Skip navigation

DIY powder coating

Back to the top

DIY powder coating

I've been thinking about getting one of these:

http://www.electrostaticmagic.co.uk/

Has any body tried them or had any experience with them?

Can't find a powder coater near me, and I want to do loads.

What do you think?

If you want the PSD Boot Sticker file, it's here: Boot Sticker

Back to the top
hi mate, havnt tried the kit, but worth giving asap a call, link on left for the powder coating bits as they are very well priced, quick turn around and a few on here have used them

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Thanks for that. For some reason it says 'no replies' on the message, so I've only just seen your reply.

Ta. I'll take a look and 'weigh the balance.

Back to the top
Just wanted to chime in and say that kit looks mental, thats going on my want list :D

Back to the top
Can't say I've had any first hand experience with them, but saw them demonstrating at a show years ago and looked really impressive. Have you got a suitable oven?!

1983 VW Golf Mk1 Gti

2006 VW Caddy

My Build Thread 

Back to the top
I've read a load of write up's, after googling about powder coaters, hav'nt found a negative word yet.

Going to make a glass bead blaster out of an old gas bottle, and we have a small commercial oven somewhere….

I'll have to take some pics of my mates garage. It's on four floors, he has 3 ramps, tyre changers, wheel balacers, tig & mig, so he can do ali welding, he has a pillar drill & a lathe, and breaks cars when they come in at the right price.

At the moment upstairs he has an e-type in for repairs. had a p38 volvo and a moggy minor last week. a couple of landys and a good selection of 2nd hand engines, (hummer miltary, jag v12. a few land rover v8's etc)

He has also junked a dub at some stage, so has a few goodies around, BBS wheels etc.

downstairs I have my 2nd dub, waiting my attention. and there are various cars in for storage, inc a big american camper. Middle floors have been converted for flats and storage at the moment, but there is a big whole in the floor for an intended car lift, if we can find one going free!

Sorry, went side ways then, Powder coaters, I've seen that some peolpe have used a paint sripper gun to some good effect. Persoanlly I think its down to correct prep, and where a good mask when spraying!

I'll check my-emails in a min, if I 've had no qoutes yet, I will bite the bullet and getone sent over.

Once I have it, I'll do a write up.

Back to the top
Do it! Go on, we all love now toys! :mrgreen:

Back to the top
OKay, I've ordered the 199 kit, with the stand and extra powders.

I'll let you know how I get on when it gets here!
(but don't tell me missus)!

:mrgreen:

Back to the top
I'm very interested in seeing what the results are like, especially the chrome powder finish.

Back to the top
ooooooooooooooooh chrome finish, def be interested in seeing those results. My window chrome is not looking too great.

1983 Cabby Gti All White Edition

Back to the top
don't know if the window chrome strip would be worth doing.

My chrome has been burnt in the sun, but I think it's cheap enough to buy, also isn't it plastic?  it might not like 16o degrees in the firey furnace!

Back to the top
nah side window ones metal, one round the windcreen is plastic yes.

1983 Cabby Gti All White Edition

Back to the top
Okay! It's ordered, and I've ordered some larey colours for the misus push bike as well, I haven't told her I've bought the machine yet!

I was thinking of powder coating the body on no2 gold!

Maybe possible, May give it a go on the wing first.

It'll be about 3 weeks before it arrives, so I will try and make the bead blaster in the meantime.

Back to the top
Neat idea, looks like a good bit of kit too..

Might invest in one of these, weld up a large box use one of them gas powered space heaters an pipe in the heat.. Walla, powder coat a whole engine!

I'm so flipping lonely, it's killing me lol at least I can laugh about it!!

Back to the top
it arrived a week or two aao. still sitting in the garage!

When I get a chance, I'll take some 'photos of what comes in the kit, and put it all together.

Then I'll have a play. may be a little while.

Lots of work on at mo.

Back to the top

Quick Update.

Very quick update.

This is what the kit looks like.  I went for the extra stand and filters etc.

Soon as I've had a play, Ill post some more pics.

may be a week or so…

too much work….. :evil:

Back to the top
Any more on this?

Back to the top
I've been playing around with it a bit, but even down here it's been a bit chilly. Had to put my jumper on the other day!

I'm in the process of doing a number of things, and that four letter word called 'work' keeps getting in the way.

My buddy was going to help me with a few things as well, including setting up the ovens for the powder coating, we bought a new sandblaster and he just had a Mk2 Jag sent down from Belgium.

But, he's been and got a dodgy ticker at the mo. Had a new 'stint' but he's still out of it. (lazy if you ask me)

However, I'm hoping to have a play again later this week, and will post the results.

It sprays really well, and the first trial went OK. The optimal thing is getting the part to the correct temperature for the powder to melt.

I now have one of the Cabriolets in bits. The plan is to blast/clean the bits, powder coat and fit to the First Golf.

I think I will do a rad surround or rocker cover this week, if they fit in the oven we have got.

When I've done it, I'll do a report.

Thanks for asking.. Later…..

Back to the top
Another quick update, I will do a full report later when I have time, but for now….

I'm well impressed with the finish, considering the is the first 2 things out of the bag.

As I said, will do a report later, with what I would do differently etc, but for now.. here are the timing cover and rocker cover:

Top Timing Belt Cover

Rocker Cover

I WANNA GO TO BED! it's 1.35 am local time, and I've just got the tube of youhoo to work, should have been sniffing it, would have worked quicker:ocf_emoticons__BangHead:http://youtu.be/qLf29vANARc

Last edit: by Longimanus

Back to the top
is there anymore on this, i mean the parts look nice, the powdercoating gun will pay for itself in a very short period

whats the snag? i have a shed load of part that need doing could be nice set up along side my zinc plating set up

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.