Skip navigation

wheeler dealers campaign golf proof

Back to the top

wheeler dealers campaign golf proof

hello forum,
as the title suggests, i have a pretty good idea that the wheeler dealers golf gti was a genuine campaign
–Highlight all the links- sorry i couldnt make a proper link.

listed below is my proof

1.Plate | RegArchive – this link showes that the golf was registered between august 1982 and july 1983

2.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8-duFO8DCg – this youtube video showes us at the point 4mins 55secs- when mike lifts up the boot carpet, there is a pirelli p-slot alloy in the spare wheel well. look very closely and you will see the edge of the p's

3. at 6mins 5secs - the non leather steering wheel is off centre which leads you to believe that the leather one was taken off and a non campaign put on -squint.

4. my final point is that if you look closely you will see a sunroof

Back to the top
Campaigns were only on a A reg number plate and chassis has 17ew in it

That wheeler dealer was just a normal mk1 golf gti

Back to the top
My white gti is on an A plate but not a campaign. The wheeler dealer one certainly isn't a campaign

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
My mk1 is on an A plate and is not a campaign. Also it was registered in 1984. Are there many more registered then,  i always used to think 1983 was the last of them ?

1984 white s2 golf gti , 2006 golf gti

Back to the top
There are quite a few 84 A reg ones.
There is also the odd B plate that got registered later…
Not all A reg ones are campaigns - it's all a myth anyway, they were just loaded with the same spec package that's all !!
Mk1 p slots
Slide metal sunroof
Green tint glass
Leather steering wheel
Twin lights (fogs)
EW chassis I think

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Mine is a reg and a dw chassis, so it isn't.

Didn't want it to be and never will be

What's the big deal with campaign !!!

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
They are great  :wink:

April 14, 2005

Back to the top

ant5 said

Mine is a reg and a dw chassis, so it isn't.

Didn't want it to be and never will be

What's the big deal with campaign !!!
imo if it was called a campaign by people like us then i think it would just be a name for the last of a great car but,it was deemed a campaign by volkswagen so gives it a bit of provenance

Back to the top
Means they had a load of shells to shift so put a few nice bits on and mugged people lol

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
But was it called a campaign by VW, I don't remember seeing any brochures with them called campaigns

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

But was it called a campaign by VW, I don't remember seeing any brochures with them called campaigns

Just "special edition" in the brochure  :wink:

April 14, 2005

Back to the top
There was some letter Drew found where it was called a campaign by some UK VW head and that is about it :-)

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
"Campaign" as in a general sales campaign to shift stock, not as in the model was named "Campaign" - it never was. It is a generic name that has stuck.

Again, the ONLY test of a "campaign" is model codes 707 (for the additional equipment of leather steering wheel) and 750 (for the Pirelli alloys) on the boot sticker. All other equipment fitted to this model ie. tinted glass, fog lights and sunroof have the corresponding codes for them. The chassis code is irrelevant as stated above as "non-Campaigns" (GTi models or not) were available at the same time.

Banner

Back to the top
This is the letter in this sites history:

Last edit: by lhasadreams

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Doesn't mention campaign then ;)

Going to start using a small "c" too now!

Banner

Back to the top
Should the website team be thinking about removing the Campaign links from the front page of this forum then?  :dontknow:

My understanding is that the Mk1GOC was started off the back of the Campaign Register.

To the young lad who started the thread, fair play for trying to spot the differences.

April 14, 2005

Back to the top

post subject

In the late part of 2001, a few owners of Mk1 'CAMPAIGN' Gti's
decided to form the 'CAMPAIGN REGISTER', from witch this Club
was born.
There does seem an element in the club of being anti 'CAMPAIGN',
as this subject comes up over & over again, as to what is so special
about this model.
I wil agree that that technically the 'CAMPAIGN' model is just an ordinary
Mk1 Golf Gti with a few extras thrown in as standard. None of these make
the car much better than an ordinary Gti, but it can be regarded as the
ultimate incarnation of the best original Gti and as such is worth preserving,
not only as a Mk1 Gti but also in name.
If we can then let us try to put this to bed, & enjoy the fact that Volkswagen
produced such a 'Special' Mk1 Gti.
Kind Regards to all.
                       Keith,          kaykay3

Back to the top
Why do people call them campaigns if vw didnt?

Back to the top
VW still use the word campaign to sell cars. Not in brochure text or public documents, but on internal systems.  The Mk1 campaign is recorded as such on VW systems, and will be found on the "birth Certificate" produced by vw museum if applicable. All the final MK1 campaign was, was a way to sell the last of the MK1 with lots of optional extras added to the standard specification at a reduced increase in cost. There was nothing exclusive to the the "campaign" model, it was a run out.

Mk1GTi
Rallye Golf
Mk5 GTi
Mk7 GTD

Back to the top
"Ultimate incarnation" of the GTi is a matter of opinion. In my opinion the Mk1 GTi 16S is the ultimate original incarnation - 136bhp, blueprinted 1.6 16V. Or possibly the early 1.6 S1 models with better power to weight ratio than the 1.8 and more of a classic.

I like the Campaign, but the sunroofs are rust traps and the MFAs fail. Think most people in the know value on condition and don't hold the Campaign as more desirable or valuable anymore.

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.