Skip navigation

Rad Question

Back to the top

Rad Question

Ok so running a mk2 top fill rad on the mk1 and it decided to over heat on a long journey. I'm a bit worried that its going to get worse once the car's mapped as its only 150bhp at the min and will be around 270-280bhp once mapped so QUESTION

What is the difference between the top fill rad and the rad with the header tank out the g60s mk2 16v ect as they are the same size in diameters so is there a better rad to use or is it a case of a decant fan and keep same rad which is the top fill one i have at the min??

cheers

Back to the top
decent fan and a decent low temp switch on it

Back to the top

JonP said

decent fan and a decent low temp switch on it

Low temp switch from what ?

Back to the top
for the mk1, last i got had two temp settings on it.

Back to the top

JonP said

for the mk1, last i got had two temp settings on it.

lol i know what for i'm asking from what would you get the low temp switch or do you just ask for a low temp switch from vw ??

Back to the top
you did ask from what though ;)

mine had options to run at 85 or 95

Back to the top

JonP said

you did ask from what though ;)

mine had options to run at 85 or 95

Ahh right so you can get a low temp switch for a mk1 that fits the top fill rad

Back to the top
got it from vwspares. 3pin type

Back to the top
better fan wont help though if not overheating when you're driving along. if you have aftermarket fan build a shroud for it. just plonking it on rad will make it really inefficient

edit: doh!

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
If it overheats whilst driving,there is something very wrong,bigger rad needed

Back to the top
doh i meant if its not overheating when driving along :lol:

Back to the top
Bit tricky with the engines layout and lack of room in the mk1 bay to get the fan cover in place.

Back to the top
yah, like i say you need to make one, or find slimline in scrappy. iirc a mate of mine mentioned some random rover has lovely small fan and shroud that pretty much bolts onto 1.6 size rad?

nowt wrong with most slimline fans in themselves, just as i say slinging one on a rad by itself isnt going to work well. you need a shroud to make sure it pulls air thru the entire surface area

Back to the top
This is sorted now after 3 hours of trying it ended up being a air block because where one of the pipes not needed was blocked off was actually seeping air in.

Back to the top
NO… the problems still here put a shroud on did nothing put a bigger and better fan did a little better but end result is the rad is still boiling over no matter what i'v tried next step change rad i think

Back to the top
is it fine when driving? only boiling in traffic? how hot does it get before it boils

Back to the top
boiling when driving and when stud still its not long before the fan kicks in then it just keeps going high and higher

Back to the top
ok either something is wrong with cooling system, engine is runnign too hot for some reason or rad is broken/not good enough.

does the whole rad get hot? is it a single or double core? (how thick is it)

Back to the top
One of my mates has fitted a BAM in his mk1, with all sorts of cool little tricks.  Check the expansion tank in the rain tray :wink:

Not sure what rad he is using but it looks bigger than any mk1 rad :? Certainly keeps it cool anyway!

Back to the top
Not sure if its single or double brought it as a topfill rad  off here its about inch & half thick and not every time has the hole rad been hot some times the filler side has been cold.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.