Skip navigation

Hay, New Scottish member here

Back to the top

Hay, New Scottish member here

Hi everyone,

I have been surfing the site for a while now and the time has finally come to put my first post up and start my project log of my MK1 Jetta. I've always loved the boot boy cars and had been set on a BMW E30, but then going to Ultimate Dubs last year I saw the immaculate white mk1 Jetta and from then on the E30 took a back seat and my Jetta hunt began. And then on Christmas day my Jetta found me.

The body work is solid, few wee bits needed, new arches and I bought a new front valence, and there are a few other wee bits needing welding but that's about it. The engine isn't in such a good state, loads of bits missing, I bought a new carb but not sure its worth all the faffing on with. Gong to do a compression test then if its a dud will give it a whole new engine - mk3 1.4 golf engine maybe? Either way engine will be out for the respray.

I've seen there are a few Scottish meets which I hope to come along to, be great to get involved and really looking forward to bringing the Jetta along.

I'll make a post in the projects to cover my progress, any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Plan is to have it on the road for spring :)

Anna

Back to the top
Hello and welcome :)

Back to the top
Hi Anna welcome along - looks like a good project you got there with the body work looking pretty sound - glad you picked the jetta rather than the E30 I'm sure you'll have alot more fun doing it up.  :D  Other than the engine what are your plans for it?

Lots of very helpful and knowledgable people on here if you're needing advice so just ask.. do check out the membership only £15 for the year and you get plenty of discounts on parts etc - I'm sure you'll make it back on parts in no time.  

Would be great to see the Jetta along to one of the Scottish gatherings in the Spring - the more the merrier  :) Keep an eye out on the regional thread or pm Chris (Massbad69) who is the Scottish regionial host

James

Golf GLS 1980

Back to the top
Hi, sorry for the sloooooww response - work and renovating my flat have taken priority :(
Thanks for the warm welcome - yes looking at E30's now they don't even compare!
Well the plans… I've checked the engine and all seams good, missing a few bits so first stage will be getting that going then it can be moved around abit easier. Its the original 1.3 atm but i'd def like to upgrade it in the future.
Yeah the body work is great, needs a wee bit of repair on a couple of the arches and round the front and rear windscreens. Then there are a few dents that need pushed out.
I bought a new front valance as the under neath is abit rotten.
Had considered chroming it up but i'm now thinking keeping all the trim black. Not 100% decided on colour, am thinking of metalic/flip flop deep orange - but saw a mk1 jetta at E38 has beaten me too it. If not orange then stick with mars red.
Needs break upgrade and some coilovers then a nice pair of silver or black BBS RS 15"
A few other bits and pieces up my sleeve but i'll save them for when its finished.

Yeah the site is great for info and bits to read. Was thinking of joining once i'm abit more stuck into it and will def be along in the spring - hopefully in the jetta too.

Anna

Back to the top
Hi Anna

Sorry I missed your first post ?

Welcome and looks like a nice wee project u have there.

I'm on my hols just now with little Internet so can't say too much.

Keep posting your progress and as said by James, I hope you can make it àlong to our monthly meets next spring when they restart.

Keep an eye on Scottish meets in the regional section as that's where I sort things out.

We are also planning a 2 night stay and drive up North.

Cheers Chris

Back to the top
Hi Chris,

No probs at all - thanks for replying while on holiday lol.

Yeah i'll post progress and updates as it goes along - yeah i'd had a look at the pics from Knockhill, looks like a good turn out and nice cars :D

Road trip would be great - i'll keep an eye out. Planning on going to the NEC on the Sat too so will pop over to the stand if peeps are about.

Anna

Back to the top

JettyJ said

Hi Chris,

No probs at all - thanks for replying while on holiday lol.

Yeah i'll post progress and updates as it goes along - yeah i'd had a look at the pics from Knockhill, looks like a good turn out and nice cars :D

Road trip would be great - i'll keep an eye out. Planning on going to the NEC on the Sat too so will pop over to the stand if peeps are about.

Anna

I'm going to NEC on the Sat with friends and my older lad, so pm me your phone number if you want and I will meet you at the mk1 stand if u want.

Chris

Back to the top
Hi Anna

Welcome to the club. Sorry missed your original post as well. Will hopefully catch you at a meet next year.

Cheers

stretch

April 14, 2005

Back to the top
Hi

Welcome to the Mk1 Golf Owners Club, enjoy your stay and feel free to browse around the forum and ask any questions you may have, we are all a friendly bunch, and will try and help where we can : - )

If you are looking to save money make sure you check out here:
The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

For just £15 a year for paid membership, you have soon saved more than the paid membership free on discounts from the partners that support our paid members, and on top of that help the club keep going.

As a club we encourage people to meet up, make new friends and share experiences and knowledge we have all had with our golfs etc , so if that's your sort of thing keep an eye on the Regional and National pages below, where there will be details of meets in and around your location. Also details of who your Regional Host is or are, feel free to contact them about meets in your area also.

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=5
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=4

And finally the biggest event of the year ! ! The Mk1 Golf Owners Club - Annual Gathering. If you are looking for a great weekend or even just coming along for the day , fun and laughter, meet new people, enjoy a drive out of 90+ Mk1 Golfs, a great show and shine day on the Sunday and Auto jumble then it's not to be missed : - ) , see here for details:

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=123261

I look forward to meeting you at some shows / club meets in the near future

Cheers

Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Cheers for all the info guys. Definitely looking forward to future meets in the spring.

Accommodation and tickets now booked for NEC  - PM'd Chris

Anna

Back to the top

JettyJ said

Cheers for all the info guys. Definitely looking forward to future meets in the spring.

Accommodation and tickets now booked for NEC  - PM'd Chris

Anna

Pm replied to :-)

Back to the top
welcome aboard Anna :) ,looking forward to seeing your progress on the little jetta and hopefully next year it'll be along at a few meets and shows,hope all goes well :)

mwalker

Back to the top
Hi, I Look forward to seeing this progress as its the same as mine!

Back to the top
Hay Spilz, just had a wee read of your post, looks great - you even have the 1.3 too lol. Any chance of some engine bay pics as mine is missing loads and would be good to see your set up.

Back to the top
Yea sure, she's not much to look at under the bonnet at the moment though! give us a second i'll get a photo up, got one on my phone somewhere!

Back to the top
Here ya go! Best pic I've got at the moment, only a snapshot off my phone sorry. I havent had chance to even clean the bay, only got her on saturday! Would of done it sunday but couldnt stop driving it haha!

Back to the top
Brill that's great, lots of bits are missing in mine so is good to see how it's meant to look. Aw I'm jealous yours is drivable. I hope to get mine running before Christmas then save up the pennies for a respray :) what other plans have you got in mind once you get the basics sorted?

Back to the top
Set of top mounts needed there and the hot air feed from the exhaust manifold to air intake :roll:  Apart from that, looks a tidy wee car

Back to the top
That bay is mine not Jetty's lol, thanks though, only noticed today the lack of pipe!

Just don't want to pollute her thread

Back to the top

JettyJ said

Brill that's great, lots of bits are missing in mine so is good to see how it's meant to look. Aw I'm jealous yours is drivable. I hope to get mine running before Christmas then save up the pennies for a respray :) what other plans have you got in mind once you get the basics sorted?

Nothing really to be honest mate, I do want a set of opening quarters and I fancy an oldschool upswept exhaust, main plan is to keep her on the road no matter how much she costs!

anyway, back to your machine, whats on the list of bits needed?

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.