Skip navigation

Black X reg series 2 16v on bike carbs, H + H ignition

Back to the top

Black X reg series 2 16v on bike carbs, H + H ignition

In 2004 i owned a very nippy 200sx and only covering 1k in miles in the last year of owvership (2004) it needed to be sold. after a few years of owning standard cars and seeing lots of cars that inspired me i decided i needed something to keep the petrol head inside happy. 2010 I asked a mate who worked at a local scrappy if he ever came across a mk1 to give me a shout and within 3 hours on the same day (fate some would say or good luck) i had a picture message showing me a ratty looking but solid mk1 5dr in mars red that only needed a horn fixing and 2 cv boots to get it a test ticket.

I got the golf on the road for christmas 2010 after a few weeks of owning it and getting to know some info on the various forums i had big plans, but my heart just wasnt in it i was longing for a 2dr gti so feb2011 i sold the little red 5dr to a mate for his wife to use as a daily (which she did for a year untill the engine dropped its oil all over there driveway) and started searching.

After missing out on a 1.9 tsr black mk1 that was only 40miles away my friend had found a possible mk1 on ebay trouble was it was 305miles away in bristol i was unsucessful but got a 2nd chance offer due to the 1st person not been able to insure it

Ebay add

Turns out the car was owned by a guy off here called milesthebeard and i took the gamble got on a plane from newcastle airport flew to bristol there was pretty much nothing i could do but buy it or it would have been a long journey home

heres a few pics of when miles had it

After a deal was made it was time for the long journey home the engine didnt seem to bad until i opened it up on the motorway and it turns out it was burning oil quite badly when anything but a steady right foot was applied. however no problems occured on the way home that is untill the main road coming into where i live (4miles from my house) the fuel pump died so was stuck waiting for a tow after a very long day the golf was home and getting tucked up in the garage till i had some time to work on it

after fixing the fuel pump with help of my now good vw buddy IBFAN on here the golf was on the road again just burning oil like a chain smoker

heres a few pics i took after i had got the new fuel pump on

plans were to get the engine rebuilt and just tidy up what was a very sad looking mk1

more to follow……

1.8 16valve mk1 series 2 black.  barp!

Seat inca 1.9 sd van

Back to the top
after a few weeks of driving it about i came across an engine in york that had only done roughly 26-30 miles since a 1.4k rebuilt so deposit was put down and i started taking engine out of my golf april 2010

picked up the engine from york with a the original rebuild reciept and was eager to get it in and going

i took this on with it been the very first engine swap i had ever done and was bit knew to it all (still got mechanical skills just bit weak) progress was slow waiting on few daft bits and working shifts and it wasnt until august 2010 that i finaly got it all connected up and running……

after getting it in and running i was having issues with only having 3 gears.
i had replaced the linkage with a new bush kit and forgot to mark where everything went i was able to get it into 3rd 4th and 5th enough to drive it in and out of garage to work on

having had a few days doing the odd bit i went to start it up to have one big go at getting all the teething problems sorted truned the key and nothing went thru checking everything and turns out it had gone thru another fuel pump!!!!! so i was sat in the garage pissed off and deided to get on the hunt for bike carbs as it would get rid of the kr injection and it was something i was aiming to do in the future

i purchased these carbs advertised as r1 carbs with everything needed for the conversion 5hr round trip to pick them up and over the next week i had them fitted was just waiting to fit fuel pump amd things. i decided to test the fuel pump to see if it was working before i plumbedit in and it turns out it was a duffa so i saved up and purchased a facet

mouted this and wired in my own fuel pump switch as i think the old circuit was the problem with the injection pumps breaking

I didnt like the chopped down kr manifold as it just didnt make the carbs sit right under the bonnet so i took it to work to fine tune it and just ended up getting frustraded with how bodged it had been in the first place. so i got in contact with a guy off this forum called Phataz and he made me a manifold up (it was the first 16v mani he had done)

2nd attempt got the manifold spot on and got to say the guy is a top fabricator will deffinatley be using him again in the future
heres his work

after collecting the mani off him it wasnt until a few weeks later that i had chance to fit the carbs

in this time i had been to the classic car show at the NEC and had been talking to 2 guys from H+H ignitions solutions i had already heard a bit about them and decided that this was the ignition set up i was going to use

i was having trouble tho regarding the dizzy cap fauling the bigger servo and mc so just to see if we could get the car running i unbolted the mc and mounted the h+h with the longer dizzy which it pretty much fired up first time.

i didnt have a rad connected so only ran it to see if it would go. untill i had time to mount the rad and the slim line fans
corsa rad

after mounting them and doing all the plumbing i was still having issuses with the dizzy fouling the mc after a lot of reseach and coming up with not many solutions i found a 205 gti dizzy cap fitted but needed the connections changing so sent leads to magnecor where the swapped them over and gave leads a once over all for £25

now this was done it was a case of getting it running and then going thru the check list

more to follow…..

