Skip navigation

DIY powder coating

Back to the top

DIY powder coating

If you have a workshop etc, there isn't really a snag. A second hand oven is a must really, along witha heat gun, have a look at the blog on there website for other methods.

What kind of zinc plating setup have you got?

If you want the PSD Boot Sticker file, it's here: Boot Sticker

Back to the top
thats were the problem come, workshop no, but shed yes!!

it think it can be done

i've spend a while looking over there site and it looks like a hands down win, it would save me money in the long run and be fun while doing it

i've build a blasting cabinet in the past and i have an idea for a new version on a smaller scale

my zinc plating kit is something similar to this and have had brilliant results

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Bright-Zinc-Plating-Kit-FREE-plating-accesory-restoration-car-bike-/251222302407?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a7e041ec7

check what chrissy has achived with it

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&type=misc&id=your-mk1-golfs_2%2Fengine-detailing&start=140

Banner

Back to the top
That looks just where I want to go.

I do actually have some plating bits and bobs, nickel & gold plating, which may be a little OTT,  and because I'm in Spain, I doubt if they will be able to send hazardous chemicals over, and Ryan air really get the knock!

what are the chemicals that I would need for zinc coating? does it stay yellow for along time, or does it mellow after a while?

From the kit, it looks like our tropical fish are going to loose there air pump and heater for a while! :ninja:

Back to the top
that ebay listing does ship aboard

i dont this any of the items are that dangerous

Banner

Back to the top
Theres a hazard sticker on a couple of those, but I see they ship abroad. I'll have alook at my 'caswell plating manual' and see what's involved, I may be able to make it up locally.

I did get some stuff from caswell, could'nt get the Gold to work properly…yet…just thinking what a de-chromed and gold plated cabby would look like….

Back to the top
back to the powdercoating

a little extreme but do you think it would be possible to do a engine block or underside of a car?

udnerside of the car is extremem but with the heat gun method surely it is possible,

engine block would need alot of heat due to the density of the block itself, but would it be a suitable finish for a block tempature wish

Banner

Back to the top
I did think of doing an engine block and body panels, I was even thinking of doing the whole car!

Not sure about block, as you say, big heat drain.

same problem with panels.

also, it may need more KV's?

I have a spare wing, I'll give that a go as well on the next play. Maybe I'll have a look around for an engine block or similar that I can try out as well, actually, thinking about it, may be able to do this in situ without taking engine out. bit of masking up & dismantling etc.

mmmmmmm…aybe.

Back to the top
it's a thought

would it be suitable with the temp that the engine gets to?

Banner

Back to the top
That's what I was thinking. The only time I've seen an engine glow red was at college, but I guess it's down to the operating temperture of the outside of the block.

Personally, I would say it's not suitable, as I would think most blocks get to over 230 degrees on the outside, which is the melting point of the powder, I reckon you'd have a sticky mess on the floor after a while.

Still, if that's the case, why is it okay for rocker covers and sumps? does the oil cool them down suffeciently? or does the tin disipate the heat better? Maybe the heat doesn't concentrate in those areas so much.

The only way to know 100% is to try it.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.