Skip navigation

my mk1

Back to the top

my mk1

MK1 GTI Tintop

pretty clean shell, going to get the boot patched up and just get her roadworthy before i start concentrating on serious mods!

here are the ebay pics

on the way home

and home

the rust!

story was, i was hunting after one last year, as i wanted a mad project with mk1ness and a vtec !

bought the donor vtec and found the above mk1, but at the time i realised he was asking to much for what it was…a rolling shell, good condition and relatively rust free, but a empty shell nonetheless.

so id put it to bed and scrapped the donor honda,

then i found this on ebay again last week, and decided it was meant to be, and it was cheaper too :)

seeing as it was local, i snapped it up, and will be putting it into storage soon so i can start work on her!

what you think?

Back to the top
Doesn't look too bad apart from some moron ground the shit out of the boot floor lol.

Still putting a vtec in it? What vtec lump, turbo?

MK1 Cabby '90 R.I.P

'83 tin top gti

Back to the top
what daffodil is that then? im a complete newb when it comes to mk1's!

nope, got a couple of options, i know of a 20v turbo conversion or a 2l 8v from a mk3 golf both local and bot around the £200 mark

either that or just something like a 1600 on carbs

i was going to put a H22 in it, 2.2 blacktop 185bhp standard! those plans got flushed ages ago!

Back to the top
Ha swear filter. S.hit I meant that's why the rust is there I'm guessing.

Vtec would've been good and a 20vt it will cost a lot more unless it's a bolt in conversion. Easiest with good gains would
Be 16v. Good luck with it all.

MK1 Cabby '90 R.I.P

'83 tin top gti

Back to the top
thanks, much appreciated, ill cross the engine bridge when i come to it i think. interior pics…

and i need a windscreen :(

EDIT: my little boy LOVES vw's!

Back to the top
Gud luck mate

Back to the top
jus paid half for my new engine today!

picking it up next week when i pay the rest.

AGU 20vt complete with everything needed to run :)

Back to the top
Good luck with it mate, AGU will be nice!  :D

Back to the top
Good luck with it. I'm in the same boat just picked up an mk1 after wanting one for a while and my 2 engine ideas are either 20v or 16v but I've had to start doing repairs on my shell first so when it's solid I will be getting my engine. Will keep an eye on this to see how it progresses

Mk5 golf tdi daily

Mk1 golf project

Corrado vr6

2.0l 8v beetle

Back to the top
yeah, i spoke to my mate jamie, *jamiegolf* on here, he has a orange cabby with 20vt running megasquirt. and hes told me that its a nightmare conversion!

need different box, shafts etc, but for the price i picked the engine up for, i still think it'll be a cheap conversion!

just going to do loads of reading up, and parts collecting for now, then ill get down to business after xmas.

Back to the top
shes home for the winter :)

moved her to work last week, with jamiegolf on here, it had beeen outside for way to long, and seeing as it insnt watertight it was full of water!

ive never heard anyone laugh so much as it went up onto the recovery truck and the water ran out! there was loads!

anyway, its in now, so thats one thing, ive since sold the 20vt engine, and bought a complete KR conversion with box, mounts, shortened loom etc, so ill be putting that in there now!

ive also promised the better half i wont touch it till after xmas, due to having a little one due anyday now, but the temptations too much when its in work, tempting just to do a little on it after work!

majour progress will start soon  enough though

Back to the top
Well, seeing as its in work with me now, i cant resist a bit of work here and there

so ive offered up the engine to the car, just to see how it fits, and what im missing, i can then also change/modify things as needs be before i start on bodywork.

managed to get it it in, although the captive bolt for the drivers side mount it shagged and needs replacing, and i need the front engine mount, well the half that goes in the car, ive got a polybushed mount for there.

going to see if i can get this engine running, then rip it back out and start on bodywork :)

im also missing loads of interior bits, looms, fusebox, everything :(

Back to the top
Looking good mate. I'm going down the AGU route too at the moment as well. Lots of work to keep you busy over the coming months ;)

Back to the top
I sold the 2ovt i had for this as i wanted to concentrate on getting the car on the road first, then maybe have a look at swapping in a bigger engine at a later stage

Back to the top
bloody hell! id just written a massive essay and then my comp died :@

ah well, been working on the mk1 recently! engine back out, wings off, tailgate off, glass out, ready to go on its side so i can crack on with the underneath!

rot round the screen

one kr engine

and fitted

been parts collecting thanks to people on here, you know who you are

new looms to sort through, rewire and fit

dash mocked up, all complete

wiring mocked up, this is what made me want bike carbs lol

rot :(

inside the arch

one wing finally off

rot in the rear passenger arch

drivers side wing off

glass out

rot above the lights

now this was a plate that covered something up behind the numberplate? any ideas what was there originally?

and as i left it last night

Back to the top
had forgotten about this forum,the mk1, life sort of took over :(..
 the mk1 has been up in storage, we had to move out of our place of work due to them demolishing it, so i had to find somewhere temporary while i looked for a new place, meanwhile, work and family life took over and searching for a new home for the golf took a back seat.

im glad to say i have found my new unit, thats mine, no one elses, so no faffing about worrying about mess, or damaging other peoples stuff. i can just get up there and get on with it.

ill be moving the majority of parts ive collected up there tomorrow, then i plan to move it up there sometime next week, with the car trailer get it on a spit, and get cracking!

The 20vt idea has been scrapped, and ive picked up a set of zzr bike carbs that have already been jetted for a 2.0. so will be running the KR on those!

baby…..its been to long! and i cant wait!

Back to the top
KR on bike carbs should be fun, I'm going for a 2.0l 9a on ZX9R bike carbs, will be keeping an eye on this one! :thumbs:

Back to the top
nice, cant beat the sound of bike carbs! :)got mine by chance,
took a customers car round for tyres, and was winging to the manager about how much of a pain in the rectumhole the wiring was, as i hadnt pulled it out and i was having to guess what went where, and that i may aswell put it on bike carbs.

he scurried off to the tea room and came back with carbs…. must have been fate!

i really am itching to get going now, im sat here like a exited schoolboy because i know at 10am this morning i can pick the keys up to the unit!

Back to the top
Yeah I was having nightmares about the wiring, bike carbs seemed the simpler option, plus like you said the sound will be cool too!

Bet your counting down the minutes till you get the keys!? lol.

Have you got a date in mind for when it'll be back on the road or are you just going to see how it goes?

Back to the top
yeah, all you need its a few bits for the ignition system now! and looks much tidyer! may even smooth the bay but i dont want to lose to much of the originality!

havnt got a date set, it will just be see how it goes, like i said to SWMBO, id rather spend a little bit more money and time now and do things right, rather than having to do it all over again in a few years.

ive told her we arnt setting our wedding date till the mk1 is finished, as its the car i want her to come in.

good job she likes vw's too! granted shes not as mental on em as me, with the club/memorbillia stuff, but thats ok! :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.