Seat inca 1.9 sd van

Back to the top
well havent ran the car since april thinking it was something major turns out there was a knackerd fuel hose from tank to pump replaced it filled up tank with a petty can connected battery couple of cranks and BOOOM running golf again

still have loads of issues but now i im back where i was i can start going thru them. spent some of the afternoon messing around with wheels to see what widths i can get away with its running 7's front 8's rear at the minute but i want 8's front and 8.5's rear and i want it ratty racer looking so going with plactic gti arches aswell carl let me use the ones he had spare to try and the then a 12mm spacer in the rear made it look mean on the stance with a tiny bit of poke from the dish and same at the front with an 8 on so thats what im going to do

tried centre caps i had made at work with the oz centre stickers i got off carl when i bought the wheels off of him

hope you like

more updates over the next few weeks now ive got the buzz back 1.5 years of the road is way to slow progress for meh

Well today I tried to solve an on going problem with the wipers not working since April. It's been a problem with cars 2 previous owners so basically a 7 year old problem

Lucky I had a spare loom I won off eBay at the end of may so took my time going over what we thought it was (dodgy earthing) look at wiper loom from engine side into fuse box noticed on the spare loom I had the earth going into the fuse box had a connection coming out of it where the one on my car didn't so wired in an earth to the earth on the wiper loom and boom there you have it 7yr old problem fixed in half an hour

Oooouuuusssshhhhh so happy might have it on the road by next week

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:45 AM

Well yesterday morning got up at 4:30am to go for a surf before 12hr day shift got home 7pm and 7:30 had 3-3.5hrs working on golf.

Now has working horn/all electrics

Starts first turn

Brakes that are bled and working.

It's booked in for a test on Saturday with just a small list of about 10-15 minor things so excited it's so close to be back on the road even tho it's gotten in a sorry state paint job wise I don't care :-)
well to anyone whos interested car was mot'd on saturday and taxed on monday and since then have done about 120 miles and just odd little issues with it.
more updates soon

Seat inca 1.9 sd van

Back to the top
some of this has been taken off my build thread on another forum so dates might be a bit mixed up had car up and running a good 3 weeks but the other day broke a water hose and dont have a replacement so trying to get hold of one. cars booked in for an carb tune at bogg brothers on 30th this month try and sort out few running issues i have with carbs on half throttle will update whenever i can if peeps are interested my build thread on the other forum didnt get much attention but guess its not bling bling and all shiney for some ;-)

Seat inca 1.9 sd van

Back to the top
Looks really nice, any plans for it? :D

'87 Mk1 Cabby.
MK5 Golf Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Back to the top
How is this one going?

Back to the top
well havent updated this in ages so heres a few pics of how it stands at the minute

thats how it stands yesterday hope you like

Seat inca 1.9 sd van

Back to the top
Wow looks like you have been busy dismantling mate. What's the plan for her now? Build her back up again with the same engine or going for something different?

Good luck

Smudger

Back to the top
keeping the 1.8 16v, different carb setup and a tidy bay not smoothed but somewhere inbetween whats not needed and easy to get to if something brakes

cheers for looking :-)

Seat inca 1.9 sd van

Back to the top
Nice little project mate. Good luck with it. When you hoping to have her ready by?

Back to the top
not sure be doing as much as i can myself and with IBFAN on here my local vw best buddy just have to see as i have been collecting parts and odds and sods but might have to use my paint money for something else now i would love it for edition38 show but thats pie in the sky especially if i change the colour

Seat inca 1.9 sd van

Back to the top
Love those wheels!  :cool:

Back to the top
wait till you see them once there built back up again

Seat inca 1.9 sd van

Back to the top
started on the bay on friday lot of hrs to go on it but just going to plod away at it going to try and get 20hrs a week done on it see how far i get

hope its keeping it interesting for you

Seat inca 1.9 sd van

Back to the top
Keep the pics coming matey. Looks good. :)

Back to the top
The work on the carbs looks great. If they are looking for a new home let me know :lol:Looks like good work on the engine bay so far.

E ;)

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

bit more done today going to try and get my ickle compressor fixed tomorrow and use a better way of sanding it down

Seat inca 1.9 sd van

Back to the top
Getting there mate, slowly but surely :)

Back to the top
Good progress, just finished stripping the daffodil out of my engine bay and i used a grinder with the twisted wire ends, works a treat

Back to the top
Looks like theres no turning back now. Are you going to tackle the paint yourself or is it going to go to a bodyshop?

Also wondering where in the North East you are cos I'm from near Bishop Auckland in Co Durham.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.