you have invested in something special. Some will pay for that, some will scoff and others won't care a hoot but just enjoy what is theirs.

The campaign is knitted in to the mk1 history - I tell you this, anyone that likes mk1 golfs and was offered a campaign at the right money for their budget and condition for their skills would snap it up :-)

Please continue to represent your fairly unique part of the Mk1 history !!
(At least it is not a five door, diesel or cabriolet !! - only joking lol)

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

(At least it is not a five door, diesel or cabriolet !! - only joking lol)

Don't let Sharon hear you say that! Lol

Back to the top
Agreed Ade and I will. I appreciate all mk1 golfs and am just happy to see people keeping them on the road.

I just don't want to see visitors to this site being confused by the links.

cheers

stretch

April 14, 2005

Back to the top

stretch said

For all the Campaign haters out there, I hope your next turds a hedgehog  :wink:

I love campains, I love mk1 golfs infact but I just prefer to own non campaigns.

Some people (me included) just don't understand what the fuss is about, at the end of the day its a chassis number - thats all.  One of the biggest problems with the mk1 golf is the sunroof, and as these come standard on campaigns it puts me off.

I also like the term campaign, it sounds better than 'run out model'

Back to the top
Just look back and see how the thread was started, vdubo7 wanted to prove the wheeler dealer refurb car was a campaign, and the basic checks of Y reg not A reg, are enough to say it isn't, obviously when brought new, people specked the cars to their taste and requirements. So people will have sunroofs and green tint glass. Wheels can be changed at anytime in its history.

I don't think anybody on the site dislikes campaigns, however if your car isn't a campaign don't say it is.

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.