Skip navigation

Clipper running issues

Back to the top

Clipper running issues

keep us updated mate :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Morning all,

Got around to fitting the new fuel pump Saturday. Also removed the vapour trap and blocked off the return fuel line.

It took a few turns but finally fired up, I went to go for a quick run around the block but got about 20 - 30 meters up the road and it died again, then would not start.

It seems like its firing up and then cutting out straight away. Eventually it did stay running with the choke in but when I gave it a little rev it died again. So now its turning over, firing up then cutting straight out.

The fuel filter is still clean, fuel getting through ok.

Should i now whip the carb off and get a refurb kit or just get a new one from Weber and see if that works?

Not sure what else I can try on it?

Any input welcome and appreciated.

Marcus

Back to the top
gutting to hear that hasnt fixed it , i would suggest the re con kit for carb

or do what i always wanted to do with it and do a 1.8T conversion :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
marcus, this might be worth an offer on !

The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

1.8T CABBY

Back to the top
Ive just read all of this thread as Im having some running problems with my wifes 1.8 clipper. Its interesting to read about the vapour trap not being required when running a weber. Due to the car having been lying unused prior to us buying it it appears to have water in the fuel. Does the rear axle have to be dropped to remove the tank?
Mate sorry to hear about your problems, I hope you get to the bottom of the problem.

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top
the rear axle has to be dropped but be carefull of the brake pipes. leave the wheels on and jack car up as high as possible then when taking all the axle bolts and suspension off lower it carefully, after that remove tank by sliding it out to rear

Haydn

Regional Host South Wales

Back to the top
Hi Macca,

No worries mate. Just one of those things with older cars and part of the fun of owning one.

As I said to Rich, I have sorted a new carb from Weber and a new rubber flange. I'm going to fit them next Friday as I won't have time this weekend. Fingers crossed that will sort it out.

I've had a read of your thread too, it sounds very familiar!

Good luck with getting yours sorted too mate!

Will post an update as soon as new carb is fitted and fired up!

Marcus

Back to the top
It sounds like fuel starvation.  I don't know if webers have them but pierburgs have a little filter in the carb itself tucked up into the pipe where the fuel line attaches. That can get clogged.  I hope the new carb sorts it out.

Back to the top
Ive had identical problem, followed all the good advice above, but found the problem with the hall sensor in the dizzy, it was a ducellier so couldnt change the sensor. Fitted a bosch dizzy and cured the problem, been over a year now, was seriously thinking of getting rid of it, as it was doing my head in, but all good now, good luck  :D

Back to the top
Ive now replaced the flange between the carb and inlet manifold,  and drained the fuel tank looking for water. However there wasnt any water in the fuel tank so Im guessing that i must have been drawing the bad fuel from the vapour trap. Therefore i have now removed the vapour trap, have run the main fuel line from the pump directly into the carb and have blanked the return pipe. Ive also renewed the vacuum pipes.
Yesterday i checked the dizzy cap and noticed that the rotor arm was about burnt out, so ive changed them over and overall the car is running better, although not 100%. I dont know if the timing is out slightly or whether the weber twin choke (32/34 dtml) is needing to be set up correctly.

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top
Afternoon all,

Finally got around to fitting the new Weber last nite, held up due to losing the shoulder stud that goes into the mounting plate! Weber got a new one out to me the following day - nice one.

It all went on very well and back together fine.

One turn of the key and she fired into life and was running fine, so lowered the tickover with the choke and left to warm up. Then set up the tickover and went for a quick run. It did seem a little bit more responsive too.
I only went about a mile or so last nite after about 15 minutes of warm up but it all seems to be running very nicely again!
I am going to go for a proper run early Saturday morning just for peace of mind but fingers crossed etc. it's looking good!
I will have a look around the old carb at the weekend too and check for muck inside.

I just want to say thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions, hopefully I'm all sorted and running again!

KennyE, I'm going to put a new dizzy on too at some point, just for another peace of mind. Probably overhaul everything at some point. After all, it cant hurt!
Macca, it sounds like you're on the right track too mate! Good luck it getting yours up to 100%!

Once again, thanks everyone! All the help is much appreciated!

I will let you know how the drive goes at the weekend!

Marcus

Back to the top
Marcus mate, chuffed to hear that!

great new to hear my old baby is running sweet again

We are attending a show at Berkley castle in gloucester at the end of the month where we got best club stand last year, and a show in Malvern in October

for Berkley see here

The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

for Malvern see here

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=121401&highlight=malvern

be great if your free and wanted to pop down, feel free to po your name down

Rich

1.8T CABBY
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.