Skip navigation

Rad Question

Back to the top

Rad Question

Phataz1 said

One of my mates has fitted a BAM in his mk1, with all sorts of cool little tricks.  Check the expansion tank in the rain tray :wink:

Not sure what rad he is using but it looks bigger than any mk1 rad :? Certainly keeps it cool anyway!

Looks like he has used the mk4 rad i was thinking of going that root

Back to the top
sounds like the topfil rad has a blockage, either that or its constantly air-locking. go back over your mk4 hoses make sure you havent blanked off something you shouldnt.

the rad in the pic looks about the size of a normal mk1/2 1.8 rad

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
What could you blank off that would make it do that?

Back to the top
if you blanked off the wrong hose it will either stop coolant circulating properly or cause an air lock that is hard to clear

Back to the top
Right did a full flush on the coolant system to day checked all pipes then fitted a mk2 1.8 rad with a mk4 header tank put it all on filled up bleed it drove it boiled over, took thermo out bleed it checked all pipes drove it boiled over again, re bleed the system drove it pop the hose off & boiled over again

ANY ONE WANNA BUY A MK1 ARGGGHH

Back to the top
did you replace the waterpump? if not, do so asap. 1.8t pumps are weak

Back to the top

rubjonny said

did you replace the waterpump? if not, do so asap. 1.8t pumps are weak

Yer its brand new mate put in when put the engine in

Back to the top
have a read of this:
http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14913

especially the bit about the thin hose to the header tank. if nothing is coming up then either a blockage somewhere or the new waterpump you bought was rubbish!

Back to the top

rubjonny said

have a read of this:
http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14913

especially the bit about the thin hose to the header tank. if nothing is coming up then either a blockage somewhere or the new waterpump you bought was rubbish!

I have read that already :) The pump was working ok before the new rad was fitted i think i might have a blockage but i was on it nearly all day trying to get it to run right but still the hose poped off as it was boiling up it a nightmare

Back to the top
Ok so the car runs fine but soon as the car get war the temp keeps going up and the pressure get more as it keeps getting hotter n hotter till it pops a hose off from the pressure

Back to the top
Could be more than just radiator, sounds like it could be a head gasket gone if its getting that much pressure in the system, get a compression test and a gas sniffer test done to check.

'81 1.8T
BMW R1200GSA
Caddy 2k 1.8T

Back to the top

mrpurple said

Could be more than just radiator, sounds like it could be a head gasket gone if its getting that much pressure in the system, get a compression test and a gas sniffer test done to check.

Had the compression test done all fine just waiting on the sniffer kit to arrive in the post i put my money on it being the NEW water pump lol

Back to the top
Does the new pump you fitted have a metal or a plastic impeller, the plastic ones are notorious for failing, they just smash off the drive and are then useless, I will only ever fit the metal impeller ones which rarely fail.

'81 1.8T
BMW R1200GSA
Caddy 2k 1.8T

Back to the top

mrpurple said

Does the new pump you fitted have a metal or a plastic impeller, the plastic ones are notorious for failing, they just smash off the drive and are then useless, I will only ever fit the metal impeller ones which rarely fail.

To be honest i'm not sure i think my friend got me one from cas witch had the brown looking impeller on it so yea i'm guessing its that as cheap and plastic

Back to the top
the reason the vw ones are plastic is if anything gets in the coolant and wedges the waterpump or if the impeller falls off the pump doesnt jam up, shred the belt and bend all the valves.

Back to the top

rubjonny said

the reason the vw ones are plastic is if anything gets in the coolant and wedges the waterpump or if the impeller falls off the pump doesnt jam up, shred the belt and bend all the valves.

Yer there shit still as they fail.

Back to the top
yup, cant say im impressed with the mk4 pumps they just dont last! but at least when they do fail they wont take the belt and valves with them :lol:

Back to the top
It confirmed today head gasket has gone pressuring the system :( :( :(

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.